1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing management companies but same plane / owner

Discussion in 'Resume Assistance' started by v1valarob, Sep 2, 2016.

1. v1valarob

v1valarob Well-Known Member

So I took this job a year ago and pledged to myself I'd stay for at least 2 years. I currently have what I consider to be too many job changes in recent history.

Then this summer the owner of the aircraft I fly got in to a pissing match with the management company and they gave him the boot. I personally enjoy flying the owner and the crew I work with. We all decided to stay together and move with the plane to the new management company.

Nothing has changed for the most part. Plane parks I think the same spot. Plane is the same. Crew is the same. But the 135 certificate is different.

If I didn't have so many jobs on my resume already then I'd have no issue with listing both management companies on the resume and on airline apps. If you count the new management company I will now have 4 separate places since 2014.

Currently my resume lists the actual aircraft with no mention of the management company.

I don't want to get in to a situation where I get the phone call from a "dream destination" but then when I hand them PRIA paperwork there's 2 different 135 companies but only 1 job listed on the resume.

2. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

Staying with the owner/airplane sounds like a logical reason enough to have two companies listed for the same airplane.

Stone Cold likes this.
  3. mikecweb

mikecweb Third Generation Arizonan

Who were you actually employed by?

Stone Cold likes this.
  4. v1valarob

Depends on who you ask.

Its a weird situation to be in. I could tell the chief pilot that I did something rude with his mother to his face, but if he tried to fire me then the owner of the aircraft would go ballistic because we're "his guys." My paycheck says the management company, but the guy who provides the cash is the owner.

5. Stone Cold

Stone Cold Well-Known Member

So then it's a typical business aviation relationship. You were employed by the management company. They had a contact with you, I'll bet, and directly paid you.

Anybody in aviation that's ever dealt with management companies will understand why you have 2 companies listed. Just explain it to the interviewer if asked.

mikecweb likes this.
  6. NickH

NickH Dank Meme

I don't think company hopping is an issue right now. Lots of people moving on to the next thing. I don't think any company would look down on that on a resume.

7. mikecweb

mikecweb Third Generation Arizonan

What baldy said.

Put down where your paycheck came from and explain it in the interview.

Roger Roger and Stone Cold like this.
  8. v1valarob

Thanks for the help, buds! Ill list both.

9. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

I've been at the same "job" for 8 years, for 6 different employers, par for the course in the US.

10. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

I've been working on the same airplanes for 7 years for 2 different DBAs, 4 different holding companies, and at least 3 job titles...

tiredcfi and drunkenbeagle like this.