Chao calls on industry to help DOT resolve pilot shortage

JDean3204

Translation : “We are actually having to start paying real money to people. This is unsustainable in the long term if we wish to continue our tradition of rewarding executives”
This hits the nail directly on the head. I have read about 300 different “pilot shortage” articles and this is exactly what they insinuate. ...

Lawman

This hits the nail directly on the head. I have read about 300 different “pilot shortage” articles and this is exactly what they insinuate. ...
It strikes me as weird that both the military and civilian pilot communities are facing a devistating shortage, but the solution being employed by both is the wrong one and would work great for the opposite.

The military is throwing mortgage money at people and can’t get them to bite because our problem is quality of life and culture not money.

Lawman

That seems like a pretty terrible idea seeing as the most common thing about military life is moving around a lot.
It doesn’t have to be that way... but the solution that makes it that way would be unbelievably unpopular with the careerist mindset because it would offer fewer opportunity’s for mediocre people to climb the ladder.

Richman

It strikes me as weird that both the military and civilian pilot communities are facing a devistating shortage, but the solution being employed by both is the wrong one and would work great for the opposite.

The military is throwing mortgage money at people and can’t get them to bite because our problem is quality of life and culture not money.
Because the solution is:

1) Admiting that QOL matters, and it’s just not a matter of throwing money at people. QOL is expensive, relatively, because it affects staffing, and more staffing is more money.

2) Admitting that the current leadership is AFU. Considering the GOBN* in place, that is tantamount to worst sort of heresy.

3) Putting people in place that understand the problems and can enact solutions. Problem with this is that admitting someone MIGHT be right is worse than admitting you might be wrong (see #2).

* good ole’ boy network. I’ve seen this at a lot of places, and they will nearly lay down and die before admiting “the unit” is wrong.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
From my limited experience the military leadership problem is that the people currently in charge are the exact ones who benefited from the promote everyone mentality etc and to change it would akin to admitting they couldn’t do it on merit alone. Everyone knows you’re not a good master Sargent if you didn’t spend your weekends volunteering somewhere

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
From my limited experience the military leadership problem is that the people currently in charge are the exact ones who benefited from the promote everyone mentality etc and to change it would akin to admitting they couldn’t do it on merit alone. Everyone knows you’re not a good master Sargent if you didn’t spend your weekends volunteering somewhere
I didn't know the United States Air Force was actually a legacy airline.

Lawman

It’s not about the missions flown... it how well you planned and executed the Christmas party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richman

It’s not about the missions flown... it how well you planned and executed the Christmas party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having experienced this mindset before, you will never, ever convince them they are wrong. They'll circle the wagons and make it "their mission" to defeat you, because you are now the enemy.

Not the actual problem, mind you, but "the deviants" drawing the attention to the problem.

The only way to fix it is to allow them to commit such a colossal gaff of such epic proportions that people can't help but notice. The only thing you can hope for is that no one gets hurt and the problems they cause aren't permanent.

BigZ

The Air Force is the dumbest group of really smart people that I've ever seen....
Just got off the phone with a buddy, helicopter pilot dude. Flew all over the place in Mil-8s, then flew rich people in 429, now looking for a job. Tells me about this company flying Mil-8 for UN in Africa - they offered him right seat (it's not seniority based, just because. He's a former chief safety officer and instructor for that same company, 12.5k hrs, 8k+ of which in Mil-8) and 50k 5yr training contract. Naturally I inquired wtf and who tf flies there - says all military dudes, since they are used to the abuse being normal. So that's international.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Just got off the phone with a buddy, helicopter pilot dude. Flew all over the place in Mil-8s, then flew rich people in 429, now looking for a job. Tells me about this company flying Mil-8 for UN in Africa - they offered him right seat (it's not seniority based, just because. He's a former chief safety officer and instructor for that same company, 12.5k hrs, 8k+ of which in Mil-8) and 50k 5yr training contract. Naturally I inquired wtf and who tf flies there - says all military dudes, since they are used to the abuse being normal. So that's international.
Isn’t right seat in a helo PIC?