1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPAP

Discussion in 'Ask A Flight Surgeon' started by texas_pilot, Sep 26, 2016.

1. texas_pilot

texas_pilot Well-Known Member

i had a sleep evaualation for DOT and queried the Doc about aviation.
    He explained to pass a medical, you must also pass an all day 'awakeness' test.
    Anybody experience this?

2. pilotmec

pilotmec Well-Known Member

I didn't do anything like that.
    Just got a treatment plan with a CPAP and moved on.
    Have a follow up once a year, doctor writes CAMI a letter and I get my first class cert.
    Was grounded for only 30 days or so at the start.

3. N961EA

N961EA New Member

If your budget allows, try the dental appliance in lieu of cpap, much better for pilots.

4. JimNtexas

JimNtexas Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with CPAP. The FAA policy is the same for all classes of medicals. You get an SI. You have to keep the CPAP machine records. Every time you renew you have to show the CPAP records for a year, and you have have used the CPAP at least six hours a night for something like 75% of all nights.

I didn't have to take that sensory deprivation test the truckers get.

It was enough of a hassle to motivate me to lose 50 pounds, retest, and get rid of the SI.

5. Floatplane

Floatplane New Member

What kind of sleep test results will get you off the CPAP SI? I have very good numbers from the machine, like average 7.7 hours and 98% usage of the machine and 0.6 AHI which to me seems so small compared to other CPAP users as to be negligible and I have noticed no difference in my daily life from using it, other than a sore nose.

On the other hand, my wife sleeps much better, but she's not a pilot so the FAA doesn't regulate her!

floatplane99

6. pilotmec

pilotmec Well-Known Member

She sleeps better, therefore she does not hit you in the night, therefore you sleep better!