Crash in Nevada

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Am I the only person who is imagining MikeD with a "long-haired hippie" coif, trying to "blend in" with the locals in Hell's Gulch? Did they issue you bell-bottoms? :D :D :D

Edit: "Jackass Flats" is a nice touch.
That wouldve been something to see indeed lol. I reserve the bell bottom.........errr, boot cut.......jeans for my daily civvie wardrobe of looking akin to the construction man from the Village People.

Boris Badenov

He comes to save the day in a broken truck.
That wouldve been something to see indeed lol. I reserve the bell bottom.........errr, boot cut.......jeans for my daily civvie wardrobe of looking akin to the construction man from the Village People.
I always pictured you as the Indian Chief. "Best you just keep walkin, paleskins"

Springer

A good number of accidents have happened in the NTTR, just not all related to test activities. The airspace, aside from R-4808, is used for daily Nellis flight training ops, including the Red Flag large force exercises. So a number of accidents during routine ops have occurred over the years, including some friends ive known. Was there at a Red Flag in '01 and returning to base at night. An explosion in the distance, we thought was ordnance being dropped in an adjacent area. Learned just after landing that it was a German AF Tornado that had been extremely low level and high speed, egressing from its target, and had been reacting to a SAM or AAA radar threat and made a hard threat reaction turn into a cliffside at over 400 or so knots.
So much going with many different units using the restricted airspaces. We lost one out there when our squadron deployed to train against the Aggressors. Wing fold failed, WSO got out but the AC rode it in.

Btw my first Red Flag was in '76 which I think was the third one held. Went to several more including a Green Flag and a Maple Flag in Cold Lake. Don't recall losing any a/c in those exercises. The first one was the most fun.

Wrt Gen Bond, as I recall, Steve Davies's book Red Eagles was pretty critical of him.