Club Furlough

flygirl142

I know a flight attendant with United that has been with them for over 24 years. She said she just barely made the cut. So flight attendants are definitely having a rough time of it

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
I know a flight attendant with United that has been with them for over 24 years. She said she just barely made the cut. So flight attendants are definitely having a rough time of it
The average of FAs will likely be closer to 60 at airlines if they do in worst case scenario furlough back ten years or more of hiring. I think the large WARN numbers that DL, UA, AA are putting out are meant to try to push the senior workers into retiring. I would not be surprised to see upgraded retirement offers going out over the next few months. They may say "final offer" but if they don't get enough takers for retirement or LOA something tells me they will keep upping the ante so they can get the senior employees on a path to being off the payroll.

There is a reason why at the big 4 voluntary retirements and LOAs are being prioritized over pay/benefit concessions. With all the aircraft being permanently retired and not replaced, overstaffing is likely long term without retirements. A furlough will happen eventually. A pay cut for example in the range of 15-25% still leaves the topped out senior dispatchers making much more than dispatchers with less than 10 years and well over 100K per year. The real longer term savings are when they have a payroll with more dispatchers who make less than 100K than having more who make greater than 100K.

WXDispatch

The average of FAs will likely be closer to 60 at airlines if they do in worst case scenario furlough back ten years or more of hiring. I think the large WARN numbers that DL, UA, AA are putting out are meant to try to push the senior workers into retiring. I would not be surprised to see upgraded retirement offers going out over the next few months. They may say "final offer" but if they don't get enough takers for retirement or LOA something tells me they will keep upping the ante so they can get the senior employees on a path to being off the payroll.

There is a reason why at the big 4 voluntary retirements and LOAs are being prioritized over pay/benefit concessions. With all the aircraft being permanently retired and not replaced, overstaffing is likely long term without retirements. A furlough will happen eventually. A pay cut for example in the range of 15-25% still leaves the topped out senior dispatchers making much more than dispatchers with less than 10 years and well over 100K per year. The real longer term savings are when they have a payroll with more dispatchers who make less than 100K than having more who make greater than 100K.
Hire me I'm cheap! lol

Sandydfw

WARN notices are often sent of in bulk. Companies will often send a lot more then they expect to furlough.
I am really hoping this is the case with the amount of WARN notices being sent out to the different airlines.

QXDX

Would non-union shops also furlough people based on seniority or performance or a combination of both?
I have observed that seniority is an understood and accepted principle that all operators generally adhere to. Exceptions might be made for those employees with whom working could be described as "difficult."

belgiumania

Exceptions might be made for those employees with whom working could be described as "difficult."
So then the answer is "no," seniority is not strictly respected in non-union shops as there is no obligation to do so.

Management's idea of a "difficult" employee may be very different from an actually bad employee, especially in a profession where speaking up for appropriate reasons (safety, workload, etc.) can cause a company issues.

azmedic

Sounds like XJT dispatchers may be joining the club soon too. Brutal brutal year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro