Downturn Survival & Planning

DogwoodLynx

You guys are hilarious. It's truly comical watching grown men revert to frightened children.

I feel bad for the hourly workers that are getting screwed right now. I'm buying as much takeout from local restraints as I can get away with. I honestly think that the economic impact will kill more people than the disease.

You guys go back to your bunkers, I'll be at the playground with my kids getting disinfected with some Texas sunshine.
What sunshine? Raining in DFW today (not that I’d ever complain about rain)

USMCmech

What sunshine? Raining in DFW today (not that I’d ever complain about rain)
It was actually quite pleasant this morning and afternoon. The upside is that there are a lot of kids out walking and riding their bikes in my neighborhood.

I really wish we had school breaks during the spring and fall instead of our entire miserable summer, the kids just stay inside anyway. 9 weeks on, 3 off year round or something like that.

DogwoodLynx

It was actually quite pleasant this morning and afternoon. The upside is that there are a lot of kids out walking and riding their bikes in my neighborhood.

I really wish we had school breaks during the spring and fall instead of our entire miserable summer, the kids just stay inside anyway. 9 weeks on, 3 off year round or something like that.
Agreed. More time spent outside is always a great thing!

OneNineHundy

Hey guys. Wondering if any of you kind folk could please recommend a good expense tracking app that you might use. Features such as...

-One that my wife can have on her phone and also on mine that updates in real time.
-Happy to pay a one off fee for no adds and not an ongoing subscription.
-Enter income.
-Subcategories for different expenses.
-Simple.
-Can use in any country.

Basically I want to find out exactly what my monthly expenditure is to make a plan.

Thanks so much guys.

Screaming_Emu

Great and Unmatched Wisdom
*shrug* is anyone better off for reading belittling stuff like this? I'm pretty sure I'm on the record not at all caring what @USMCmech says, but at some point I took the time to read it and now dumber for doing so. Like- you can respond, but the hyperbole is just rhetorical. It's not interesting or informative, it's not compelling or related to anything in my life except. unless I miss my guess he's talking about people's decision making who I value more than his, so he's simply attacking them online like an entire bag of tools. I am forced to ask myself, if I never really cared what he thought, and he's judging people I like more than him severely when he doesn't even know their situation, and I'm not going to waste the time to defend someone who I don't know perfectly their situation, why allow myself to "watch it". It's just like TV, don't like what's on? change the channel.

*picks up clicker, hits mute*

ahhhh
Those acting tough about the corona virus is certainly the weirdest flex I’ve seen in recent history.

“Screw you and your science, I’m headed out to kill some old people!”

USMCmech

Those acting tough about the corona virus is certainly the weirdest flex I’ve seen in recent history.

My comments were more directed toward the "Its the end of the world as we know it" crowd. "Sell all your stock and invest in Gold" is a good way to lose your butt right now. There are a lot of irresponsible media reporting not to mention the crap Alex Jones is hawking.

Now, the flip side of "YOLO spring break 2020" idiots and Kid Rock keeping his bar open is just stupid.

We're in a for a few rough months and there will be plenty of problems, but civilization will hold.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Well at some point people will do what they wanna do. People wanna try and get COVID to trigger libs and bathe in their tears? Theyre gonna. We havent got the test kits, so we cant test everyone. We cant point to a group and say, clap that man in irons, default is at 6 bells.

In my opinion the less we use china as an example of anything the better for me. We get more test kits, we can start isolating effectively. Now we all just assume we have it and assume your transmitting it? That works for some. Tough for pilots. And a lot of other people.
Not using them as a positive example, just saying they didn’t shoot their own economy in the foot just for a case of the sneezles.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!

And they ain't kidding. I blame those positivity books where if you just believe enough anything is possible.
Not using them as a positive example, just saying they didn’t shoot their own economy in the foot just for a case of the sneezles.
Absolutely on overall point and no argument. There is an Earth 2 example where something else infectious happens, they don't respond and then over react and it turns out for nothing. Boy that'd be great if true here- and hey *crosses fingers* if that's still an option on the board, rock and roll. On Earth Prime all evidence points to a very real virus running a train on the elderly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/fk8n4y

Attachments

A80TRACON

Hey guys. Wondering if any of you kind folk could please recommend a good expense tracking app that you might use. Features such as...

-One that my wife can have on her phone and also on mine that updates in real time.
-Happy to pay a one off fee for no adds and not an ongoing subscription.
-Enter income.
-Subcategories for different expenses.
-Simple.
-Can use in any country.

Basically I want to find out exactly what my monthly expenditure is to make a plan.

Thanks so much guys.
Look at Mint (Intuit) or 1Money

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Honestly, a Google Sheet would be cheaper and better for a wide array of reasons.
But it doesn't auto update with transactions, I used to do this method many moons ago and entered all receipts. It was agony.

@OneNineHundy we use a combination of Moneydance and Mint nowadays. Not perfect for what I want but gets the job done. Check out Clarity, Personal Captial and Money Pro all are robust. I dabbled with each awhile back and they seem to have promise. Tons of apps out there which is kind of the problem too. Read the fine print as well with what they do with your data.

dustoff17

Well the upside to all of this is the Senator from NC that, shortly after telling the US public that things are fine went and used the, then secret, info on the spread of Corona to sell off a bunch of stock (est $1.7m). THEN had a VIP luncheon with a bunch of his rich buddies and told them to do the same!

At least the rich are getting richer...…..:sarcasm:

Last edited:

CaptainYoda

ok, let me expand on my earlier comment.

Downturn Survival Planning

First, the down turn, yep, too late to prepare. Sucks to be you. But you can still learn a lesson for next time.

There are really no surprise lessons here.
Save as much as you can and diversify.
Cash is king. Skip the gold until you have a house paid for and a years salary saved up.
Then you can screw around with investments that can crumble for any reason.
(honestly... buying gold is stupid, I've never EVER seen it save a portfolio, save a starving person, and you will NEVER get you money out of it during a crisis)

Yeah, I know many people are struggling and don't get paid crap. No matter what your salary, save save save. This don turn WILL recover (eventually) and there will be ANOTHER recession/depression/natural or unnatural disaster. It's called life... and it is absolutely not fair.

Drive a modest car, drink at home, buy inexpensive yet practical everything.

Save during the boom, spend during the bust. Especially with housing.

There is a million ways to maneuver at any financial class, sure, when you're poor, you have fewer options and many MANY more traps, you're playing on difficult mode.

Money isn't the only resource. Food and water are required. 1-3 months of food that doesn't spoil is a good idea. 50lb bag of rice is pretty cheap. So are dry beans and a pressure cooker. Eat at home, bring your lunch and save save save.

Also, workout a lot... To look good? Screw that. Because health care, (insurance or not) is FREAKING EXPENSIVE.
No point on saving $100k if you're going to blow it on doctors visits because you're sick with chronic cardiovascular disease.
60 minutes of cardio/day minimum. (seriously)
It's also handy during a short term/long term emergency (there movies about this!!!!)

See, it's just long term planning.

Of, you need guns to survive? Going to but 100,000 rounds and be the Last Man On Earth?
I want you to go on a 10 mile hike with 300 rounds of your favorite ammo.
In the real world, you might have to relocate.
So many people have ammo for a 60 day siege but would die of exhaustion after running 100m.

Back to money, Want to save? Don't get married, don't have kids.
Or, in the very least, wail until you have a house paid for and a nice nest egg.
Pushing out a crotch parasite by you or significant other will cost you a MINIMUM of $500k over the next 18-25 years (EACH!!)
Even more if you actually like them.

Not to mention that marriage has a 50% chance on costing you 70-90% of your EVERYTHING, and at least 50% of your future EVERYTHING.
Some poor gullible bastards do this 2-5 times and still don't learn.

When do you plan for the winter? during the previous spring, and act during the summer.
When do you plan for hurricane season? during the previous fall and act during the winter.
When do you plan for the plague/zombies/aliens/revolution/the Apocalypse/Dogs-and-Cats-Living-Together-Mass-Hysteria?!
Months, years, decades ahead of time.

Follow the crowd, follow the panic, and you always pay too much, for too little, buying the wrong things except for the "SUCKER" tattoo on your forehead.

Blame who you want, be prepared, be maneuverable.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
This could be a selfish thought, but I am really wondering if this will cause the west coast to chill out a little on the horrendous cost of living. If the economy really does tank, pretty sure Californians won’t be spending 700k for a townhouse anymore.
No....they'll spend $500,000 for a townhouse.....and $200,000 on the renovation.
I'm in the middle of a refinance of the house I bought 20 years ago so I can settle my divorce, the loan has been approved but things are moving very slowly now. My little shack is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath 900 sq ft house with a 1 car garage built in 1954 on a 4200 sq ft lot, I bought it for $145K in 2000, it was just appraised at $540K. I'm not sure how this crisis will effect real estate values. The rent for a studio apartment in my area is more than my current mortgage payment, even with the increase from the refinance it's cheaper than the rent for a 1 bedroom apartment. My house is a large part of my exit from California / retirement plan. Just have to wait and see.

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Well, now youre doing the finger pointing game. Did they cry "fire" in a crowded room? I say no. It seems like they cried "what is that? Is it a monster? Watch our coverage at 11-o-all-the-time-oclock"

Frankly, its news flavored entertainment, and its hard to argue theres a lot more dead people lying around than november. Sure we will get used to it, like the drunk diving deaths. But its unreasonable for people to get used to it when its another bite on the leg. To me it seems like a lot of "couple thousand dead here and there, pretty soon ill give a crap."

Whats really weird to me is that an economy propped up by confidence and market value is somehow completely annhilated when the confidence goes down. Boy. What a robust economy.

Lol. Be funnier if it wasnt a million times more sad.
Confidence in the economy tends to wane when everyone is simultaneously told not to work anymore.