Current state of flight schools/student loads

Bamaaviator

I gotta ask, and am curious for not only myself but for other regional guys and gals who were recently asked to leave during new hire training, what does it look like right now for flight schools? Are student loads going to reduce significantly? Or will flight training be largely unaffected by this virus scare? I have 2 job offers in my local area at part 61 schools after I was just let go by my regional, and they seem like they haven’t been affected at all by the current crisis. One school told me they ‘could definitely use some CFI help.’ What’s it like in your area? Have you noticed a significant, or even slight drop off in student training? Trying to gather as much info as possible for people on here who are looking for that fallback option of instructing until things improve again at the airlines, if it ever does. Any info from you guys would really benefit others on here who are desperately looking for work as instructors. Thanks!

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member
Haven't heard about anyplace closing around here, if that's what you mean. Being more careful about cleaning stuff, yes. And my club, which is mostly a bunch of old guys - I'm staying away from for a while. That could all literally change tomorrow though.

Beefy McGee

I gotta ask, and am curious for not only myself but for other regional guys and gals who were recently asked to leave during new hire training, what does it look like right now for flight schools? Are student loads going to reduce significantly? Or will flight training be largely unaffected by this virus scare? I have 2 job offers in my local area at part 61 schools after I was just let go by my regional, and they seem like they haven’t been affected at all by the current crisis. One school told me they ‘could definitely use some CFI help.’ What’s it like in your area? Have you noticed a significant, or even slight drop off in student training? Trying to gather as much info as possible for people on here who are looking for that fallback option of instructing until things improve again at the airlines, if it ever does. Any info from you guys would really benefit others on here who are desperately looking for work as instructors. Thanks!
Is the regional going to call you back once the virus thing passes?

JeppUpdater

Business as usual in the schools at the airport I’m based at on the days the weather cooperates. And looking at the schedule for the flying club we’re in it looks pretty normal. I might go bounce around tomorrow actually.

Still a huge CFI shortage, and good ones have their selection of schools around here.

ETA: If you want to CFI until you’re called back then go do it. But please do it for the students - don’t make every lesson a bitch fest about the industry and half ass every bit of teaching you do. There’s enough of that from the CFIs just grinding hours out and it’s hitting the 135 market especially hard. You and your students will both get more out of it.

Bamaaviator

Business as usual in the schools at the airport I’m based at on the days the weather cooperates. And looking at the schedule for the flying club we’re in it looks pretty normal. I might go bounce around tomorrow actually.

Still a huge CFI shortage, and good ones have their selection of schools around here.

ETA: If you want to CFI until you’re called back then go do it. But please do it for the students - don’t make every lesson a bitch fest about the industry and half ass every bit of teaching you do. There’s enough of that from the CFIs just grinding hours out and it’s hitting the 135 market especially hard. You and your students will both get more out of it.
I totally get that. Believe me, I was one of those instructors who always put the student first. I was always angry when I heard about students being taken advantage of, or their CFI’s being unprofessional. I never considered myself a ‘time builder,’ even though I was a time builder, if you catch my drift. I don’t plan to complain about the current state of the industry, as I’m sure they are seeing for themselves what’s going on. If they ask, I will tell them what’s going on with my airline in particular, based on current info that I have. I will always tell them there are no guarantees in aviation, and how it’s always important to have a fallback plan. I have other fallback options outside of aviation, and if it came down to it, and things got REAL ugly, I’d pursue those options, but sticking to CFI work for now.

Sluggo

I know the flight school I went to for my dispatch license just shut their doors. They were almost completely reliant on Chinese students though.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
The flight school I work at in KRHV is closed due to county ordinance(all non-essential businesses closed until at least April 7th). However, it was extremely busy up until then, with a good mix of part 141 students from Asia and part 61 students doing their thing. I was very impressed with how busy all the schools in the area are, no shortage of CFI jobs and steady hours in the Bay Area.

salhnl

What about the mills? Places like CAE? Flight Safety? L3? US Aviation Academy? TransPac? As they are dependent on the Asian Students?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
We're the overall largest flight school in our area and we're still pretty busy. I've noticed a decrease in other traffic but looking at the schedule, we're pretty solid. My entire schedule (where it's open - I'm part time) is filled through April. If we get shut down (hoping we don't) that'll....suck.

ADXGuy

I’m at an accelerated program and things are business as usual. Additional steps in regards to cleaning have been implemented and future CFI classes have been postponed, however aside from that, being at the flight school is the only time that things seem normal in my life at the moment.

In regards to new students, I am a part of the most recent class which just started so I can’t speak as to how it’s affected prospect students. What I can say is that although there are some concerns amongst CFI’s that are close to going to the regionals, we are all hopeful that things will return to normal in the future and that the demand for air travel will be there. I wont have the hours for the regionals for 2yrs anyways, so I’m willing to take the gamble.

thepedroid

Right now it’s business as usual at my school, however students are dropping like flies. Myself included. I’m mostly ready for my CFI ride but it’s looking like it might get delayed. Hiring has stopped at my school, hopefully temporarily.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Right now it’s business as usual at my school, however students are dropping like flies. Myself included. I’m mostly ready for my CFI ride but it’s looking like it might get delayed. Hiring has stopped at my school, hopefully temporarily.
If you can keep the schedule going, get that CFI done and in your pocket. It’ll be a lot harder to stop short, then restart when this passes.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Our flight school is going to close on the 23rd through at least a week, maybe more. Just got word. Bummed.