Commuters Input Please

A-9er

When you factor check-in time, and transit between airport and work, a one hour flight quickly turns into a 3-hour (or more) commute each way. I would probably just commute once per week. And, I would probably drive. It might take a little longer than flying, but you have the convenience traveling on your own schedule.
QFT! If I were to, for example, work at Commutair in CLE, the drive time to my home would be about six hours. I recently flew back to my house in PA (near ABE), and door to door took me about eight hours. Flying time was around six hours, while transit time took me about two. So yeah, if you can find a job within driving distance, that's the better way to go.

QFT! If I were to, for example, work at Commutair in CLE, the drive time to my home would be about six hours. I recently flew back to my house in PA (near ABE), and door to door took me about eight hours. Flying time was around six hours, while transit time took me about two. So yeah, if you can find a job within driving distance, that's the better way to go.
Okay, I gotta ask (since I've seen you write it a couple times..) - What does "QFT" means?

A-9er

I've thought about commuting, but I'd only do it on a WEEKLY basis. I'm not even sure I want to do that. I think I'll visit my house one or two times a month while probation lasts. When it ends, I'll worry about moving...

TheGirlinPurple

It all depends on who you're working for and what metal you're commuting on. Pilots have a "commuter clause" in their union contract that basically says they won't get in trouble if they miss a trip assignment as long as they can prove they tried to make a certain number of flights to base and got bumped off. We have a commuter clause for dispatchers in our union contract as well, but not all do.
Any Idea which ones do not have commuting clauses in their dispatch contracts?

mrezee

Living the dream!
So at most regionals how hard is it to swap for an 8 on 6 off schedule?
Depends on the regional. At my airline, many people do it and love it, and management has no problem with it. You just have to find somebody that bids an opposite schedule as you and is willing to do it, which isn't too hard at my shop. However, at another regional airline that's a stone's throw away from ours, the dispatchers are prevented from working more than 6 days in a row, which kind of squashes the whole 8/6 idea.

Depends on the regional. At my airline, many people do it and love it, and management has no problem with it. You just have to find somebody that bids an opposite schedule as you and is willing to do it, which isn't too hard at my shop. However, at another regional airline that's a stone's throw away from ours, the dispatchers are prevented from working more than 6 days in a row, which kind of squashes the whole 8/6 idea.
I'm not a dispatcher yet, but I've worked more than 6 days in a row before at other jobs.

I don't know how people do it consistently especially if they are 10 (which often turn into 12 or more) hour shifts.

After a while, my brain just needs a break from work!

For me, over 6 days is fine every once in a while (and in my experience, it just cuts into the regular days off, so you work 6 or 7 days with 1 maybe 2 days off), but week after week, I think I'd lose my mind.

However, I can see how it would be nice to have 8 days off in a row, so there's that.

I've never had that kind of option so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.

bbmikej

8 days in a row isn't too bad when you immediately get 6 days off. It's when you start swapping to get extended periods off and do something like 8 on 1 off 10 on 2 off that is gets really tiring.

TheGirlinPurple

I'm not a dispatcher yet, but I've worked more than 6 days in a row before at other jobs.

I don't know how people do it consistently especially if they are 10 (which often turn into 12 or more) hour shifts.

For me, over 6 days is fine every once in a while (and in my experience, it just cuts into the regular days off, so you work 6 or 7 days with 1 maybe 2 days off), but week after week, I think I'd lose my mind.

However, I can see how it would be nice to have 8 days off in a row, so there's that.

With my background in ATC, I'm used to odd schedules. If I get my dispatch certificate, commuting will most likely be a must for me as I have land and other plans in an area that has no appealing Regional jobs. I think for a commuter, an 8 on 6 off schedule would be much more appealing than commuting every week on a 4 on 3 off schedule. JMHO....

BayouMLU

I once worked 91 days in a row. Now as a dispatcher, but in the aviation industry. Not every shift was a full shift, either but for 91 days I was at work, doing work.

If you love what you do...

A-9er

So at most regionals how hard is it to swap for an 8 on 6 off schedule?
I can't speak for other regionals, but at G7, DXers do trade days off; trading shifts is allowed. However, the practice has been somewhat reigned in @ G7. Let me tell you a story...

There are two guys who work midnights, and they had a NICE RACKET going. They'd basically swap days so one would work 10 days straight, have 10 days off; then the other would work 10 days straight and have 10 days off. They took vacations all the time without burning up vacation time! Well, when the one guy reported early (or left late, I can't remember) and had only 7:57 instead of 8 hours between shifts, the SOC manager put a stop to that. So, @ G7, it WAS possible to set up that kind of schedule with some seniority, but I don't know if that will happen again. As for other regional airlines YMMV, as they say...

MT

Commuting is the absolute worst, however there are some offices in locations where your life expectancy may be longer by commuting as opposed to relocating.

When it comes to majors you don't really get a choice where you go. You go to the one that takes you and hold on for the ride, if that one happens to be located in hell, then you become a commuter.

and no. I think daily commuting is a terrible idea, as much as I would love to leave my craphole work city everyday, remaining employed is a bit more important.

A-9er

Commuting is the absolute worst, however there are some offices in locations where your life expectancy may be longer by commuting as opposed to relocating.

When it comes to majors you don't really get a choice where you go. You go to the one that takes you and hold on for the ride, if that one happens to be located in hell, then you become a commuter.

and no. I think daily commuting is a terrible idea, as much as I would love to leave my craphole work city everyday, remaining employed is a bit more important.
I agree, daily commuting would be a bit much. However, doing so on your off days might be doable. BTW, I remember my late mother, a retired teacher, telling me stories of kids whose fathers would ban together and get crash pads in NYC where they worked, and they'd commute home on the weekends-and we were in Jersey! Depending on where you were in Jersey (along with traffic), a one way commute could take 1.5-2 hours each way-if not more than that. So yeah, commuting daily, especially when working for an airline, would be too much.

That's why, if I were to ever get hired @ JetBlue (the only airline close to where my house is), I'd have to get a crash pad in NYC. The daily commute would be too much. I know, because I was seeing a gal over in Queens, not far from JetBlue's SOC. Google Maps says it should take about 2 hours, one way, to get there; the reality is closer to 2.5-3 hours each way, depending on the NJ Turnpike, GW Bridge, and Cross Bronx Expressway. I'd get a crash pad, then go home on my off days...

Last edited:

MT

I agree, daily commuting would be a bit much. However, doing so on your off days might be doable. BTW, I remember my late mother, a retired teacher, telling me stories of kids whose fathers would ban together and get crash pads in NYC where they worked, and they'd commute home on the weekends-and we were in Jersey! Depending on where you were in Jersey (along with traffic), a one way commute could take 1.5-2 hours each way-if not more than that. So yeah, commuting daily, especially when working for an airline, would be too much.

That's why, if I were to ever get hired @ JetBlue (the only airline close to where my house is), I'd have to get a crash pad in NYC. The daily commute would be too much. I know, because I was seeing a gal over in Queens, not far from JetBlue's SOC. Google Maps says it should take about 2 hours, one way, to get there; the reality is closer to 2.5-3 hours each way, depending on the NJ Turnpike, GW Bridge, and Cross Bronx Expressway. I'd get a crash pad, then go home on my off days...
The idea of a crash pad in your work city when you already live there seems odd, but given the reasons it makes sense. I guess the advantage being if you had to go home for something, you could.

A-9er

The idea of a crash pad in your work city when you already live there seems odd, but given the reasons it makes sense. I guess the advantage being if you had to go home for something, you could.
But JetBlue is TWO TO THREE HOURS away from my house; that's too much of a commute to to each way after 10 hours of work.