Couple Kicked Off Plane for Ignoring In-Flight Safety Briefing

Oxman

I can see the passengers behavior.

Two people were reportedly ejected from a flight on Tuesday because they refused to take notice of the safety briefing before take-off.

The couple were on board an Air New Zealand flight bound from Wellington to Auckland when they were asked to pay attention to the pre-flight safety announcement. The couple were in the exit row where passengers are given special instructions.

One passenger sitting nearby said that the couple were “wealthy looking” telling Stuff that the woman was blonde, had a Louis Vuitton bag, and appeared very "high maintenance."

"The video started playing and the flight attendant held up the card, but the woman started looking down at her book."
"A flight attendant said very patiently 'Can you please watch what's happening because this is the exit row?'"

Their lack of attention was holding the flight up and people were becoming agitated, the unnamed passenger told Stuff.
She added: "The flight attendant was super kind and kept asking her, but the woman put her fingers in her ears.
"They didn't seem to care. The passengers behind them were saying 'For God's sake, it takes two minutes to look at it, just look at it' ... they seemed like they were too important for it."

The plane then returned to the gate where police were waiting to detain them and the flight was delayed by 25 minutes.
"You'd think they'd be embarrassed or mortified, but they seemed quite chuffed about the whole thing,” the passenger added.
Wellington Police told The New Zealand Herald that a female passenger will receive an infringement notice under Civil Aviation Authority rules relating to the use of a cellphone.

While there are no rules expressly forcing people to listen to safety instructions, New Zealand’s Civil Aviation Authority states that airlines have a right to refuse to carry passengers that they consider to be a potential risk to the safety of the aircraft, its crew, or its passengers.
This includes the right to stop a passenger from flying if they have not obeyed the instructions of ground staff or a member of the crew relating to safety or security.

There have been several cases recently of people being removed from flights before take-off.
Last month, a woman was ejected from a Frontier Airlines flight after complaining about vomit on her daughter’s seat. Rosetta Swinney’s flight was leaving Las Vegas for North Carolina when her 14-year-old daughter sat on a seat with vomit on it, she claimed, according to an ABC 7 report.
Meanwhile in January, a woman was kicked off a United Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Newark after she complained loudly on her cellphone that the passengers next to her were overweight, CBS reported.

Jordan93

Does anyone honestly listen to the safety briefings? When I’m in the back, my headphones go in the second I sit down and I close my eyes. But if an FA told me to pay attention, I probably would. I’ve never had an FA tell me to take my headphones out and look at the safety video.

tomokc

I always review the safety card, see how to operate the exits, note whether the hatch stays in or goes out, then count the number of rows. It reloads short-term memory. If I’m given the slightest chance of survival I’m on it.

msmspilot

I think there’s more to the story, but of course it’d get less clicks.
It’s like the guy who failed his checkride for not turning on a boost pump. I know there’s more to that story, but yeah, you just had a mean evaluator.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Does anyone honestly listen to the safety briefings? When I’m in the back, my headphones go in the second I sit down and I close my eyes. But if an FA told me to pay attention, I probably would. I’ve never had an FA tell me to take my headphones out and look at the safety video.
Think the difference here is they were in an exit row and probably being blatant about not listening

milleR

I sure hope you're not in uniform, because that's not the example I'd personally want to set for the rest of the pax.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Think the difference here is they were in an exit row and probably being blatant about not listening
I can almost guarantee you this.

Every time I’m on the back, I hear “Sit... SIR, I need a verbal ‘yes’ if you’re willing an able to help in the event of an emergency, I need a verbal. Sir... Ok thank you” from the exit row.

I can only imagine if this devolved into some SnapBack like “Darlin’ I’m a super duper mega granite traveler, I got more miles than you, I know what I’m doin’!” and they were non-compliant, the “I didn’t listen to the safety video and I was ejected” was the headline grabber.

Richman

If you paid people cash money based on how fast they exited the airplane (minus luggage), it might work better.

Or not. The Brits, in their British way, did a study where they did just that. The result went something like this:

“Gor Blimey Nigel, did you see how people just ignored the exit queue and shoved out? That’s not how to do that.”

SeanD

I don’t really listen to them either but I don’t disrespect the process like these tools where doing. Since they were seated in an exit row the FA was probably thinking “these morons won’t be helpful if poop hits the fan?” I do make a habit of noting what row the emergency exits are though.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Well, bye! :)
All I wanna hear is "Cabin secure, ready to push[, ship's papers on board]." How this is effectuated I really don't care.

I can only imagine if this devolved into some SnapBack like “Darlin’ I’m a super duper mega granite traveler, I got more miles than you, I know what I’m doin’!” and they were non-compliant, the “I didn’t listen to the safety video and I was ejected” was the headline grabber.
It sounded something like this:

PA-1: "Ladies and gentlemen, from the flight deck, we are ready in all respects for departure, except one - the cabin is not yet ready for pushback. For your safety, we require that passengers sitting in an exit row verbally acknowledge and state that they are able to assist in the event of an emergency. Seven of the eight of the people in the exit row have so acknowledged, but one has not. As soon as that one person does so, we will be on our way to (some other slightly less frozen locale). [short pause and commotion in back] Oh. I'm now being told the cabin is ready for pushback. Thank you, we will be departing shortly."

trafficinsight

All I wanna hear is "Cabin secure, ready to push[, ship's papers on board]." How this is effectuated I really don't care.

It sounded something like this:

PA-1: "Ladies and gentlemen, from the flight deck, we are ready in all respects for departure, except one - the cabin is not yet ready for pushback. For your safety, we require that passengers sitting in an exit row verbally acknowledge and state that they are able to assist in the event of an emergency. Seven of the eight of the people in the exit row have so acknowledged, but one has not. As soon as that one person does so, we will be on our way to (some other slightly less frozen locale). [short pause and commotion in back] Oh. I'm now being told the cabin is ready for pushback. Thank you, we will be departing shortly."
I did one of those last night...

*Super cheerful PA voice*
"HI folks, I know we're 3 hours late and you really want to get off the plane, we're cleared into the gate and the ramp staff is standing there waiting on us, so if you just hopped up to use the bathroom after our 26 minute flight, please return to your seat and fasten your seat belt because we can't move if you're up and none of us are going anywhere until you do. THAAANKS."

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
If yer' sitting back there in uniform, take your headphones out and listen to them.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
"HI folks, I know we're 3 hours late and you really want to get off the plane, we're cleared into the gate and the ramp staff is standing there waiting on us, so if you just hopped up to use the bathroom after our 26 minute flight, please return to your seat and fasten your seat belt because we can't move if you're up and none of us are going anywhere until you do. THAAANKS."
"I have to pee too, the sooner you sit down, the sooner we all can!"

*taxies by in blurry flash of logo light*

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
Yes. Any identifiable airline crewmember should pay attention to the safety briefing and hold the safety card to silently demonstrate to the other passengers that yes, this stuff is important.