1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commuters Input Please

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by nyk, Sep 26, 2016.

1. nyk

nyk Well-Known Member

If one was to commute to work and would have the opportunity to have around 8-10 flights a day to your job and 8-10 back with zero connecting flights would you do it daily? Given: 10 hour shifts 4 days a week and the flight is only around hour one way.

2. Flying Saluki

Flying Saluki Well-Known Member

When you factor check-in time, and transit between airport and work, a one hour flight quickly turns into a 3-hour (or more) commute each way. I would probably just commute once per week. And, I would probably drive. It might take a little longer than flying, but you have the convenience traveling on your own schedule.

Mainline_or_bust and azmedic like this.
  3. TN-DX

TN-DX Well-Known Member

How many flights are on company metal? How many prior to start or shift and how many after? Oh and city pairs too. That can make a huge difference.

4. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

Is it for a regional job? If so,is it a route going to a legacy hub? If so,there is the potential for tons of commuters,even ones for the same company you work for. Like someone else said,either drive or commute in for the week and get a crashpad. A short commute like that can turn into a hassle quickly especially if WX/MX becomes an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta Echo likes this.
  5. nyk

nyk Well-Known Member

One flight on company metal. Its GSO to ATL. I'm just really tired of moving.

The way I look at it is this. I don't want to move haha so I figured with that many flights a day it shouldn't be a problem commuting daily. I don't have a family or married but I'm just looking to stay put for awhile. The pay isn't going to be anything spectacular so why bother moving plus I just moved here in February and really don't have the energy to move again. Thanks for the input so far everyone.

e30guy likes this.
  6. F9DXER

F9DXER Well-Known Member

I can totally understand the not wanting to move part.

It can be done daily. I knew someone that commuted daily between LAS and DEN. Like you he had no kids (to include 4 legged ones) or family at home so he didn't have to be there.

You are going to pay a cost by commuting. Time being the biggest one, also expect that you may have to spend money for a hotel/food at time.
    Everyone is different when it comes to commuting so if it works for you - fine. But you will never know until you try.

7. LX Sport

LX Sport Well-Known Member

I commute to Chicago from MSP....on average its atleast 3-4 hours each way. There are alot of flights between the two city pairs, considering Chicago has two airports that have flights to MSP, and its only an hour flight, I still would NEVER daily commute. That sounds like employment suicide. One cancelled flight can screw you over, one bad wx day can screw you over. It might be possible, but it seems like a stupid idea to me.

Get a crashpad and commute home on the weekends...like a normal airline employee :)

8. nyk

nyk Well-Known Member

Thanks for calling me stupid :sarcasm:

9. CRJInTheHeartOfTexas

CRJInTheHeartOfTexas ♫ The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright ♫

Too many a holes on here whose opinion is always right.

10. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

Self discovery is an important part of one's journey through life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huhhhh, Avgirl and azmedic like this.
  11. bushpilot87

bushpilot87 Well-Known Member

what an asinine idea.

12. Luigi

Luigi Well-Known Member

I commute daily, super easy, get in my car, drive 15 minutes to work. Coming home is even easier...no traffic!:)

pcstan, PHL_Approach, Huhhhh and 4 others like this.
  13. That's Affirm

That's Affirm Has an Active Member

If you like where you live try it out. I commuted to SKW in SGU from SLC for a year. Despite there being multiple flights on company metal from both SGU and CDC to SLC daily I found it easier to drive the 4hrs than take the 1hr flight simply because it was on my schedule and I got to maximized my time at home with the wifey. I did not do it daily though, only once every 4 days. I believe I would still be doing the same thing if I were at SKW today.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    manniax likes this.
  14. nyk

nyk Well-Known Member

Dont speak. Everytime you do I want to vomit.

15. ChitownMike

ChitownMike Well-Known Member

I commute between Chicago and Indy every week for work but not daily. I've got a crash pad I share with a fellow dispatcher and its $400 a month including rent/bills. I also typically drive back and forth instead of flying as the hassle of airport parking and not always getting on the planned flight turns a 90 min ordeal into a few hours or as other posters have stated - cancelled or severely delayed flights.

That's Affirm and manniax like this.
  16. Burrito

Burrito I'll ask the stupid questions

getty_010816_koalastopsignstory-200x200.jpg

Check your QOL, my man. If you're up for the commute and the risks therein, moving "just once more" may be the lesser of two evils.

This coming from someone doing PHL/DAY and drives 30 min during the 4-day on's for the crashpad.

All about your QOL.

scott523, ChitownMike and Pilot121 like this.
  17. Flagship_dxer

Flagship_dxer The Penis Mightier

He is right in a way. It will be a miserable experience trying to commute everyday from GSO-ATL. It is a stressful way to live your life. GSO-ATL has a decent amount of pilot commuters on it. Your own metal wont matter much if a pilot from your own company shows up. RDU is close and CLT a little further afield but all three are frequently full with jumpseaters to ATL. You dont want to have to bang in sick often because you missed your commuting flight.

On the return side, you will always be at the mercy of your relief showing up early, TSA lines, and the frequent long trips to the gate at ATL via walking/train.

Its a terrible idea and your blood pressure will likely go through the roof if you try it. Avoid the stress and get a crash pad.

If you are working at XJT, you can expect to be junior manned fairly often which will mean even more days you would need to commute back and forth.

If you are on the L-XJT side, you will not as of the last time I checked have DL benefits. This means you will be at the bottom of the priority for seats in the back on GSO-ATL if a pilot shows up.

18. 747Dispatcher

747Dispatcher Well-Known Member

commuting can get old, pretty fast !!!!

Burrito and ChitownMike like this.
  19. Burrito

Burrito I'll ask the stupid questions

yes it does.

20. PHL_Approach

PHL_Approach Well-Known Member

I'm agree with mannix. It'll be a life lesson. Try it since you think it's a manageable daily commute. More than likely, you'll realize it's not a good idea after a bit. But the benefit of trying it out is it'll kick your butt into moving as fast as you possibly can. Good motivation for a move. So yes, give it a shot.