Crew Walks off over Autistic Passenger Request?

Johnny Beau Bekkestad

Didn't have time to read all the article...But WTF does a FA lose his/her poop over a pax switching seats voluntarily? This is the first time I have heard of an FA losing it over a seat switch. This happened when a FC pax gave his seat to a military person in Class A's.
I don't know what happened, but one of the possible scenarios that i've heard that makes some sense is that the passengers wanted to move to an exit row, which would not be doable since he was disabled, that message was or was not transmitted correctly, i guess the situation got heated because passengers not related to the situation got involved and the FA got cornered.

Why were the seats split to begin with? I've been seeing this more and more. Mom in 12A 3 year old 22B...WTF
Because they had not informed anyone prior to showing up, the did not reserve the seats with special assistance and they were late due to security screening delay. Due to this they were the last passengers to board and got the leftover seats. Even at the gate when boarding they should have asked for help, but they waited to do so until they were onboard.

This is My Screen Name

I don't know what happened, but one of the possible scenarios that i've heard that makes some sense is that the passengers wanted to move to an exit row, which would not be doable since he was disabled, that message was or was not transmitted correctly, i guess the situation got heated because passengers not related to the situation got involved and the FA got cornered.

Because they had not informed anyone prior to showing up, the did not reserve the seats with special assistance and they were late due to security screening delay. Due to this they were the last passengers to board and got the leftover seats. Even at the gate when boarding they should have asked for help, but they waited to do so until they were onboard.
don't let facts ruin a good story !

Jordan93

Is this extreme in the other direction—too accommodating? So if they hit CAT...would the family would be suing UAL for his injuries?

A boy with autism wouldn't sit still on a United Airlines flight. So crew and passengers stepped in to help. — CNN
The kid was 4 years old and the FAs also let him sit on his mom’s lap for takeoff which is a clear violation of a FAR. So many things could have went wrong. It’s a sucky situation but if that kid couldn’t sit down for takeoff, I probably wouldn’t takeoff.

GypsyPilot

Is this extreme in the other direction—too accommodating? So if they hit CAT...would the family would be suing UAL for his injuries?

A boy with autism wouldn't sit still on a United Airlines flight. So crew and passengers stepped in to help. — CNN
Yikes.

Sorry, but I would not have been nice about that. Seems pretty selfish to make both the autistic child and the passengers go through that misery. Does the 4 year old really need to be a frequent flyer?

Of course United is desperate for positive passenger PR and will make this sound like a great thing.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
The kid was 4 years old and the FAs also let him sit on his mom’s lap for takeoff which is a clear violation of a FAR. So many things could have went wrong. It’s a sucky situation but if that kid couldn’t sit down for takeoff, I probably wouldn’t takeoff.
“Sorry, cabin not ready.”

“Well, lemme know when it is.” *sets parking brakes*

Autothrust Blue

Yikes.

Sorry, but I would not have been nice about that. Seems pretty selfish to make both the autistic child and the passengers go through that misery. Does the 4 year old really need to be a frequent flyer?

Of course United is desperate for positive passenger PR and will make this sound like a great thing.
Sigh, right? Restraint rules are quite literally written in blood, but by all means, let’s let your screaming snowflake become a projectile instead because we’re scared.

Jordan93

Yep. I wonder if the CA even knew about it....before reading about it in the news.
That’s grounds for denial of transportation according to my FOM. Again, tough situation but either he’s sitting in his own seat or we’re not going. I wonder how it would have been handled if there was an FAA inspector on board.

Autothrust Blue

That’s grounds for denial of transportation according to my FOM. Again, tough situation but either he’s sitting in his own seat or we’re not going. I wonder how it would have been handled if there was an FAA inspector on board.
Hopefully the same, which would be a return to gate, calling a CRO and the constabulary, then sitting back and watching the inevitable.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Called the flight ops MOD once for some expert advice - last time I did that for a long while.

“Do whatever you want, I don’t care.”
“Name and employee number please.”
Every time I was about to do something stupid, I'd call the chief pilot on call, and explain the stupid thing I was about to do and why. Half the time they'd tell me, "that doesn't sound like a good idea, go ahead and do it anyway," and the other hand they'd tell me, "that doesn't sound like a good idea, don't do that."

Autothrust Blue

Every time I was about to do something stupid, I'd call the chief pilot on call, and explain the stupid thing I was about to do and why. Half the time they'd tell me, "that doesn't sound like a good idea, go ahead and do it anyway," and the other hand they'd tell me, "that doesn't sound like a good idea, don't do that."
It was the “I don’t care” part that really sunk in and really bothered me. That was the last time I bothered to talk to that MOD-Technical; I literally hung up on him from there on out and went for the other extension.