• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Delta CEO Upset Regarding Comments About US Cabin Crews

ppragman

Direct BOOKE
Lotta places have some crazy ass old laws still on the books.

SC had one where you could take your wife to the courthouse steps on Sunday, and at 12 noon, put her over your knee and whip her with a switch as punishment for any offenses committed during the week. Only came to light when a man did just that and could not be prosecuted for spousal abuse because it was a valid law. It led to a massive clean up of State Code.
#the_good_ole_days

Derg

Naval Intelligence, MCRN
Staff member
But the 60s and 70s were really the golden age of hijacking!!!
I still remember the pre-9/11 world being compliant with them, they largely won't harm you if you don't resist and the most dangerous thing in the cockpit was a clip-on tie.
Which is odd in a sad way, because in the 1940s on, you could be an Army/Air Force pilot/navigator, and by the late 40s, a Naval Aviator or Observer/Flight Officer. Why that wasn't good enough for the airlines to break with society and embrace back then, is an unfortunate rejection of a solid talent pool.
It was the rationale of not wanting problems in the flight deck when someone wasn't going to take orders from someone from a lower social rung.

Here's the kicker, I know a guy who actually had to give his copilot "The Chat". Yup, that one.

There are still some simmering social neanderthals running around. You can see it when some people do the "OMG! They hired a woman and they've never even called me" because the assumption is that they're not as qualified. Hell in 1998, I was one of two regional captains in a class with 15 civilians and someone made some comment about "why" I was hired. I may have only had about 17 hours of PIC 121 turbine, but that was 17 more hours than the other 13 guys including the one who made the comment, which was hilarious.:)

Last edited:

learhawkerbe400

Maybe I sound like a broken record , but I would take a 1950's world of a strong middle class, were young men like me could afford a decent house, would likely marry a thin and attractive wife at a young age and then raise a family,
If you can't find a thin/ attractive wife you're either poor or ugly.

So hit the gym and put down the twinkies or go make some more money.

Derg

Naval Intelligence, MCRN
Staff member
Oh hell, even the ugliest rich guy is more attractive to some women than the best looking poor guy. Unless, of course, they're attractive and ex-cons then there are some women that love "bad boys"

World was a whole different place those long years ago. Today is as distant from that reality as sixty-five years future will be from this moment in time. The past isn't better, simply different.

"Better" or "Worse" tomorrow will depend on the values we embrace today, as always.

If I'm not mistaken, up even into the 1990s, FAs at some US airlines were having to do height/weight checks, either during hiring or at certain set times also.

Do that with pilots, and we'd definitely have a pilot shortage. :)
Seriously. I once had a CA go completely off on FA looks, age, and especially weight. The ironic part was this guy himself had a huge beer gut, pudgy cheeks, an impending second chin, and definitely could stand to lose weight himself.

Or Virgin ;)

Last edited:

Richman

Seriously. I once had a CA go completely off on FA looks, age, and especially weight. The ironic part was this guy himself had a huge beer gut, pudgy cheeks, an impending second chin, and definitely could stand to lose weight himself.
In my pre-121 career, I've saw some people get away with some remarkable (and not in the good way) bovine poo. Crap that would have left the rest of us a smoking crater.

"Golden Boys" seem to be able to repel just about everything up to and including firepower from moon sized battle stations.....even decades after they lost the "the look".

I'
World was a whole different place those long years ago. Today is as distant from that reality as sixty-five years future will be from this moment in time. The past isn't better, simply different.

"Better" or "Worse" tomorrow will depend on the values we embrace today, as always.
I'm going to go with the values we embrace today being significantly better than those of the 1950's...

BEEF SUPREME

Perhaps but the point I was trying to make is that no one should ever take their health for granted.
Indeed. After nearly 2 months in Denver and 3 in Chicago I have a lot of catching up to do on cycling and SUP. I've put on some weight and I'm trying my best to get back to normal weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanD

Honorary Member
Perhaps but the point I was trying to make is that no one should ever take their health for granted.
Bingo. You can be relatively active, thin, and in short not a fat slob and still catch the crap end of the genetic stick with some medical issues. Best not to paint with a broad brush...