Delta pilot arrested for suspicion of being drunk

Skåning

No one is going to ask you a question in that environment which they already don’t have an answer for, they’re simply validating your truthfulness or lack thereof.

“What time did you return to your hotel room”

“1800”

(Data shows 2338L... things just got interesting)
Proper answer:
“I do not recall”

Boris Badenov

He comes to save the day in a broken truck.
I did not know that! Very interesting. Here’s the link for that:

Hell and death, is there some way to disable this "feature" on my girlfriend's computer? Relax, I'm not tomcatting around, I'm too old for that, but if I get back at 11pm, I do NOT want to catch up over a late dinner, lest I wind up face down in the pasta.

nibake

Powder hound
I'm still not getting the emphasis on the concern about data being available about you. And I'm not trying to be obtuse.

What I'm hearing sounds an awful lot like a scenario where the company or investigators are going to dig into everything. So far so good, investigators should be able to do that. If they find out that I ate at Taco Bell, something no person with good judgment should do, as long as it didn't in some way contribute to what happened, that kind of info should not be used against me. If authorities tried to use info against me that was obtained for a different purpose, that is where a good lawyer comes in.

The other side of the equation, where the company is digging into every possible detail, what I'm hearing from y'all is what sounds like a scenario where they want to get me. And no matter what I do, if someone with access to massive amounts of data wants to "get" me, they are going to find a way. No amount of "covering my tracks" is going to help with that. For crying out loud, if the cops want to get you bad enough they will just plant drugs in your bag.

Maybe the reason I'm not getting this is because it doesn't apply to me, idk. I haven't and I'm not going to drink within 8 hours or show up to work with a BAC equal to or greater than the max. I may however, decide to use the first part or last parts of my rest period to meet with friends. If something went wrong on the next duty period, I think the burden of proof should be on whoever may be "out to get me" to prove that what I did contributed to the incident.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Hell and death, is there some way to disable this "feature" on my girlfriend's computer? Relax, I'm not tomcatting around, I'm too old for that, but if I get back at 11pm, I do NOT want to catch up over a late dinner, lest I wind up face down in the pasta.
Yeah. Don’t give her the password!

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
The other side of the equation, where the company is digging into every possible detail, what I'm hearing from y'all is what sounds like a scenario where they want to get me. And no matter what I do, if someone with access to massive amounts of data wants to "get" me, they are going to find a way. No amount of "covering my tracks" is going to help with that. For crying out loud, if the cops want to get you bad enough they will just plant drugs in your bag.
This is like uses of cryptography.

Nothing will defend you against Mossad and a rubber hose against your feet, but you should probably still use device encryption anyway, along with doing all the other things that a reasonable and prudent person would do.

And get a good lawyer.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
That said, the rule is “sleep opportunity,” not actual sleep. Prudence suggests that (1) you make an effort to sleep a reasonable amount, and (2) allow yourself the opportunity to do so.

My grumpy opinion is that if the fuzz were that convinced (and equally serious) that 8 hours contiguous was always required, we’d be allowed to use short-acting sleep aids to achieve that when the sleepiness does not come naturally - sometimes it doesn’t. The space program has done this for decades, and it works. This, of course, opens up its own Pandora’s box of supervision and compliance issues too, but hey.

But yeah, “don’t be a dumb ass”
Show me one person who says they sleep 8 hours before every red eye and I'll show you a liar.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Don't fly red-eyes.
Easy fix.
Well, once upon a time there were plans for a new 320 base. Was supposed to be a blend of trans cons and the N/S 717 flying along the west coast.

Then that 320 base finally opens and literally every trip, like ALL, start with a redeye that terminates with a 12 hour layover...

So much fun.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Well, once upon a time there were plans for a new 320 base. Was supposed to be a blend of trans cons and the N/S 717 flying along the west coast.

Then that 320 base finally opens and literally every trip, like ALL, start with a redeye that terminates with a 12 hour layover...

So much fun.
I'MMA CALL THE ROTATION CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE RABBLE

obx

Or as I've said previously, a relief pilot showing up having rested 8 hours is irresponsible.
We don’t have designated relief pilots. I don’t know if I’m the pilot flying, pilot monitoring, or the relief guy. We decide when we all meet up and brief. So I try to show up reasonably rested and hope I don’t get the first break.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.

So much fun.
Oh so we like have the same schedule now, only on opposite coasts. Cool.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Or as I've said previously, a relief pilot showing up having rested 8 hours is irresponsible.
Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired.

The thing I'm about to do (pink-eye to Seattle, day sleep, redeye back, which is a lovely 10-hour 3-day ["we can't figure out why this one is always in OT"]) mandates sleeping until I'm hungry, eating until I'm tired and then sleeping until it's time to go. And it works, I'm just zapped when I get home. What's more, you get home, there are things to do, and it's broad daylight. So nap if you can, but good luck.

I actually rather preferred the triple-redeye thing I did last month, where by day 3 I was definitely on the nighttime schedule and felt rather sharp coming home from Managua. And, as a bonus, sunrise over the Keys arriving FLL was positively awesome. (But what do you mean you can't hit my WOCL again? You gits! I'm adjusted!)

Pretty much have to go home and recovery-sleep from such tomfoolery, but at least it was consistent.

Richman

People kill themselves with sleep deprivation these days. I get that working wonky hours is unavoidable, but you have to get that compensatory rest afterwards, and it usually takes MORE sleep to recover that the cumulative sleep you miss.

I watched guys and gals do "continuous duty overnights" where they'd get 4-5 hours sleep on the CDO, and then NOT sleep during the day like the theory said they were supposed to. They'd just go out and do whatever. "I don't need all that sleep" blah blah blah. And it wasn't just that kind of flying.

The effect on their physical condition was like a slow motion version of the "he choose poorly" grail scene in Indiana Jones. They'd age like 5 years for every 1. Every one of them these days looks like the Crypt Keeper.

I would add that that this isn't restricted to just flying jobs. I see people all over working themselves into an early grave.

Choose wisely.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
People kill themselves with sleep deprivation these days. I get that working wonky hours is unavoidable, but you have to get that compensatory rest afterwards, and it usually takes MORE sleep to recover that the cumulative sleep you miss.

I watched guys and gals do "continuous duty overnights" where they'd get 4-5 hours sleep on the CDO, and then NOT sleep during the day like the theory said they were supposed to. They'd just go out and do whatever. "I don't need all that sleep" blah blah blah. And it wasn't just that kind of flying.

The effect on their physical condition was like a slow motion version of the "he choose poorly" grail scene in Indiana Jones. They'd age like 5 years for every 1. Every one of them these days looks like the Crypt Keeper.

I would add that that this isn't restricted to just flying jobs. I see people all over working themselves into an early grave.

Choose wisely.
This is why I avoid working unless absolutely necessary.
3E42B069-5649-4141-A67F-9FED3623C401.jpeg

Toobdrvr

Estrellas Asesino
This is mostly meant to be TIC, but considering the many twists and turns of this thread:

If you insist on paying cash at the hotel bar, to cover your tracks in case of a post-accident investigation...:eek2: