Conquest Air Crash near Miami (Ditching)

melax

Cargo ops. Nassau to Opa-Locka FL , 2 crew 1 rescued 1 missing. Both engines failed (fuel starvation maybe ??...)
EIS was 05-18-1955 / delivery to the United States Air Force, that was an old bird indeed.

Last edited:

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Would an airframe that big have fuel ports big enough to allow jet a?
Typically in a misfueling the airplane doesn’t make it that far.

Though, I suppose it depends heavily on how much gas they took vs what was on board.

Soku39

What's interesting is that plane first flew in '55, and I fly '74 model C-130s every week. It's interesting for sure.

melax

Misfuel is possible. No fuel is also possible.
NAS-OPF = 160nm , about an hour for that plane , (including run-up, taxi + flight time) so I don't think misfuel would be an issue, I think the engines would have failed much earlier. But I'm not an expert on the c-131 with radials. They also do require oil.

Video of the co-pilot rescue. Captain is 71 and was strapped in his seat

Last edited:

Inverted

#inspirationing
NAS-OPF = 160nm , about an hour for that plane , (including run-up, taxi + flight time) so I don't think misfuel would be an issue, I think the engines would have failed much earlier. But I'm not an expert on the c-131 with radials. They also do require oil.
Both dying at the same time is highly unlikely from a lack of oil. It is possible but I really doubt it.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
What's interesting is that plane first flew in '55, and I fly '74 model C-130s every week. It's interesting for sure.
The T-37s I flew were 1955-67 models, and the T-38s were '61-'73 models,

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Plane type ?
Not the make and model involved, but a single engine tail dragger. However, they’re all machines and will continue to run if they are fed and receive periodic maintenance.

The CV-240 has a basic fuel system of one tank per wing. It would’ve have flown that far if misfueled, and without aux tanks the crew couldn’t have selected a contaminated tank while en route.

There are several freight operators out of OPF with legacy radial engine airplanes, such as BE18s, DC3s, CV240s, etc. There are also some C208 and SD3/SC7 freighters around the area. They generally fly east loaded, and west empty as the Bahamians don’t really export anything. So I’d guess with that weight OEI performance would be sufficient.

Once the NTSB concludes their investigation, we will know. A double engine failure in an otherwise reliable airplane generally occurs because of fuel exhaustion.

Another notable CV-240 accident was the Lynyrd Skynyrd crash, which was ruled to be fuel exhaustion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaLarry

Where do these flaky south FL operators flying old junk find pilots these days? I’m truly amazed any of them are around anymore.
Plane was 64, pilot was 71. Probably learned to fly it in nursery school.

The old stuff, and old people, fly just fine. Until something goes wrong that neither can cope with. True of hardware and people at any age.