Did you come to an aviation college without any prior aviation-related experience?

ktsai91

It seems that when I transferred to Farmingdale State College 2 years ago to go into the Aviation program to major in Aviation Administration, I was surprised at how extensive some of the aviation students experience in aviation were, such as their work experience, certificates earned, extracurricular activities, etc.

I met a couple of friends who have commercial pilot licenses already, some of my other friends had work experiences with an airline at a major airport, some of them work somewhere in airport operations, some even had A&P aircraft mechanic licenses before enrolling as a freshman in the college.

For me, I just had some flight training (hopefully I could get my sport pilot certificate someday) and the extracurricular activities I did related to aviation was being a member of an Aviation Exploring Post in high school and also playing Microsoft Flight Simulator (but that was a long time ago). I was at a community college for 5 semesters before transferring to Farmingdale and majoring in aviation. I had no work experience in aviation whatsoever before I came to Farmingdale.

This made me wonder: Do most students who enroll as a freshman or transfer student at an aviation college already have some kind of background in aviation like work experience, certificates earned, extracurricular activities etc,? Do you think there may be some aviation students who do not have any aviation background whatsoever by the time they start their first day at an aviation college?

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
I went in fresh. Don't think it matters all that much. I've seen really good pilots start fresh at the University and I've seen really good pilots come in with experience. I've also seen the other side of the coin in both cases.

staledog

I went in fresh. Don't think it matters all that much. I've seen really good pilots start fresh at the University and I've seen really good pilots come in with experience. I've also seen the other side of the coin in both cases.
Ditto. I went in with 0 hours and no experience. The funny thing is, before I started college, I went to the SIU college fair, or whatever it was. I saw the aviation program booth and thought "hey that would be cool", so I went over to talk to them. They were kind of dicks and basically said I would never be accepted to the program because I didn't have any flight background. Which in turn made me even more determined to get in. So I applied to the program, got accepted, and made it through SIU with my B.S. and my ratings in 3 years flat.

I had a my ppl when I first started college, probably 3 others had theirs as well. I took a couple years off of school, came back and no one in the class I'm in now had theirs.