Club Furlough

El Oso

do not see how being an employee in any capacity with a major makes you a better dispatch candidate by default...
Not better, not worse, just different.

You're a known commodity, especially if you're already working in the NOC/SOC/IOC/whatever.

One of the big factors in hiring is making sure someone isn't going to be a 20-30 year problem. If you're already in the building, have a reputation of being smart and able to work well in the unique environment of an airline operations center, then it's an easy decision to make.

mikealpha

My head is spinning. Dr. Fauci came out and said the other day that millions of vaccines being ready by Jan is not an unreasonable assumption and then today I read the W.H.O said there is no guarantee a vaccine will made at all.
I normally don’t trust the W.H.O but I agree with them here. Most countries will have heard immunity before any vaccine is made. You just can’t get a safe vaccine out quick enough.Sweden says they are weeks away from heard immunity.
look at SARS, a vaccine was developed after it had already run its course, not needed at that point.

KiloEchoVictor

Heard through the grapevine that republic is now seeking armed security for their lobby at HQ... Must have a lot of unhappy customers...

I normally don’t trust the W.H.O but I agree with them here. Most countries will have heard immunity before any vaccine is made. You just can’t get a safe vaccine out quick enough.Sweden says they are weeks away from heard immunity.
look at SARS, a vaccine was developed after it had already run its course, not needed at that point.
Not to mention that coronaviruses are difficult to make lasting vaccines for. The common cold is a type of coronavirus, as were SARS and MERS. Nobody is an expert on this new coronavirus yet because we're still in the early stages of studying it, so there's really no reason to think an effective and safe vaccine can be made for this one when it couldn't be for the others. But in spite of all that, the narrative now seems to have shifted from "flatten the curve" to "wait for a vaccine," one that may never actually come. I am really skeptical of how much of this whole mess was necessary and how much was just hysteria.

GateChange

Not better, not worse, just different.

You're a known commodity, especially if you're already working in the NOC/SOC/IOC/whatever.

One of the big factors in hiring is making sure someone isn't going to be a 20-30 year problem. If you're already in the building, have a reputation of being smart and able to work well in the unique environment of an airline operations center, then it's an easy decision to make.
Amen.

paincorp

How many dispatchers were there before the forloughs
94 including 4 trainees that were less than a week from comp check. Two of those 94 were at LIFT but still on the seniority list.

34 walked, 14 approved for leave, and at least one retired from what I was told. So they’ve lost a combined 49 people for the next few months at least.

Last edited:

A1TAPE

94 including 4 trainees that were less than a week from comp check. Two of those 94 were at LIFT but still on the seniority list.

34 walked, 14 approved for leave, and at least one retired from what I was told. So they’ve lost a combined 49 people for the next few months at least.
Wow!! How many flights did you usually have on the desks before the rona and now?

Atlanta

Heard through the grapevine that republic is now seeking armed security for their lobby at HQ... Must have a lot of unhappy customers...

Not to mention that coronaviruses are difficult to make lasting vaccines for. The common cold is a type of coronavirus, as were SARS and MERS. Nobody is an expert on this new coronavirus yet because we're still in the early stages of studying it, so there's really no reason to think an effective and safe vaccine can be made for this one when it couldn't be for the others. But in spite of all that, the narrative now seems to have shifted from "flatten the curve" to "wait for a vaccine," one that may never actually come. I am really skeptical of how much of this whole mess was necessary and how much was just hysteria.
Don’t forget we have a yearly vaccine for influenza that is about 40-50% effective. Hundreds of thousands of people die each year from the flu.

ATLiens

Don’t forget we have a yearly vaccine for influenza that is about 40-50% effective. Hundreds of thousands of people die each year from the flu.
and CDC says less than 50% of people in America get the flu shot. Less people would die if more people took it. although not all.

if they could get the cornavirus deaths on par with with the seasonal flu this would be wonderful. It would be even better since this virus mostly doesn’t kill children. The flu is more dangerous to young children.

KiloEchoVictor

Have seen this going around... No mention of the furlough at all. Maybe the reporter is just unaware but it wouldn't be hard for the media to figure things out

A1TAPE

So since they applied for the funds then furloughed could the government end up denying them the funds?

paincorp

The CARES Act states staffing as of March 24th. The company says because they have to repay some of the money it’s a loan, so they can furlough 10%. The union is doing jack •.