Couple Kicked Off Plane for Ignoring In-Flight Safety Briefing

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
If it wasn’t in my FOM or the FA version of their FOM, I’d put an end to that. Not on ma plane you don’t just go inventing rules that aren’t the norm. At VX we never locked lavs. I got my routine, 10 prior to push I make the welcome aboard PA from the galley handset (come at me bro :)) and then hit the pre-departure lav. No problem at VX, but at AS I notice the lav is locked by then. No big deal, the FA says no one in there so I just unlock and go. Messin up my routine :)
You’d never know. Trust me. :)

Wait until you’re in your 40’s when the new(-ish) captain sheen wears off. There are things you concern yourself with and things that you do not and, at the end of the day, “How Much Do You Like Paperwork?” because nothing will change.

I tell all my new captain friends that complain about FCR’s and ASAPs. “If you really want to practice penmanship and your clerical pool skills and get little to no feedback in return, know yourself out”.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member

Wait until you’re in your 40’s when the new(-ish) captain sheen wears off. There are things you concern yourself with and things that you do not and, at the end of the day, “How Much Do You Like Paperwork?” because nothing will change.

I tell all my new captain friends that complain about FCR’s and ASAPs. “If you really want to practice penmanship and your clerical pool skills and get little to no feedback in return, know yourself out”.
With these insights, It is obviously time for you to be thinking about moving up to base chief pilot. Or base LEC rep. Do it....:)

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
On the Bus you have to go to TOGA on the go around to sequence the box and to enter go around mode. Only a couple of our newer 321s have the soft go around mode. My understanding is we do a GA like normal anyway. RNPs get an interrupted approach go around if above MA altitude and until the MAP, with speed pulled to 165 kts.

And mikeD, the 737 has had 2 crashes on go around because a 737 pitch up/pilot tendency to trim full nose down. The Russian Tarstan and flyDubai in Russia.
I had no instrument approach loaded on the day visual, so theres nothing to sequence, which is fine. That's why I like a go around with using what you need for power; no excess pitch-up just due to the engine thrust and hence no need to be trimming nose down in a rush. Works for a VMC go around of entering a pattern or not needing to avoid other aircraft or meet altitudes that require a full power climb.

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays

So, in a typical meeting I'll go through 65-80 ASAP events (could be two reports, one from CA/FO, or just one from one of the crew), and there's just zero practical way for me in my volunteer position with everything else I have going on to provide feedback, and I think that's true everywhere. As it is, I end up spending time on overnights calling people when required to discuss reports/provide ALPA counseling/coordinate other info gathering for FAA/company/ALPA etc. It's already a massive time-sink that majorly outweighs the elfin amount of credit I get for it. What I do instead is try to pick a choice few where we actually made some changes, throw them into the monthly ASAP newsletter and remind everybody about the positive outcomes and how just because you don't get feedback that's more of a workload problem than "we put your report in the circular file". But that doesn't mean that the reports aren't sent to the relevant ground station, codeshare partner, maintenance, dispatch supervisor, or what have you, and that they aren't tracked and trended and analyzed and contributing valuable data. That said, ours has about 90 fillable fields and only like 7 are required... some people waste a lot of time. But when in doubt... file. It's not a fun conversation though calling captains out of the blue and saying "Hey, you got a PD filed on you... and there appears to be no ASAP. Want to go file something maybe like... nao?"

mrivc211

I think there’s more to the story, but of course it’d get less clicks.
thats what I was thinking. I think reporters are just making crap up these days to rile you up. This is a bit of a stretch, but it applies to everything to a degree, "desperate people do desperate things" and that motto trinkles all the way down.

mrivc211

If you paid people cash money based on how fast they exited the airplane (minus luggage), it might work better.

Or not. The Brits, in their British way, did a study where they did just that. The result went something like this:

“Gor Blimey Nigel, did you see how people just ignored the exit queue and shoved out? That’s not how to do that.”
The funniest ish to me is trying to understand a drunk Irishman.