CommutAir Furlough (Edit: Mesa is now as well.)

Max Power

I just have a hard time thinking how this could have escaped the imagination of the MEC while literally everyone else was eating a turd sandwich. Why do these jabronis get to keep their salaries while line pilots are furloughed? It's not like it wasn't a point of contention for years.
I’ll never understand it. Any part of it besides the usual “we need people” desperation that’s always plagued C5. And when the expansion was started, they were really desperate for instructors. Because as usual, they didn’t have the forethought to ramp up hiring before trying to bring the airplanes online.

United didn’t help that one either due to the unreasonable timeframe they gave C5, which again speaks to the problem of having all the eggs in one basket. UA gave C5 a lot of leeway early on with the 145 operation because it was awful. Honestly, I’m surprised we didn’t “die” then.

Cruise

It’s the healthcare cost that I would fear most if furloughed. I would want to do everything possible to help people stay employed if for nothing else, healthcare.
If only there were a candidate who was championing medical coverage as a human right instead of that coverage being tied to employers?!? Wonder how we could make medical coverage for all a reality? Or we could just stay the current course and let insurance companies dictate medical necessity as it affects their bottom line?

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
If only there were a candidate who was championing medical coverage as a human right instead of that coverage being tied to employers?!? Wonder how we could make medical coverage for all a reality? Or we could just stay the current course and let insurance companies dictate medical necessity as it affects their bottom line?
You're right. Had the timing been about a month or two different, I think the outcome would have been different.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
Wonder how we could make medical coverage for all a reality?
No Republican would vote for that, so you'd have to elect a Democrat as President, and elect a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives and at least 60 Democrats to the Senate to overcome the inevitable Republican filibuster (possible this year if the Democrats make an unprecedented 13-seat gain). Don't see it surviving legal challenges as long as there's a conservative SCOTUS majority.

Cruise

No Republican would vote for that, so you'd have to elect a Democrat as President, and elect a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives and at least 60 Democrats to the Senate to overcome the inevitable Republican filibuster (possible this year if the Democrats make an unprecedented 13-seat gain). Don't see it surviving legal challenges as long as there's a conservative SCOTUS majority.
Well we can talk about how it's impossible to achieve...or we can vote to make it a reality. The choice is ours, not theirs. Unfortunately far too many Americans vote against their own best interest. No time like the present to change that behavior.

Yakob

.or we can vote to make it a reality.
Hopefully that happens, but I'm not holding my breath, especially since all signs are pointing to a massive Republican wave in November so far.

Also I doubt electing someone who has been in Congress since I was in utero and done squat other than rename a pair of post offices is going to do much good, if you're promoting the candidate I gather you are. Nominating him would be gift-wrapping the easiest reelection since 1820 for Trump.

EDIT: I also doubt you'll win many converts by telling people they're voting against their own interests.

QXDX

People always vote in their best interests. But they don't all have the same interests.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Cliffnotes so far:

20+ years to recover from this
Travel will never be the same, no one is going to travel for many years
Millions and millions will be in bread lines for years, this is going to be the worst recession in our countries history
Todd is a Republican
Automation is going to take over jobs, thus making it impossible to see any recovery for the rest of our lives (40-60 years)

Man, I should really go back and read the reaction to the 2008 economic crisis. That must have been WILD

trafficinsight

Cliffnotes so far:

20+ years to recover from this
Travel will never be the same, no one is going to travel for many years
Millions and millions will be in bread lines for years, this is going to be the worst recession in our countries history
Todd is a Republican
Automation is going to take over jobs, thus making it impossible to see any recovery for the rest of our lives (40-60 years)

Man, I should really go back and read the reaction to the 2008 economic crisis. That must have been WILD

Garlic bread lines.

Yakob

No they don't. In a perfect world, sure, but a lot of people vote without knowledge of the candidate.
Yes, lots of people vote without doing their research on the candidates or having all the knowledge they'd need to make an informed decision. I'll admit I've done this before.

Of course, telling people they're voting against their own interests probably won't convince them to vote the way you want them to. It's condescending.

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, lots of people vote without doing their research on the candidates or having all the knowledge they'd need to make an informed decision. I'll admit I've done this before.

Of course, telling people they're voting against their own interests probably won't convince them to vote the way you want them to. It's condescending.
A lot of pilots vote for anti-union politicians. They do so often because they have another thing that is swaying their vote that is more politicized and visible, like guns. There is not one politician out there who perfectly aligns with me, or anybody. So you have to find one who matches you the best, unfortunately with only 2 parties we're very limited with our choices.

Yakob

A lot of pilots vote for anti-union politicians. They do so often because they have another thing that is swaying their vote that is more politicized and visible, like guns.
That one I always find ironic. As I've mentioned before, I've heard co-workers of mine complain about how awful Democrats are and then launch right into complaining about management and how awful our contract is.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Healthcare a "human right"? God, here we go. How much healthcare is a human right? Is choosing my provider a human right, too? It being a human right and all, then surely the poorest dirt farmer in Outer Trashcanistan has a right to just as much of it as you or I do? I mean, if you think about it, you're committing a crime against humanity every time you go to the podiatrist, cause not everybody has one of those.

Positing that a service is a "human right" without in any way delineating what that service even consists of beyond "care" is babbling nonsense.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Healthcare a "human right"? God, here we go. How much healthcare is a human right? Is choosing my provider a human right, too? It being a human right and all, then surely the poorest dirt farmer in Outer Trashcanistan has a right to just as much of it as you or I do? I mean, if you think about it, you're committing a crime against humanity every time you go to the podiatrist, cause not everybody has one of those.

Positing that a service is a "human right" without in any way delineating what that service even consists of beyond "care" is babbling nonsense.
if a man made object such a gun can be a “human right” or “natural right” than a service such as healthcare certainly can be.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
if a man made object such a gun can be a “human right” or “natural right” than a service such as healthcare certainly can be.
It's neither, and no one makes that claim that I'm aware of. It's a political right, which is enumerated precisely because it is not presumptive. It's also definable. "Healthcare" is absurdly nebulous. Again, how much? From whom? You do not have a right to my labor, whether I'm a pilot, a ditch-digger, or a physician.