1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commuters Input Please

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by nyk, Sep 26, 2016.

1. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

QFT! If I were to, for example, work at Commutair in CLE, the drive time to my home would be about six hours. I recently flew back to my house in PA (near ABE), and door to door took me about eight hours. Flying time was around six hours, while transit time took me about two. So yeah, if you can find a job within driving distance, that's the better way to go.

2. thegriffinpages

thegriffinpages Well-Known Member

Okay, I gotta ask (since I've seen you write it a couple times..) - What does "QFT" means?

JetCrew likes this.
  3. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

I've thought about commuting, but I'd only do it on a WEEKLY basis. I'm not even sure I want to do that. I think I'll visit my house one or two times a month while probation lasts. When it ends, I'll worry about moving...

4. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

Quote for truth.

thegriffinpages likes this.
  5. TheGirlinPurple

TheGirlinPurple Well-Known Member

Any Idea which ones do not have commuting clauses in their dispatch contracts?

6. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

Actually, I've never heard of a commuting clause in a dispatch contract.

7. DispatcherSam

DispatcherSam NOTAMed OTS

9E has one, although the person who fought for that is now elsewhere, so I’m not sure if that will be negotiated on any future contracts.

8. Brett Spurgeon

Brett Spurgeon Well-Known Member

Southwest has a commuter clause

That's Affirm likes this.
  9. VFR

VFR Well-Known Member

Alaska has a commuter clause as well.

That's Affirm likes this.
  10. TheGirlinPurple

So at most regionals how hard is it to swap for an 8 on 6 off schedule?

11. mrezee

mrezee Living the dream!

Depends on the regional. At my airline, many people do it and love it, and management has no problem with it. You just have to find somebody that bids an opposite schedule as you and is willing to do it, which isn't too hard at my shop. However, at another regional airline that's a stone's throw away from ours, the dispatchers are prevented from working more than 6 days in a row, which kind of squashes the whole 8/6 idea.

12. thegriffinpages

thegriffinpages Well-Known Member

I'm not a dispatcher yet, but I've worked more than 6 days in a row before at other jobs.

I don't know how people do it consistently especially if they are 10 (which often turn into 12 or more) hour shifts.

After a while, my brain just needs a break from work!

For me, over 6 days is fine every once in a while (and in my experience, it just cuts into the regular days off, so you work 6 or 7 days with 1 maybe 2 days off), but week after week, I think I'd lose my mind.

However, I can see how it would be nice to have 8 days off in a row, so there's that.

I've never had that kind of option so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.

13. bbmikej

bbmikej Well-Known Member

8 days in a row isn't too bad when you immediately get 6 days off. It's when you start swapping to get extended periods off and do something like 8 on 1 off 10 on 2 off that is gets really tiring.

14. TheGirlinPurple

With my background in ATC, I'm used to odd schedules. If I get my dispatch certificate, commuting will most likely be a must for me as I have land and other plans in an area that has no appealing Regional jobs. I think for a commuter, an 8 on 6 off schedule would be much more appealing than commuting every week on a 4 on 3 off schedule. JMHO....

15. BayouMLU

BayouMLU Well-Known Member

I once worked 91 days in a row. Now as a dispatcher, but in the aviation industry. Not every shift was a full shift, either but for 91 days I was at work, doing work.

If you love what you do...

16. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

I can't speak for other regionals, but at G7, DXers do trade days off; trading shifts is allowed. However, the practice has been somewhat reigned in @ G7. Let me tell you a story...

There are two guys who work midnights, and they had a NICE RACKET going. They'd basically swap days so one would work 10 days straight, have 10 days off; then the other would work 10 days straight and have 10 days off. They took vacations all the time without burning up vacation time! Well, when the one guy reported early (or left late, I can't remember) and had only 7:57 instead of 8 hours between shifts, the SOC manager put a stop to that. So, @ G7, it WAS possible to set up that kind of schedule with some seniority, but I don't know if that will happen again. As for other regional airlines YMMV, as they say...

17. MT

MT Well-Known Member

Commuting is the absolute worst, however there are some offices in locations where your life expectancy may be longer by commuting as opposed to relocating.

When it comes to majors you don't really get a choice where you go. You go to the one that takes you and hold on for the ride, if that one happens to be located in hell, then you become a commuter.

and no. I think daily commuting is a terrible idea, as much as I would love to leave my craphole work city everyday, remaining employed is a bit more important.

bilbolinski likes this.
  18. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

I agree, daily commuting would be a bit much. However, doing so on your off days might be doable. BTW, I remember my late mother, a retired teacher, telling me stories of kids whose fathers would ban together and get crash pads in NYC where they worked, and they'd commute home on the weekends-and we were in Jersey! Depending on where you were in Jersey (along with traffic), a one way commute could take 1.5-2 hours each way-if not more than that. So yeah, commuting daily, especially when working for an airline, would be too much.

That's why, if I were to ever get hired @ JetBlue (the only airline close to where my house is), I'd have to get a crash pad in NYC. The daily commute would be too much. I know, because I was seeing a gal over in Queens, not far from JetBlue's SOC. Google Maps says it should take about 2 hours, one way, to get there; the reality is closer to 2.5-3 hours each way, depending on the NJ Turnpike, GW Bridge, and Cross Bronx Expressway. I'd get a crash pad, then go home on my off days...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    manniax likes this.
  19. MT

MT Well-Known Member

The idea of a crash pad in your work city when you already live there seems odd, but given the reasons it makes sense. I guess the advantage being if you had to go home for something, you could.

20. A-9er

A-9er Well-Known Member

But JetBlue is TWO TO THREE HOURS away from my house; that's too much of a commute to to each way after 10 hours of work.