Challenger overdue in Mexico

mrivc211

Looks like they got into weather the plane couldn’t handle.
Worst weather I got into was in a little Phenom 100 jet. I had flown left seat for 8 years previously then did right seat at a 135 gig for a year. During that year, I saw numerous cringeworthy flying from inexperienced jr guys. During a trip, after heavy suggestions of not entering wx up ahead, the PIC entered anyway. In the 17,000 hours I've accumulated, I've scared myself a handful of times either thru turbulence(descending into PSP at night in the EMB-120 entering unforecasted severe/borderline extreme turbulence) or some type of weather occurrence, but that flight into that cell had scared me like no other. I seriously thought we were gonna break up in flight. No joke. Never have I had to give a prayer in flight, but I did at that moment. NEVER will I let someone fly me into a cell like that again. I'd rather physically take the controls and lose my job after landing for doing it then risk going into a cell again. That should tell you how bad that occurrence was. I thought 100% I was going to die that day.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Worst weather I got into was in a little Phenom 100 jet. I had flown left seat for 8 years previously then did right seat at a 135 gig for a year. During that year, I saw numerous cringeworthy flying from inexperienced jr guys. During a trip, after heavy suggestions of not entering wx up ahead, the PIC entered anyway. In the 17,000 hours I've accumulated, I've scared myself a handful of times either thru turbulence(descending into PSP at night in the EMB-120 entering unforecasted severe/borderline extreme turbulence) or some type of weather occurrence, but that flight into that cell had scared me like no other. I seriously thought we were gonna break up in flight. No joke. Never have I had to give a prayer in flight, but I did at that moment. NEVER will I let someone fly me into a cell like that again. I'd rather physically take the controls and lose my job after landing for doing it then risk going into a cell again. That should tell you how bad that occurrence was. I thought 100% I was going to die that day.

Was that PIC so set on entering the cell? Deviating a little left or right wouldn’t have hurt him. I just don’t understand some people.

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
Was that PIC so set on entering the cell? Deviating a little left or right wouldn’t have hurt him. I just don’t understand some people.
Some PIC's young and think they shouldn't be challenged on anything as they are the PIC aka GOD. Questioning or suggesting anything to them is taken an as an insult and they now must show the FO they are right and in power. Sadly some of the asshats are in the majors as well....

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Some PIC's young and think they shouldn't be challenged on anything as they are the PIC aka GOD. Questioning or suggesting anything to them is taken an as an insult and they now must show the FO they are right and in power. Sadly some of the asshats are in the majors as well....
What if I told you...that’s not restricted to young captains?

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
By no means am I saying this as speculation on this particular incident, but getting a deviation around weather isn't always as easy as it is in the US.

JeppUpdater

I’ve done of flying in and around Mexico the last six years and never had any problems getting deviations or altitude changes for weather (using clear and concise requests). That being said, XM weather craps out roughly around the border, and I’ve flown with some pilots who seriously struggled after losing that crutch.

CFI A&P

never had that problem in Mexico. If they don't give it to you just turn. There is no way I'm flying into a severe or extreme wx because a controller won't allow it....
Oh I agree on deviating anyway. I've never had an issue with a simple ten left or right for weather, but language barriers exist and if it is something a little more complicated then you might have to ask three or four times, or consider rephrasing your request to help the controller understand.

thevideographer

Lots of FOs think that because the captain is younger than them they suddenly get to run the show.

Cherokee_Cruiser

An a-hole like that should be called out. Thank god for flying for a Part 121 carrier. In my short time as a PIC, the FOs who have surprised me (in a bad way) are ex-corporate, first time 121 airline.

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich
An a-hole like that should be called out. Thank god for flying for a Part 121 carrier. In my short time as a PIC, the FOs who have surprised me (in a bad way) are ex-corporate, first time 121 airline.
I am first time 121 at our beloved Barbara Bush airlines, and I will scare you for totally different reasons than being ex-corporate when we fly together.

nimslow

121 isn't immune from those kinds of issues either. I've had to channel my inner captain Bligh a couple of times in recent memory. Both times were FO's with plenty of experience (prior 121 regional CA's) who were on the way to making really poor decisions in regards to weather, and weren't willing to listen to suggestions from the guy in the left seat.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously. If you follow the NTSB on Twitter, you’ll realize how true this is.
Agree. Just look at the NTSB website monthly accidents list. Pick any month of any year, and there's multiple accidents of aircraft all over the country on the same day. Not all will necessarily be fatal accidents, but many multiple occurances per day is quite common.

CFI A&P

Agree. Just look at the NTSB website monthly accidents list. Pick any month of any year, and there's multiple accidents of aircraft all over the country on the same day. Not all will necessarily be fatal accidents, but many multiple occurances per day is quite common.
You might already know this, but others probably don't know this site exists:

AIN Summary Page:::