Club Furlough

paincorp

It shows Republic agreed to CARES Act money on 5/12, yet they furloughed 1/3 of their Dispatchers around 4/28 which is within a week of many of their competitors and partners accepting money. How scummy. I've heard through the grapevine they're trying to play hardball with partner carrier minimum guarantees too and it's not going to be a pretty end result if they keep it up. They deserve it (the company, not the employees), now is not the the time to be biting the hand that literally feeds you.
That really doesn’t surprise me at all. Republic doesn’t have the ability to think long term. Look what happened with their pilots contract. They screwed them over for so long that they panicked when they started cancelling a bunch of flights every day because they couldn’t staff them, gave them WAY more than they should have, and are now left with the option to only furlough one of their cheapest departments, which saves them next to nothing compared to pilots. Board members need to take a long hard look at Bedford and decide if he’s really the person they want running the show. Sad thing is he’ll probably just wave the Bible in front of them and they’ll be Jedi mind tricked into keeping him.

dispatchguy

Disagree with me all you want but I do not see how being an employee in any capacity with a major makes you a better dispatch candidate by default...
I'm going to disagree with you. First my perspective, all-cargo major now, former scumbag nonsked and regional experience, not a manager. If you are an internal candidate, while you may not have 121 dispatch experience throwing bags or boxes, managers talk, and if you are a good employee at your current internal gig, conscientious, willing to learn, teachable, that will go a long way to getting that coveted interview. Even if you're just throwing boxes.

An internal is a known quantity. An external candidate isn't, and its that simple.

Dx81

I'm going to disagree with you. First my perspective, all-cargo major now, former scumbag nonsked and regional experience, not a manager. If you are an internal candidate, while you may not have 121 dispatch experience throwing bags or boxes, managers talk, and if you are a good employee at your current internal gig, conscientious, willing to learn, teachable, that will go a long way to getting that coveted interview. Even if you're just throwing boxes.

An internal is a known quantity. An external candidate isn't, and its that simple.
A known quantity of being a good employee or good at your current job does not equate to being a good Dispatcher.

This job is not for everyone. Getting through dispatch school is difficult for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

harunaka10

Those of you who suddenly found yourselves without a dispatch job, what are your plans now?
Considering I spent about 6k to get a job promotion for all of about 2 years... I'd love to get a job in dispatch again but honestly I'm feeling lost. The skills dont transfer to many other positions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

paincorp

Those of you who suddenly found yourselves without a dispatch job, what are your plans now?
I’m not panicking yet. Things are trending up, so I’m gonna give it a month or two before I make any final decisions. I am very seriously considering whether my regional is where I potentially want to be long term now that the outlook isn’t as bright. May try to jump if another regional open ups, but even then I haven’t decided.

Luigi

I’m not panicking yet. Things are trending up, so I’m gonna give it a month or two before I make any final decisions. I am very seriously considering whether my regional is where I potentially want to be long term now that the outlook isn’t as bright. May try to jump if another regional open ups, but even then I haven’t decided.
My guess would be 3 years (at least) till the next major hiring. Every major so far has said they plan to come out the other side of this crisis as a smaller airline. So if on the other side of this you feel like you aren’t happy at your regional, and another regional is hiring. Go for it! But be prepared to be bottom of seniority for awhile, because if the majors aren’t hiring...no one will really be leaving.

The 3 years statement is a pure guess. I have no evidence to back this up. Truthfully it even feels a bit optimistic to me.

paincorp

My guess would be 3 years (at least) till the next major hiring. Every major so far has said they plan to come out the other side of this crisis as a smaller airline. So if on the other side of this you feel like you aren’t happy at your regional, and another regional is hiring. Go for it! But be prepared to be bottom of seniority for awhile, because if the majors aren’t hiring...no one will really be leaving.

The 3 years statement is a pure guess. I have no evidence to back this up. Truthfully it even feels a bit optimistic to me.
Yeah. That’s part of my hesitation, but I’m also mentally preparing for this to cause me to stay at a regional forever worst case, and I know I don’t want to work at my current one for the rest of my life.

It’s a tough decision long term.

flynryan692

I'm skeptical as to whether or not my position will be around in October, but I'm relatively confident with my seniority they'd slide me back to full time dispatch. Even though that may be the case I'm not sure I want to do that, so I'm making sure I have something to jump to outside of aviation. I'll make a decision when/if it happens.

Fortunately the backup plan pays more out of the gate, has a higher ceiling, and is also something I can do almost anywhere in the country, so I guess it's win-win for me.

Athlaka

As a counter perspective what are the prospects of going into dispatch now with no experience? No one really knows the future I get that, but is it still a viable career path? Regionals are in turmoil and majors most likely won’t hire in the foreseeable future..

QXDX

A known quantity of being a good employee or good at your current job does not equate to being a good Dispatcher.

This job is not for everyone. Getting through dispatch school is difficult for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
The only thing that made my dispatch school "difficult" was the drink-from-the-fire-hose method of teaching. In those days, it was a necessity, becaues dispatch school was all in-residence.
Yeah. That’s part of my hesitation, but I’m also mentally preparing for this to cause me to stay at a regional forever worst case, and I know I don’t want to work at my current one for the rest of my life.

It’s a tough decision long term.
A regional is a regional is a regional. The only meaningful difference between them is location. Pick a place you want to live, and go work for that one.

flygirl142

Considering I spent about 6k to get a job promotion for all of about 2 years... I'd love to get a job in dispatch again but honestly I'm feeling lost. The skills dont transfer to many other positions.

As long as it was at least $1.50, financially, you came out ahead. Sucks though from a time perspective though.
Financially, you've lost nothing but you've hopefully gained knowledge and skills that you can apply to other jobs. (I don't know if your previous job was a similar skill set or not.

A-9er

As long as it was at least $1.50, financially, you came out ahead. Sucks though from a time perspective though.
Financially, you've lost nothing but you've hopefully gained knowledge and skills that you can apply to other jobs. (I don't know if your previous job was a similar skill set or not.

I beg to differ with you. One HUGE transferable skill is customer service; you're dealing with people all day on the phone. You're talking to pilots, MX control, scheduling, people at out stations, and ATC. to name a few. A guy I trained with ended up leaving; DX wasn't for him. He got a job as a registrar at a local hospital. They're the people who check you in.

Reactions: Kev

KiloEchoVictor

I like how this thread went from “hey, a bunch of us lost our jobs when our employer didn’t follow the CARES Act” to “screw you, internals with no experience make better dispatchers, you have bad habits.”
Crabs in a bucket, which is how the bigwigs like it. Fighting between work groups is bad enough, contained fighting within disciplines is the primo stuff executives and managers love. And it's much easier to do with us desk jockeys because we don't have unions like crews have unions. They have real worker solidarity in those work groups, and for some reason after all this time, we still don't. There's a serious problem with this "**** you, I got mine" mentality that I keep seeing pop up in flight control.
Case in point:
Calm down man
Depending on a person's seniority and level of experience, this whole thing could have effectively been a career-ending event. I know RPA dispatchers who were there for only a couple of years or even just in their first year, so even when hiring opens up it will be very difficult for them to advance themselves, if they can get back in at all. The best bet for them seems to be to hope for a recall, but there's no way to know if or when that will happen.

It shows Republic agreed to CARES Act money on 5/12, yet they furloughed 1/3 of their Dispatchers around 4/28 which is within a week of many of their competitors and partners accepting money. How scummy. I've heard through the grapevine they're trying to play hardball with partner carrier minimum guarantees too and it's not going to be a pretty end result if they keep it up. They deserve it (the company, not the employees), now is not the the time to be biting the hand that literally feeds you.
My prediction is that RPA will probably end up declaring bankruptcy again as a result of all this. If they ever do manage to get back to a point where they can start recalling people, I have a hard time believing that they'll be able to get everybody to come back. It could be months or even next year before they get to that point, given how badly demand is still suppressed, especially with now having the riots on top of the virus. Nobody wants to travel through cities that are being burned to the damn ground.

That’s true up until the point that you realize all remaining regional carriers took money under the same agreement, and only one has furloughed.
Makes you wonder what else they're not saying...

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
A regional is a regional is a regional. The only meaningful difference between them is location. Pick a place you want to live, and go work for that one.
Having worked for three different regional airlines over the course of my career, I'll have to disagree with this sentiment. While none of them had great pay, one of them was markedly worse in terms of management and quality of life (as well as benefits) than the other two.

dx8709

As a counter perspective what are the prospects of going into dispatch now with no experience? No one really knows the future I get that, but is it still a viable career path? Regionals are in turmoil and majors most likely won’t hire in the foreseeable future..
It depends. Are you spending your last dollar or taking a loan to do the DX license? In the last 6 months we've had two good sized regionals disappear completely and there are many experienced DXers who are unemployed who will flood any open position with applications. A lot of people who complete dispatch school never find employment as a dispatcher. If this is what you want to do and you won't go into some kind of hardship to get the ticket, go do it. Study hard, make connections, and expect to end up in a scheduling department or slinging bags for a little while while you wait.

bilbolinski

A lot of people who complete dispatch school never find employment as a dispatcher.
I like and agree with your post, except for this. I guess the term "a lot" can be subjective to oneself, and although it will most certainly take some time to find a job, I wouldn't go as far to make the statement of "never" either. It will, without question, be harder to find a job going forward though; however - not impossible.

KiloEchoVictor

expect to end up in a scheduling department or slinging bags for a little while while you wait.
What's scary is that this was already the reality for many people even before all of this. Your point about the sheer number of newly (or soon to be) unemployed dispatchers flooding any new job postings can't be overstated. It's going to be very hard for anybody who was or will be furloughed to get back on the horse when demand finally comes back.