Current state of flight schools/student loads

JDean3204

How are the ATP schools doing nationwide? With their main advertising drive being fast track training, I can’t see too many people wanting to hurry into an idle situation.

Fixtur

Prefamulated Amulite
How are the ATP schools doing nationwide? With their main advertising drive being fast track training, I can’t see too many people wanting to hurry into an idle situation.
They’re still beating up the pattern at KCRQ

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
tread carefully leaving any amount on deposit at a flight school...
honestly didn’t even think of that, but this school has a good rep and has been around since 1946 so I’m betting on them having staying power. Plus I don’t think flight lessons are their main source of income. Fuel and tie down/hangars and mx are their main sources of income.

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
Some open, some closed. They have a daily list they put out of the status of their locations. Been doing a lot of webinars lately and trying to talk instructors into holding video ground schools, or something.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Talked about this on a conference call with the owner of our school yesterday.

Most of the flight schools are closed down, and the ones that are operating are likely painting themselves into a corner because DPEs have been instructed to stand down for the time being.

We're looking at how to get the school back up to an operational tempo and meanwhile getting as much Mx taken care of that we could which might have been deferred previously - stuff that wasn't an airworthiness issue, but an annoyance.

We will probably start doing solo rentals (or solo-with-live-in-family) first, as soon as we figure out a solid sanitizing protocol for the airplanes. From there, we may also start some dual instruction back up for the Instrument students leveraging our RedBird sim - we can maintain distance with the students and still conduct the lessons because the newer software on it allows you to control it via wifi and a neat little web interface. So that's cool. We also have self-examining authority for certain 141 ratings and certificates so we don't have the DPE problem that some other schools do.

The FSDO has also been working with schools to provide guidance on distance learning for 141 programs so that helps.

It could be a lot worse. We're inching forward and doing what we can. I'm hopeful that I can start dual instruction again soon while we have the warmer and better weather.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Has TW reopened again?
No, all but private clubs are closed by county ordinance. It is irresponsible to be open given the fact that someone with COVID-19 will almost surely spread it in the cockpit and put people at risk. Many of the CFIs at my shop are at risk and so are the owners.

Falcon262

My flight school is still open, business has gone down a little bit. Can't do any pattern work or practice approches at our airport because the tower is down to three controllers.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
My flight school is still open, business has gone down a little bit. Can't do any pattern work or practice approches at our airport because the tower is down to three controllers.
So why not just treat it as an untowered field or a towered field when the tower is closed? This makes no sense to me.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
So why not just treat it as an untowered field or a towered field when the tower is closed? This makes no sense to me.
Some airports say when the tower is closed there is no TOL, but, I think that is usually meant to be as a night curfew issue and the tower being closed in the daytime is just a technicality.