1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do a lot of people wash out of dispatcher school?

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by Anthony18216, Oct 17, 2017.

1. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

manniax likes this.
  2. ak_mavic

ak_mavic Well-Known Member

In my class there were seven of us. I was the only one to get their certificate by graduation. I followed up with the school a year later and most dropped out, with about two still actively trying to obtain their certificate. As for my company, I’d say about 25% of new hires don’t get signed off.

3. mrezee

mrezee Living the dream!

That's great advice. You'll always make mistakes as you're learning, but with some hard work and a desire to learn, you'll be up to speed in no time.

When I was going for ATC, something my ATC professor in college used to say was "when you get to your facility, you don't know nothing about nothing." Despite being a triple-negative, it was good advice to be humble and ready to absorb information and advice from those around you. Don't be cocky and act like a know-it-all or your new coworkers will quickly despise working with you. Unfortunately we've had a few of those start at my shop lately....

manniax, av8or757 and thegriffinpages like this.
  4. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

At Sheffield this past April and May we had like 39 start; we filled both classrooms initially. Only 13 of us got our tickets. That said, a few people had to leave due to personal issues, and I don't know if any of them made plans to return to school.

5. R2D

R2D ACK

That's incredible. I was in a class of 9 and as far as I know, we all passed. Some struggled, but we had a great instructor to guide us through. I think I am the only 121 dispatcher from the group.

6. Burrito

Burrito I'll ask the stupid questions

Hey man don't knock the ramp route... In some cases, it's the only way up the ladder. ;)

That, and patience. :)

mmosko76 and manniax like this.
  7. R2D

R2D ACK

Yep. Ramp route certainly works.

8. LX015

LX015 Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, you must be a young 'un.

9. MarkM0228

I never knocked the ramp or rampers; how could I when I once worked there myself? I was a fueler long ago, and I have respect for the rampers and what they do...

manniax and av8or757 like this.
  10. thegriffinpages

thegriffinpages Well-Known Member

Lol. Yep! 23...

11. DispatcherSam

DispatcherSam NOTAMed OTS

Go down to your local blockbuster video and rent a copy of the film “Airplane” or however you kids watch movies these days​

azmedic, manniax and thegriffinpages like this.
  12. thegriffinpages

thegriffinpages Well-Known Member

LOL! Blockbuster? Gosh I haven't seen one in 10 years or more!

13. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

There's one in Redmond OR

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    thegriffinpages likes this.
  14. av8or757

av8or757 Well-Known Member

No kidding. It's a very thankless job. If anything if you've done it, you'll appreciate any position outside of ramp if you make it off the ramp.

Empennagie likes this.
  15. autosave36

autosave36 Well-Known Member

It's not luck that you did well, you earned it. Good job there. Second, I'd say the things that determine whether you are going to pass are 1. how hard you work at it. (by far) 2. If you have an aptitude/passion for the subject matter and 3. how well you use others. my class used each other as resources as well as our materials and aside from the 2 people who were taking it a second time, everyone passed and most of us are working in dispatch now.

After class, like everyone said, thunderstorm season... Have a nice NY Irop on your first day signed off and then you'll know if you wasted your money to take the classes and everything.

manniax likes this.
  16. MAK49

MAK49 Well-Known Member

There’s 7 left in the US...two in Oregon, one in Texas, and the rest are in Alaska. Come up here, we’ve got plenty! They actually just closed the one in the town I live in this past summer.

thegriffinpages likes this.
  17. MarkM0228

I had an IROP day on my THIRD SHIFT! That's right; the third shift after being signed off was an IROP day. The funny thing is that this was in October; during the second week of October, we had a day that was more like a June or July day with a cold front spawning thunderstorms across much of the nation. That was NOT fun...

18. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

IROPs separate the boys from the men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett Spurgeon and fuelerdx like this.
  19. autosave36

autosave36 Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel you. I had the same thing happen only it was my first day signed off. New York totally melted down due to storms rolling in.. reroutes everywhere, people trying to get a hold of me, trying to make routes around thunderstorms and had a bunch of gate returns due to 2 hour taxis. Finally 8 hours into my shift i finally got a chance to catch my breath. Funny enough it was my birthday. But as bad/stressful as that was, it was still way more enjoyable than my last job so I stuck with it.

20. DispatchMonkey

DispatchMonkey Well-Known Member

That checks with my class at Sheff as well. Class of 11, 9 graduated. If I remember correctly, the 2 that didn't had no aviation experience entering the class. All others did.