Cool helicopter rescue

A Life Aloft

And you also notice that he is balanced just on the front tips of his skis, plus he has to account for a rescuer out one side and more weight with the victim being loaded in on that same side. Yet the helicopter looks constantly steady. That's some damn talented flying.

Lawman

Ballsy... especially since he only planted 1 skid so he’s gonna have an odd counter pressure instead of just on axis.

Well done.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Man, how can you tell how far the edge of the slope is before planting the skid in there in the white snow? That's some excellent depth perception

A Life Aloft

Ballsy... especially since he only planted 1 skid so he’s gonna have an odd counter pressure instead of just on axis.

Well done.
Jesus, I thought both were but looking again, you're right, it's only one. Jesus that is something.

USMCmech

Gives a whole new name to a toe-in landing. Man that rotor disc is close...
No kidding!

The toe in landing is impressive, but there wasn't any margin for error for the rotor clearance.

Last edited:

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
Amazing flying, but is the potential failure rate as high as it appears to a non-expert (me)?

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
What I’m amazed at more than anything is how quickly and smoothly he did it. No inching his way in, no sitting there checking it out for a minute first, just flies right up like it’s routine.

Beep

Wow, the whole thing happened pretty fast! That pilot must have had plans for the day, and they weren’t waiting around for anyone that wanted to dawdle.

:)