Downturn Survival & Planning

Cherokee_Cruiser

Best case scenario? In the next month they find antivirals that work and develop an antibody test that determines if you’ve been exposed and developed immunity. Those two developments help keep ICUs clear and get people back into society. Then the virus fades with summer like the flu and we buy more time to test, trace, and isolate.

Worst case? Trump keeps pumping out idiocy and ignites a proxy conflict with an Iran or Russia that’s on edge due to the pandemic.
TDS strikes again. :rolleyes:

This thing has been rampant in warm places in Asia so I doubt summer will slow it down here. And I thought it wasn’t a “flu.”

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
TDS strikes again. :rolleyes:

This thing has been rampant in warm places in Asia so I doubt summer will slow it down here. And I thought it wasn’t a “flu.”
actually in the warmer (and humid, that seems to be a bigger key) although it has still spread it communicability seems to be quite lower compared to more temperate/cold climates.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
actually in the warmer (and humid, that seems to be a bigger key) although it has still spread it communicability seems to be quite lower compared to more temperate/cold climates.
Yeah, will be interesting to see how this plays out in India. With their dense population and high poverty rate I would have expected it to be destroying people there by now.

A80TRACON

better hurry, there’s been a run on bidets too.

Agreed, Amazon is out of the Kohler one I wanted for my downstairs toilet so I just ended up ordering it from Kohler direct.

USMCmech

You guys are hilarious. It's truly comical watching grown men revert to frightened children.

I feel bad for the hourly workers that are getting screwed right now. I'm buying as much takeout from local restraints as I can get away with. I honestly think that the economic impact will kill more people than the disease.

You guys go back to your bunkers, I'll be at the playground with my kids getting disinfected with some Texas sunshine.

dustoff17

Shall I buy tactical jackets and/or chest armor plates? They're currently on sale.
As with toilet paper, and ammo, if you don't already have this, you're running late! :confused2:

I'm with @USMCmech, this too, shall pass. If common sense were, in fact, common, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in.

As for my economic plans, I'm going to be home changing the signs on my kid's booth from "Lemonade" to "Toilet Paper". I think they'll do good this year!

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
You guys are hilarious. It's truly comical watching grown men revert to frightened children.

I feel bad for the hourly workers that are getting screwed right now. I'm buying as much takeout from local restraints as I can get away with. I honestly think that the economic impact will kill more people than the disease.

You guys go back to your bunkers, I'll be at the playground with my kids getting disinfected with some Texas sunshine.
*shrug* is anyone better off for reading belittling stuff like this? I'm pretty sure I'm on the record not at all caring what @USMCmech says, but at some point I took the time to read it and now dumber for doing so. Like- you can respond, but the hyperbole is just rhetorical. It's not interesting or informative, it's not compelling or related to anything in my life except. unless I miss my guess he's talking about people's decision making who I value more than his, so he's simply attacking them online like an entire bag of tools. I am forced to ask myself, if I never really cared what he thought, and he's judging people I like more than him severely when he doesn't even know their situation, and I'm not going to waste the time to defend someone who I don't know perfectly their situation, why allow myself to "watch it". It's just like TV, don't like what's on? change the channel.

*picks up clicker, hits mute*

ahhhh

Box hauler

Think what you will but no matter how you cut it this is a double edge sword. If you don’t take precautions to limit an explosion of hospitalizations we will have one just like Italy. Besides the massive influx of people who may need to be hospitalized for the virus you still have all of the other medical emergencies that happen everyday. It’s not just that people may die from the virus, thousands could die from completely unrelated emergencies because hospital capacity is overwhelmed. My wife is a Doc so I currently have the pleasure of having this conversation everyday. This truly is a damn if you do / don’t situation.

Richman

But lets say it is all overblown, hyped up by the media's need for 24 hour content and other shills who have an agenda or just want their name in lights. What if it turns out that all the statistics and predictions were all full of poo?

Then those people would have caused the greatest destruction of wealth in human history, and caused untold economic harm to billions of people.

And you can bet those same people will ride off, scott free, without so much as a sniffle in their conscience.

USMCmech

Think what you will but no matter how you cut it this is a double edge sword. ..... This truly is a damn if you do / don’t situation.
My late wife was a MD too. We discussed what we would do when (not if) this happened.

I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind at all. However IMHO the "sky is falling crowd" is honestly the more dangerous element of this crisis. Right now, there is a restaurant owner who is stressing himself into a heart attack. The panic buying of staple foods (and TP) has gotten ridiculous. Of course there are thousands who are bailing out of the stock market at exactly the wrong time and will be ruined financially.

Of course I feel terrible about all the TSA and Compass employees who just got screwed. I'll do anything I can to support all my friends who will be furloughed in the coming months. However I honestly believe that things will be back to normal 12 months from now.

For the record, we are following all the CDC guidelines and limiting our social interactions. But I'm not filling my garage with TP and rice, and my kids are enjoying playing in the driveway.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
But lets say it is all overblown, hyped up by the media's need for 24 hour content and other shills who have an agenda or just want their name in lights. What if it turns out that all the statistics and predictions were all full of poo?

Then those people would have caused the greatest destruction of wealth in human history, and caused untold economic harm to billions of people.

And you can bet those same people will ride off, scott free, without so much as a sniffle in their conscience.
Well, now youre doing the finger pointing game. Did they cry "fire" in a crowded room? I say no. It seems like they cried "what is that? Is it a monster? Watch our coverage at 11-o-all-the-time-oclock"

Frankly, its news flavored entertainment, and its hard to argue theres a lot more dead people lying around than november. Sure we will get used to it, like the drunk diving deaths. But its unreasonable for people to get used to it when its another bite on the leg. To me it seems like a lot of "couple thousand dead here and there, pretty soon ill give a crap."

Whats really weird to me is that an economy propped up by confidence and market value is somehow completely annhilated when the confidence goes down. Boy. What a robust economy.

Lol. Be funnier if it wasnt a million times more sad.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun

But it’s not. China sure as heck didn’t lock down millions of people because the media scared them, and were watching Italy melt down in real time. Should we do a control where we keep Seattle shut down but let New York run it’s course?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
But it’s not. China sure as heck didn’t lock down millions of people because the media scared them, and were watching Italy melt down in real time. Should we do a control where we keep Seattle shut down but let New York run it’s course?
Well at some point people will do what they wanna do. People wanna try and get COVID to trigger libs and bathe in their tears? Theyre gonna. We havent got the test kits, so we cant test everyone. We cant point to a group and say, clap that man in irons, default is at 6 bells.

In my opinion the less we use china as an example of anything the better for me. We get more test kits, we can start isolating effectively. Now we all just assume we have it and assume your transmitting it? That works for some. Tough for pilots. And a lot of other people.