• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Certified Flight Instructor Preparation Guide by James Kelly

rframe

pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Anybody read this?

I stumbled across it tonight when I stopped to pick up some new sectionals and approach plates. It's sort of a walk through from a former FAA Inspector who now focuses on training CFI candidates and he's explaining many of his perceptions of the problems with CFI certification both from the training side, the PTS side, and the FAA inspectors side, why the failure rate is so high, etc. I'm finding it really interesting and helpful.

grkero

fer yer health
Are you in Sacramento? I bought this same guide at the place I rent from at KSAC. Anyway... I bought that book before I went and did my CFI. I can tell you that it is the single most helpful book other than the typical FAA-8083 publications. Jim Kelly is a local guy in Sacramento and did such a great job with the format of that book.

Some things I found excessive as far as the strategy for tackling each TASK, but I took my checkride with a DPE, not an Inspector. From what I understand, DPE's can run checkrides a lot different than Inspectors. Inspectors typically roll through the complete PTS, TASK by TASK. In that case, following Kelly's book entirely is a good idea. I loaned the book out to some other guys doing their CFI the month before me, and they couldn't thank me enough for letting them borrow it.

rframe

pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Are you in Sacramento? I bought this same guide at the place I rent from at KSAC. Anyway... I bought that book before I went and did my CFI. I can tell you that it is the single most helpful book other than the typical FAA-8083 publications. Jim Kelly is a local guy in Sacramento and did such a great job with the format of that book.

Some things I found excessive as far as the strategy for tackling each TASK, but I took my checkride with a DPE, not an Inspector. From what I understand, DPE's can run checkrides a lot different than Inspectors. Inspectors typically roll through the complete PTS, TASK by TASK. In that case, following Kelly's book entirely is a good idea. I loaned the book out to some other guys doing their CFI the month before me, and they couldn't thank me enough for letting them borrow it.
No, I bought my copy in Spokane, WA. I bought it on a whim from a local pilot supply shop. A quick search of the interwebs shows it's not a book carried by Amazon or Sporty's, but MarvGolden carries it.

I wish I had found the book a month ago when I was trying to understand how I should even go about preparing for the CFI and how to approach creating the binder and lesson plans. His advice in the book is making things come together and actually make sense. If you run into Jim, since he's local, extend my thanks for the book.

kevmor99

I used it throughout my CFI training and took the binder I created for each task with me to the checkride. After doing a few lesson plans this style (based off the PTS tasks), you get he hang of it, and I plan to do my CFII the same way.

CoffeeIcePapers

Well-Hung Member
DPEs have to develop a POA (Plan of Action) that is based on the PTS and they have to cover all of the required items in the PTS, just like an FAA Inspector.

rframe

pǝʇɹǝʌuı
The Gleim book, was very useful to me. I havnt seen the book you are speaking of.
The Gleim "Flight Instructor Flight Maneuvers" book? I have that one too and it's very good. The book by Jim does provide sample outlines for the areas and tasks but includes more narrative, what he's seen as an inspector with good and bad examples, talks about how FAA inspectors have a very different perspective than the typical pilot/instructor and how that comes into play during the check ride, how the FAA provides very little training to inspectors on how to conduct a check ride which is one contributing factor to the reason that CFI rides are very inconsistent between different inspectors, and he talks about what his personal preferences were when conducting check rides.

grkero

fer yer health
DPEs have to develop a POA (Plan of Action) that is based on the PTS and they have to cover all of the required items in the PTS, just like an FAA Inspector.
I understand that. The DPE I had for my initial had some interesting methods and requirements of knowledge in obscure areas, mainly to make me stress out, but way different than the experience people have had with Inspectors, as I understood. Of course you cover the required PTS tasks, but sometimes a unique approach may be appropriate for different examiners. Just depends if you know something about the examiner.

I think my original point wasn't necessary. What I should have said was following Jim Kelly's recommendation is pretty fail-safe in any condition. It just might take longer to explain something because his recommendations for some tasks are very lengthy.

Hey everybody. I’ve been looking for that book my old cfi talked about it. I’ve been trying to find a copy before I get my CFI. I’ll appreciate any help. Thanks

Yes, thanks much for the link to the .pdf. I ran across this thread yesterday and am now reading through the document, planning to reorganize my materials accordingly.