Crew Walks off over Autistic Passenger Request?

cmac88

This is one of those that has to have more to the story.... right? Anybody know more details? Since it was a delayed flight I'm hoping the pilots timed out or something and that's why they walked off.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
1. Good on flight crew for not letting themselves be pressured by airport security to take the flight.
2. WTF FLIGHT CREW?! One hopes there’s more to the story.

GypsyPilot

Yes, it's true it is too early to make the assumption.

But I also cringe when I heard this in a brief. I used to say it until I saw some rather absurd results.
A surprisingly large percentage of my time as a captain was spent defusing crap FAs created. You’re absolutely correct on that, and I think most of us wanted to Batman slap any pilot that said that.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
A surprisingly large percentage of my time as a captain was spent defusing crap FAs created. You’re absolutely correct on that, and I think most of us wanted to Batman slap any pilot that said that.
Current job is a breath of fresh air in that regard. I think the only “help me” I’ve had in a year was when we needed paramedics.

poser765

Instead I like to say, “hey let’s not make it on YouTube this flight. If you have an issue, call me and let’s talk about it.”
“No paper work and no viral videos” was my standard brief when I had four stripes a side.

Cherokee_Cruiser

"Let us know if you have problems with anyone in the back. We'll back you up 100%."

Hated that brief! And seeing how many first-time-ever-jobs at an airline after 2 yrs working a desk or Starbucks turned FAs would overreact at VX, there is no way I'd give that brief.

I just had one in Mexico during boarding tell me a guy looked absolutely wasted and we had to remove him pronto. I said ok, I'll call the CRO and go from there. She was visibly ticked, as in why aren't you kicking him off? Seeing how she didn't look satisfied, I said I've never been trained on how to recognize whether someone is drunk or not, or if they are acting the way are because of some drugs/medications. The CRO is the properly trained individual and for denied boarding cases, they are the go-to and especially for covering legal-ese.

I never walked back to the cabin to see how drunk the individual was.

CRO took the pax to the jetbridge and I was not part of that conversation.

CRO comes back alone to the flight deck and tells me that indeed, the guy is totally wasted and not going to be able to fly today. I shook his hand and thanked him, and off he went. I let the FA know the pax is removed per the CRO's evaluation. I never even saw the pax, didn't need to.

Everybody happy. And the way I look at it, I covered the legal grounds for the decision. (And yes yes, I fully realize as the PIC I have the ultimate authority - still, I won't use that as a bat to take a swing at the pax that some FAs just wanted removed). We have procedures for denied boardings, we have tools/resources, and all available info to make the final decision.

And some people forget, you're not officially ISC until the all set/handoff is done so until then let the GSC do their jobs. I'm assuming most airlines are set up like this. There is a distinct time at which the role is "transferred" from the GSC to the Capt/ISC. Why make it tough on yourself? Let the people who are trained in their jobs do their jobs (namely the GSC and/or CRO).

Cherokee_Cruiser

“He suffers from OCD, sensory overload and many other symptoms that can make air travel particularly difficult for him,” he wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday. “For his safety and the safety of those around him, it is important that he sit with a family member on flights.” Isola said he and his family arrived at the gate prepared for their travels only to learn that they were all seated separately.
Too cheap to pony up and pay the extra from Basic Economy to regular Economy so we could have picked our seats when we bought the ticket, ensuring we were all seated together. Nah.................

"It is for that reason that I reported the crew of this flight to their higher-ups and requested that they not be able to fly any more planes with more passengers without serious consequences, if at all.” "

If at all = I want them fired!!!!!!!!

Cherokee_Cruiser

and while we're at it don't answer that call button during critical phases unless it says emer.

Taxiing after landing at LAX, back when we were at T3 we’re doing the North route taxi......

[Bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr]

Me: Hey, what’s up
FA: Hey just so you know after landing the megaphone plastic cover fell off.
Me: Umm. Okay. Is that all?
FA: Yup, bye!

Adler

Low-Level Individual
Taxiing after landing at LAX, back when we were at T3 we’re doing the North route taxi......

[Bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr]

Me: Hey, what’s up
FA: Hey just so you know after landing the megaphone plastic cover fell off.
Me: Umm. Okay. Is that all?
FA: Yup, bye!

Taking off:
80 knots - cabin call ding.
Obviously we ignore, they must have hit the wrong button.
V1, rotate, nose comes off mains still on the ground - triple ding of the emergency call

Poop...there must be a fire in the cabin. That is the only reason why they would give us an emergency call right now.

Nonetheless, calmy fly up to 1,000ft, in my mind running through plans for a landing with a raging cabin fire. Flaps up, exchange controls and comms...

"Hey it's Isaac, what's going on..."

"The oxygen mask in 4a fell down".

"That's it?!"

"Yea what should we do?"