• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

daily pic

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Very cool
It is very rare that I see airplanes I had no idea existed, so thank you
It is pretty neat.
Talked to the pilot a bit, it's a weird plane. Came with inverted supercharged 6cyls, this has the lycoming 720 conversion. No hydraulics, pneumatic gear and brakes, which are actuated by buttons on the yoke. The nosewheel is castering, with a strange looking tire that self centers it
It's the only one flying in the US, and one of four in the world (per the pilot)

BigZ

It is pretty neat.
Talked to the pilot a bit, it's a weird plane. Came with inverted supercharged 6cyls, this has the lycoming 720 conversion. No hydraulics, pneumatic gear and brakes, which are actuated by buttons on the yoke. The nosewheel is castering, with a strange looking tire that self centers it
It's the only one flying in the US, and one of four in the world (per the pilot)
Ok, now I see what threw me off - I've seen a Dove before, but with stock engines and tail.
The one in your photo looks like something of a Navajo vintage

According to wiki that's a

Riley Turbo Executive 400 / Riley Turbo-Exec 400 / Riley Dove 400 : Conversions of the Dove, carried out by Riley Aeronautics Corp in the United States.[27] The aircraft were fitted with two 400 hp (298 kW) Lycoming IO-720-A1A flat-eight piston engines. Some of the Riley conversions were fitted with a taller swept vertical fin and rudder. During the late 1960s, Riley Aeronautics, located at the Executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, did interior refitting work on both the De Havilland Dove and the Heron

It is pretty neat....It's the only one flying in the US, and one of four in the world (per the pilot)
Another refugee from the British aviation collection of mis-shapen aircraft. There must be a mandatory course in UK plane design schools in 'Ugly." Probably started with the Dragon Rapide (Only 3 still flying).
Of course, one man's 'ugly' is another's 'iconoclastic.'

Burrito

I'll ask the stupid questions
Finished up our westward weekend getaway yesterday with some hiking in Zion. One of the most beautiful places in this country, and now the 3rd-most-visited National Park, it'll make everyone "shut up and listen" -- even those bringing the kids along or the ones being boisterous while walking. I can't recommend this place enough.

When I was here 20 years ago, we hardly walked or saw any wildlife beyond the six thousand prairie dogs. This time, within an hour, I saw 7 bighorn sheep.

20180415_155335.jpg