Contaminated Cabin Air?

kryan11

This is an interesting video. I’ve heard a few flight attendants complain about this, but they’re also the same flight attendants complaining that uniforms are making them sick, so I don’t know what to think of it.

phill1174

It’s a real thing issue just like the uniforms that flight attendants are complaining about. I know a few JetBlue pilots have complained about it. Another group of pilots also complained about it too. I want to say maybe Spirit. It seems to be more of an issue on the A320 with the IAE engines.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
This is an interesting video. I’ve heard a few flight attendants complain about this, but they’re also the same flight attendants complaining that uniforms are making them sick, so I don’t know what to think of it.
Yes it's real. It's killed pilots at Spirit and British Airways. It's permanently grounded crews at USAirways and I believe JetBlue as well as several other carriers. It effects pretty much any airplane that gets bleed air through the engines (so everything except a 787 right now) but is more prevelent in aircraft that have higher oil pressures in engines (hence the issue with IAE products).

Ask around. I'd guess more than half of the pilots flying effected aircraft for anything more than a few years have been exposed to the dirty sock or magic marker smell.

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
It’s something that I think about having seen what it can do. Before they removed it I watched an APA hosted talk given by a spirit FO and that was pretty alarming.

If you smell something put your oxygen mask on and get the packs off when you can.

Cruise

Yes it's real. It's killed pilots at Spirit and British Airways. It's permanently grounded crews at USAirways and I believe JetBlue as well as several other carriers. It effects pretty much any airplane that gets bleed air through the engines (so everything except a 787 right now) but is more prevelent in aircraft that have higher oil pressures in engines (hence the issue with IAE products).

Ask around. I'd guess more than half of the pilots flying effected aircraft for anything more than a few years have been exposed to the dirty sock or magic marker smell.
Exactly right. Also many of these events are initiated with over-servicing hydraulic and oil quantities. They leak onto the fuselage and are sucked into the APU inlet. Once it enters the bleed system, the liquid is pyrolyzed and you may have a resultant fume event.
It is a real problem and as BobDDuck mentioned it can kill you or permanently ground you depending on the exposure level.