Current state of flight schools/student loads

Sculprit

Transpac ughh I mean AeroGuard is still running like mostly normal. The Chinese pipeline and Korean pipeline stopped however the Koreans are starting to slowly flow again. The domestic side of the program is still running full swing. As far as students dropping, really the only ones so far are the RTP cats due to certain regionals withholding funding for the time being.

thepedroid

If you can keep the schedule going, get that CFI done and in your pocket. It’ll be a lot harder to stop short, then restart when this passes.
Still going to keep pushing through and flying as long as they keep letting me. I wonder what would be worse, getting my CFI very and not flying for a few months or not flying for a few months and getting my CFI cert and being fresh. ‍♂

My school here in UT. is still open and business as usual. I text my CFI my lesson tomorrow at 8 am is still on. A memo was sent out stressing the cleaning of the planes before and after a flight. Wiping down PFD's/MFD's and yokes. They're placing SantiWipes in all of the planes. Really hoping that we don't get shut down, so close to finishing. My checkride was tentatively assigned and a DPE was also assigned. Not looking forward to spending more money getting back to ACS standards, if my skills atrophy sitting idle for 2-3 weeks or longer. I'll be pissed, I'm already like Agent Smith from the first Matrix, in his speech to Morpheus. "I NEED TO GET OUT!"

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Our school is shut down, officially, for a week, starting today.

I'm teaching ground lessons via videoconference to keep the student head-in-the-game. Since I'm not getting flight hours I'm probably going to sink some of my own cash into flying via my club airplanes but I hate doing that....

Sculprit

Our school is shut down, officially, for a week, starting today.

I'm teaching ground lessons via videoconference to keep the student head-in-the-game. Since I'm not getting flight hours I'm probably going to sink some of my own cash into flying via my club airplanes but I hate doing that....
Our of curiosity where’s your flight school located? City or region

thepedroid

Whelp, my school is still open but now I am stepping up my social distancing. Got an email from my kids school today stating that one of the teachers tested positive for Covid-19 and was last at the school on March 13. My son was sick from the 17th until last night. His symptoms didn't really line up with Covid-19 but kids tend to get it in a much milder fashion. I'm locking myself up until after the first to be safe.

Rex_CC

I think most flight schools in Oregon have closed.

The place where I teach is still open, but each CFI can pretty much decide what to do.

Recently, the governor has issued the executive order to shutdown all non-essential businesses. Although it appears flight schools fall under the “essential” category, there is no way to maintain, in the cockpit, the distance required by law (6 feet).

IanM

My school is still open and as busy as ever. Honestly, I'm pretty frustrated by how lackluster our response has been.

IanM

I'm okay with dual instruction being closed but I think solo renting ought to be allowed.
Sure, decent form of social distancing. With how long the virus can live on plastic and metal, it does make me a little nervous. Our entire defense is based on Clorox wipes lol

z987k

My school here in UT. is still open and business as usual. I text my CFI my lesson tomorrow at 8 am is still on. A memo was sent out stressing the cleaning of the planes before and after a flight. Wiping down PFD's/MFD's and yokes. They're placing SantiWipes in all of the planes. Really hoping that we don't get shut down, so close to finishing. My checkride was tentatively assigned and a DPE was also assigned. Not looking forward to spending more money getting back to ACS standards, if my skills atrophy sitting idle for 2-3 weeks or longer. I'll be pissed, I'm already like Agent Smith from the first Matrix, in his speech to Morpheus. "I NEED TO GET OUT!"
You're going to probably need that CFI if you want a flying job when you're done training.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Transpac ughh I mean AeroGuard is still running like mostly normal. The Chinese pipeline and Korean pipeline stopped however the Koreans are starting to slowly flow again. The domestic side of the program is still running full swing. As far as students dropping, really the only ones so far are the RTP cats due to certain regionals withholding funding for the time being.
Is there a plan to bring more Chinese back soon or is that going to take time? That school must be losing lots of money not having them come.

Shiftace

Beating up the pattern in a Piper.
The two freelance CFIs I use are not flying. My ride is scheduled for 04/08 and I am not sure if we'll be proceeding anytime soon. The weather in Northern MN was just downright nasty this winter and I have had to reschedule multiple times already... :(

Hang in there and good luck with getting your ride done.

Fixtur

Prefamulated Amulite
I've read the virus is viable on plastic surfaces up to 3 days in ideal conditions, but also that any common cleaner (Clorox wipes, etc) will readily deactivate it. It's not a particularly tough bug, supposedly, just very virulent.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
I've read the virus is viable on plastic surfaces up to 3 days in ideal conditions, but also that any common cleaner (Clorox wipes, etc) will readily deactivate it. It's not a particularly tough bug, supposedly, just very virulent.
I heard it could last 4 days on hard surfaces. It could certainly be much worse- for instance Norovirus can last for at least a fortnight on hard surfaces, possibly much longer; and pretty much only bleach can kill it. In stagnant water Norovirus is practically immortal. As awful as the Corona virus pandemic is at least alcohol appears to be effective against it.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
Hope not, but why do you surmise that I would?
There are only so many non-CFI low time jobs and even in good times there is usually a lot of competition for them. When I interviewed at Air America back in 2014, they said they receive an average of one application a day for their aerial survey operation, but while I was there they only hired at most 40 people a year (at least toward the end of my time there when they had expanded significantly). Now there will probably be even more competition. I hope you can find a job without your CFI certificate, and its certainly possible you might. But I like to advise people to apply to aerial survey companies and other companies that will hire new commercial pilots, but start working on their CFI if at all feasible in case it doesn't pan out.