Certifications

Kankles32

Dispatcher
I have my Dispatcher liscense and am currently working for a 135 Charter. I’m considering getting my PPL.
Will having my PPL and Dispatcher cert help me in my career in aviation? How can these two benefit me?

cptruski

I've never seen a PPL be listed as a requirement for a dispatch job; usually it's listed under "preferred". With that said, it will definitely make you stand out when a recruiter has thousands of other external applicants. However, getting your PPL exclusively for dispatch is not cost effective IMHO. Get your PPL because YOU want it, not what it might look like to a recruiter/hiring manager.

Shock-Diamonds

I'd say no on the PPL. My best advice for your career? Apply to every 121 you can find, and move to where ever you have to. If you ever want to work for a major and make the big money, they care about your 121 experience. Not to mention, you worked hard to get your DX license, get to 121 where you're actually using it! Just my opinion. ;)

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I'd say no on the PPL. My best advice for your career? Apply to every 121 you can find, and move to where ever you have to. If you ever want to work for a major and make the big money, they care about your 121 experience. Not to mention, you worked hard to get your DX license, get to 121 where you're actually using it! Just my opinion. ;)
Based on my twenty plus years of experience dispatching planes - this is very sound advice. Nothing wrong with getting your PPL, of course, but I wouldn't expect it to greatly help your chances of getting hired as a dispatcher.

QXDX

I have my Dispatcher liscense and am currently working for a 135 Charter. I’m considering getting my PPL.
Will having my PPL and Dispatcher cert help me in my career in aviation? How can these two benefit me?
Absolutely. With that body of knowledge, you could pursue a career in airport operations/management. Another avenue could be Part 121 training. I've known a few dispatchers who became ground school instructors for various airlines.

DispatchDan

Working on your PPL purely to help your dispatch career is a waste of time.
When you say "help your aviation career" you need to be more specific about what you want to do.

A320guy

Having a PPL or any pilot certificate is not required to become a dispatcher. Does it help. Yes, it makes you a better dispatcher as you are able to better understand the pilots perspective and what they are really asking of you. It also makes your resume stand out. (Ask any major dispatcher at least 50 percent have a PPL or more) Anyone that tells you otherwise is because they themselves have no flying experince so how would they know if it benefits you are not.

Scarebus

Having a PPL or any pilot certificate is not required to become a dispatcher. Does it help. Yes, it makes you a better dispatcher as you are able to better understand the pilots perspective and what they are really asking of you. It also makes your resume stand out. (Ask any major dispatcher at least 50 percent have a PPL or more) Anyone that tells you otherwise is because they themselves have no flying experince so how would they know if it benefits you are not.
I have my PPL and it hasn't helped me dispatch. I learned about Part 91 and how to adjust the air-fuel mixture in a C172 but everything else I already knew from my experience as a dispatcher . I was able to understand their perspective just as well as I could after obtaining my PPL.

DispatchDan

I disagree, maybe instrument rating but not PPL. Not sure which major airline are you talking about where at least 50 percent of dispatchers have PPL but thats not true for every major airline. Also looking at the day to day dispatching, understanding of A&P is way more helpful than having a PPL.

A320guy

This job is very competitive especially at the majors, do anythig you can to make your resume stand out. Period.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
(Ask any major dispatcher at least 50 percent have a PPL or more) Anyone that tells you otherwise is because they themselves have no flying experince so how would they know if it benefits you are not.
I’ve never been involved in the hiring process, but what I have heard is that it may benefit you initially for getting hired at a regional when you don’t have experience yet - when it comes to getting hired by a major, they would rather see Part 121 dispatching experience more than a bunch of ratings. Having too many ratings can make some carriers leery of hiring you as a dispatcher, if they think your ultimate goal is to become a professional pilot. Also, working at a major, I would say the “50 percent or more have a PPL or more” figure is not accurate...I haven’t done a formal survey of my co-workers but talking to them I think it’s more like 20 or 30 percent.

Scarebus

I disagree, maybe instrument rating but not PPL. Not sure which major airline are you talking about where at least 50 percent of dispatchers have PPL but thats not true for every major airline. Also looking at the day to day dispatching, understanding of A&P is way more helpful than having a PPL.
Exactly my thoughts. With my PPL I’ve never shot CAT III approaches on contaminated runways before or experienced extreme CAT/mountain wave at FL380. For those kinds of things you don’t need to have experienced it to understand their wanting more fuel or whatever.

Bottom line is flying a C172 under Part 91 rules does not make you a better or more knowledgeable Part 121 dispatcher. Could it make someone stand out during the HR phase? Sure. Will it give you a leg up against the 100+ others that made it to the interview with you? No.

DispatchDan

It would be much easier to answer this is the OP specified what his goal is in aviation. If it is becoming a dispatchers at one of the majors then my advice is to get a job at a regional and get that 121 experience. Working at a 135 is ok, but next step would be moving to a 121 rather then getting a PPL