1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COD crashed enroute to Carrier

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by JDean3204, Nov 22, 2017.

1. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"The 3 missing sailors from the C-2A Greyhound crash have been identified as Lt. Steven Combs; Seaman Matthew Chialastri, an aviation boatswain’s mate; and Seaman Apprentice Bryan Grosso, an aviation ordnanceman.

Combs, a native of Florida, was assigned to the “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 and embarked aboard Ronald Reagan as part of Carrier Air Wing Five. His previous duty assignments include the “Greyhawks” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 120, the Center for Security Forces Detachment Kittery Point, in Portsmouth, N.H., and Training Wing 4, in Corpus Christi, Texas. His awards include the National Defense Ribbon and the Navy Battle “E” Ribbon.

Chialastri, a native of Louisiana, was assigned to Ronald Reagan. His previous duty stations include USS America (LHA 6), Patrol Squadron Thirty (VP-30), the “Pro’s Nest,” in Jacksonville, Fla., and the Center for Security Forces Detachment Kittery Point, in Portsmouth, N.H. His awards include the National Defense Ribbon.

Grosso, a native of Florida was assigned to Ronald Reagan. His previous duty stations include the Naval Air Technical Training Center in Pensacola, Fla., and the Naval Recruit Training Center in Great Lakes, Ill. His awards include the National Defense Ribbon."

Fair winds and following seas, gentlemen. RIP

Pilot Fighter likes this.
  2. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

Fair winds and following seas.

SurferLucas likes this.
  3. Pilot Fighter

Pilot Fighter Well-Known Member

Godspeed, gentlemen.

4. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

First of all, RIP to our shipmates as well, I have no doubt they knowingly sacrificed themselves to save the others........it's a shame we can only remember our best and brightest in these situations with such thoughts, rather than buying them a drink at the club (though 7th fleet is currently dry so I hear).

@ bunk, if I remember correctly, you were one of the last guys to have any night boat experience in the COD. How was that, and what sort of ops were you guys running? I remember the good deal 3 COD hits per day, but have no idea how the night page worked for you all. Shot to the beach or stay over?

5. JDean3204

JDean3204 Well-Known Member

IIRC, no pax could be on board for a launch after sunset. When a COD needed mx on the boat, that was always a point of emphasis. Make sure to have it fixed and op checked in time for a launch to the beach prior to sunset. If it was just mail, I THINK we were able to launch out at night. It wasn't very common though, most cod hits were a few times a day early am after sunset and allowing enough time for the in case mx issue..

Lawman likes this.
  6. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

Good to see some level of common sense risk management at work to temper that “just get it done!” attitude that can run away in the ops planning world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Pilot Fighter

First fatal C-2 loss since 1973. That doesn't happen by chance.

8. JDean3204

JDean3204 Well-Known Member

Major reading comprehension fail on my end, just noticed you said "one of the last guys to have night ops experience..". I'm guessing that ended long before my time at -40.

@bunk22 when did they stop doing night ops?

9. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

Agreed, RIP to our shipmates.

So from 97-2000 at VRC-30 and from 97-2005, VRC-30 Det 5 and VAW-120...did night carrier ops, trained for night traps. I was part of that at both squadrons. At 30, we rarely flew logistic missions at night, talking cargo only, as said above, no pax at night. As a det, we stayed on the boat and stayed night current with airborne re-spots, generally as part of the last launch at night. I had 76 night landings from the left seat and about 90 from the right as I was a night CQ IP at VAW-120.

So on my 99 cruise, we stayed on the boat with very few overnights on the beach. I had the least as I was the only paddles for the det. As for me, we started staying on the beach, mid way through my 01 WESTPAC, shortly after we stopped doing night boat ops; except Det 5, they continued night ops through 2005.

JDean3204 likes this.
  10. milleR

milleR Well-Known Member

Why don't they do night ops any more? I'm assuming the E-2 guys fly all night, don't the E-2/C-2 share the same wing?

11. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

It is not required, the logistics mission and be handled in the day. The E2 does fly at night, rquired given its mission. COD pilots fly at night, just dont do night traps. Night traps truely make you a better ball flyer, requires a more FCLPs and a trap every 7 days at night to stay night current.

milleR likes this.
  12. milleR

milleR Well-Known Member

Thanks

13. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

Night boat currency is one of the biggest pains around.......even on cruise, it never ends. Fly a few day only events/missions during the week, and your penance is a 20 min night "PROF" (or proficiency) event that only exists to get you one night cat/trap and make you "current" again for the next 7 days. I am hoping that when PLM becomes full up, some of those currency standards start to ease (maybe one in 14 or something?). Then again, a night prof with PLM is not nearly as scary.

milleR and bunk22 like this.
  14. Bandit_Driver

Bandit_Driver Gold Member

PLM??? @///AMG can you translate

15. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

Precision Landing Modes.

Bandit_Driver likes this.
  16. Bandit_Driver

17. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

I can freely explain a lot more if you care, but basically, in cliffs notes, PLM is the best thing to ever hit carrier aviation...........equal or better than angled decks and fresnel lens's.

18. Bandit_Driver

Please do. Is anything changing for non fly by wire aircraft in how they trap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

Well, now it gets easier. I wonder if the Magic Carpet will be used with prop guys? Won’t matter for COD types 5-10 years from now I suppose, the V-22 is replacing it.

20. Pilot Fighter

Will legacy Hornets be PLM capable?