Cycling Club

AngelFuree

The UND bike club has been open since the end of last year, and we're looking for more people to join! I think most people are scared away thinking it's a competitive club, but what you don't know is that even though everyone in the club is enthusiastic about bicycles, most don't ride competitively at all. The club is made for EVERYONE, I mean everyone, and we seriously want to start getting mass group rides. The group rides we plan on having are easy going. Road bikes are not necessary (not everyone in the club has road bikes). I just decided to post this here because I want everyone to know about it. We are having morning rides every Sunday from the Ski and Bike shop (next to the Blockbuster down South Washington [and 17th South I believe])

I just got back from a group ride with 3 guys and a girl, it was a lot of fun. Though a few of us are looking to get competitive, we are MORE THAN HAPPY to ride at anyone's pace whether it be 5 mph or 20 mph.

Aaaaaaand because I've heard it before...No, you don't need lycra to be in the club...lol

Oh yeah, we ordered some school jerseys. If you're interested in obtaining some, you can PM me so I can give you more info on when we meet, but we usually meet every other week at the 2nd floor of the Education Building.

Again, it doesn't matter if you're an enthusiast or not. If you enjoy riding with a lot of people of different ages/fitness, be sure to come to our meetings or PM me.

Laters!

p.s. - Those of you who I know have no excuse not to come, hehe. Seriously though...the group is not competitive. It's VERY recreational. We have a couple of older (50+) guys in there.

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Very cool! Good to hear you guys are getting the club going. Check out my former college cycling club http://iucycling.com for some ideas if you need any. Granted they are more on the competitive side, we had a lot of non-racers too.

I might be interested in a jersey too, PM me a copy or post a pic of one here if you can.

JaceTheAce

I'll prolly still end up showing up for the Sunday ride.......... not...... in.............. Lycra....though. :insane:

AngelFuree

Very cool! Good to hear you guys are getting the club going. Check out my former college cycling club http://iucycling.com for some ideas if you need any. Granted they are more on the competitive side, we had a lot of non-racers too.

I might be interested in a jersey too, PM me a copy or post a pic of one here if you can.
Thanks for the link! Definitely looks like a well established club! I'm hoping we'll see more action this year since it seems like road bikes are slowly becoming more popular in this small • town.

You know what?? The school goes as far as not allowing us to register our own website and have it linked to the school. They want us to use a • standard "http://www.und.edu/~lakdjglkjasdf/134~adfj23r90/532462lakjbpoiarekjafsdkj/geocities/angelfireisthebest/index.html " UND web page.

We've been trying to hold charity fundraisers such as riding on trainers for hours in front of our Memorial Union, but they won't allow us because we "might damage the grass". I'm not lying to you. That was their response. Go figure. Seems like they don't want us to progress at all.

I know NDSU (in Fargo) has an EXCELLENT club/team, and they have volunteered to come up here and help us out w/ ours. In fact, they're willing to hold some of their races here, apparently, so that's nice of them. All that's left is for the University police to arrest all of us for indecent exposure for wearing Lycra...that would be the end of the world.

JaceTheAce

All that's left is for the University police to arrest all of us for indecent exposure for wearing Lycra...that would be the end of the world.
And I really wouldn't be surprised if they did. Imagine girls wearing a thong at a North Dakotan "beach" (assuming North Dakota had a beach...like at a lake? oh wait eastern ND barely has lakes)... I think that they'd get arrested for indecent exposure...where as in Miami no one thinks anything of it. It's all about cultural differences though - nothing wrong with that. If women's feet are highly illegal and a crime to show like in some islamic cultures, then there's nothing wrong with that... :confused: I guess..........