COD crashed enroute to Carrier

Pilot Fighter

Very sad. I think this is the first fatal C-2 in almost 50 years.

Given the number of survivors, I'm speculating they ditched.

My father witnessed one go in off the Ranger in 1970 or 1971 with no survivors. It was thought that cargo broke loose on the cat shot and slid aft.

Lawman

Bunk22 used too. Don’t know if he was in Carrier Det 5 or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Bunk22 used too. Don’t know if he was in Carrier Det 5 or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be wrong, but memory says that he was connected to them. The distinctive tail on those C2s reminded me of some stuff he's posted before. Again, though I may be wrong about this.

This is very sad. Feel bad for all of them. That's gotta be a tight community.

JDean3204

I did not fly them, but I worked on them for 5 years as an enlisted guy. I know many people still in the VRC community and a few in that specific detachment. It's a platform that people tend to stick around in providing they can get orders, as it is a great qol as far as Navy Deployments go.

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong, but memory says that he was connected to them. The distinctive tail on those C2s reminded me of some stuff he's posted before. Again, though I may be wrong about this.

This is very sad. Feel bad for all of them. That's gotta be a tight community.
Yes, as Lawman was saying, Bunk flew them for many years.

If I'm not mistaken, there's only three VRC squadrons in the USN, so I would imagine tight knit indeed.

Very sad. I think this is the first fatal C-2 in almost 50 years.

Given the number of survivors, I'm speculating they ditched.

My father witnessed one go in off the Ranger in 1970 or 1971 with no survivors. It was thought that cargo broke loose on the cat shot and slid aft.
Tragic indeed, the December 1970 one.

///AMG

Yes, as Lawman was saying, Bunk flew them for many years.

If I'm not mistaken, there's only three VRC squadrons in the USN, so I would imagine tight knit indeed.

Tragic indeed, the December 1970 one.

Only 2 VRC's these days.....-30 at NASNI, and -40 at NAS Norfolk. 30 serves PACFLT and 40 serves AIRLANT. And that is one of the more horrifying videos of all time. I don't think I have not thought about it during every COD catshot I've been on.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Only 2 VRC's these days.....-30 at NASNI, and -40 at NAS Norfolk. 30 serves PACFLT and 40 serves AIRLANT. And that is one of the more horrifying videos of all time. I don't think I have not thought about it during every COD catshot I've been on.
-50 got disestablished?

T/O w/FSII

Wish I never saw any of the crashes I've seen, especially the ones in person.

I wish the 747 guys had more altitude, they may haven't gotten control back...

The trucks rolled into and through the aft pressure bulkhead and jammed the elevator in position. They also took out the CVR and FDR at the same time and many parts of the hydraulic systems. The report is really interesting.

dustoff17

IIRC it wasn’t the cg shift that killed them, it was the MRAPs damaging flight control systems.
The CG shift would have been enough even if the hydraulics had not been damaged.

This COD deal is a sad situation. The pilot I used to fly with was a Greyhound driver.....tight group. Prayers and thoughts for the recovery and the families of those lost.

bunk22

I flew the C-2A(R) or COD for many years. Had 1709 hours in it, which is a lot if anyone knows how the military operates and the money we lacked back then. Anyway, it is the first fatality crash of a COD since 73. I assume they ditched as well and 3 personnel were lost at sea. RIP SHIPMATES, WE HAVE THE WATCH.

gocaps16

I spent 4 years in Yokosuka and Atsugi recently and I know a lot of good friends currently still at VRC-30 Det 5 and on the Ronald Reagan. It's been a rough year in the 7th fleet. Providers Strong Det 5!!!!