Double floatplane crash Ketchikan

ShortField

No one of consequence
KTUU is saying the Otter was Taquan and the beaver was somebody else, as yet unnamed. Princess cruises is saying it was an “independent”.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
KTUU is saying the Otter was Taquan and the beaver was somebody else, as yet unnamed. Princess cruises is saying it was an “independent”.
I’ve heard a rumor but I’d rather not post on here until it’s confirmed. Seems to be one of the single-aircraft tour ops.

Cherokee_Cruiser

When I went on a cruise with a Ketchikan stopover, I didn’t go with Taquan for the simple reason they were expensive and filled with our own cruise passengers. I went with Carlin Air and booked it ahead of time. We (wife and son) ended up being the only ones on the Beaver. My main concern was there were way too many planes coming in/out in that timeframe when the ship is parked there.

One month later, Promech had a CFIT in low clouds at Ketchikan with cruise passengers from the same Holland America cruise we took.

FlyingAccountant

I’ve heard a rumor but I’d rather not post on here until it’s confirmed. Seems to be one of the single-aircraft tour ops.
Mountain Air Service is what I heard on the news this morning.

It sounds like everyone on Taquan survived and everyone on MAS didn't make it. The Otter ended up largely in one piece, but it sounds like the Beaver either broke up in air or hit the ground/water at a high rate of speed because there wasn't much of it left.

Last edited:

Roger Roger

Mountain Air Service is what I heard on the news this morning.

It sounds like everyone on Taquan survived and everyone on MAS didn't make it. The Otter ended up largely in one piece, but it sounds like the Beaver either broke up in air or hit the ground/water at a high rate of speed because there wasn't much of it left.
I believe news said one on the Otter perished. Word I heard was the Otter made a forced landing but flipped during the process. The Beaver crashes out of control.

Roger Roger

When I went on a cruise with a Ketchikan stopover, I didn’t go with Taquan for the simple reason they were expensive and filled with our own cruise passengers. I went with Carlin Air and booked it ahead of time. We (wife and son) ended up being the only ones on the Beaver. My main concern was there were way too many planes coming in/out in that timeframe when the ship is parked there.

One month later, Promech had a CFIT in low clouds at Ketchikan with cruise passengers from the same Holland America cruise we took.
It will be interesting to see if there were contributing factors in this midair or if it was simply a failure of big sky. Both aircraft are said to be adsb equipped.

That said, looking at the last 10 years I’d be very hesitant to put my family on any of the KTN tour operations.

Cherokee_Cruiser

It will be interesting to see if there were contributing factors in this midair or if it was simply a failure of big sky. Both aircraft are said to be adsb equipped.

That said, looking at the last 10 years I’d be very hesitant to put my family on any of the KTN tour operations.
I question the glass gizmos. The Carlin Air had a glass installation that showed traffic on it. I got to sit next to the pilot on the Beaver, and saw another Beaver little higher, 1 o'clock. I pointed it out to the pilot and he saw it as well. I looked at the glass screen, no airplane was there.

Roger Roger

I question the glass gizmos. The Carlin Air had a glass installation that showed traffic on it. I got to sit next to the pilot on the Beaver, and saw another Beaver little higher, 1 o'clock. I pointed it out to the pilot and he saw it as well. I looked at the glass screen, no airplane was there.
The glass works beautifully if it is trained on and maintained properly. I literally trusted that stuff with my life for much of the 2000 hours I’ve flown in AK. But like anything it also has limitations.