Certificate Obtained.

WiskatoPilot

Outgoing Introvert
Just recently finished up my Dispatch Certification course with the passing of my oral examination (It was a breeze!). However, my excitement is clouded with worry over the lack of apparent work in the field at the moment. Any advice or guidance moving forward? Currently submitting applications anywhere and everywhere.

ATLiens

Just recently finished up my Dispatch Certification course with the passing of my oral examination (It was a breeze!). However, my excitement is clouded with worry over the lack of apparent work in the field at the moment. Any advice or guidance moving forward? Currently submitting applications anywhere and everywhere.
I wish I could make you feel better but the chances of you finding work with a commercial airline in the near future are slim to none. But maybe you can get on with charter operation. Good luck to you. Even those type of jobs are going to become very competitive in oct. If worst comes to worst at least you have the certificate and once a vaccine or medical treatment is available things will hopefully rebound quickly but that’s being optimistic.

Eskhobbs

Congratulations on your cert. While not many 121 carriers are hiring right now, I'm still seeing plenty of entry level 135/91 jobs being posted. Just depends on what route you want to take and where you want to end up. Best of luck!

Amerijet - Recruitment

Southern airways express - https://www.simplyhired.com/job/3C-mEao74igse1ScyM0RnKhj5I0xuSJuY4948ZapeIf051VwEiJk0g

Alaska central express - https://www.simplyhired.com/job/o5b7SusOzdbktMjrHtpgx00aFIX6aU6OGjhekQQfShawp8yae6b4vQ

Shoreline aviation - https://www.simplyhired.com/job/82KtgiTlO0GNJpZp6FwYiS_7G347IV16bKbZtQIS7Kl5Sr_V0CCVyA

WiskatoPilot

Outgoing Introvert
While not many 121 carriers are hiring right now, I'm still seeing plenty of entry level 135/91 jobs being posted. Just depends on what route you want to take and where you want to end up.
If my long term goal is to dispatch for a major, would it be worth my years to go to a charter/91 type op or should I take the opportunity at a 121 if given?

Luigi

If my long term goal is to dispatch for a major, would it be worth my years to go to a charter/91 type op or should I take the opportunity at a 121 if given?
Well I think what other people are saying is right now you won’t find a 121. Take any opportunity. Go work 91/135 if any is hiring. Learn some new skills. And maybe with a little bit of luck you can be in the first new hire class at the next airline.

Be prepared to jump ship to 121 as soon as hiring picks up again.

Dx81

Absolutely worth it to take any job you can when you first start out. If you can get a 121 job, then do it. Don't pass on any type of opertational experience. When things do get back to normal, that experience will pay off. You will have a leg up on everyone else that passed on those jobs. Majors look for dispatch experience, but they also look for overall operations experience. Do everything you can to fill out your resume. Work towards management and training positions within your department. Safety department positions are a plus as well. Your experience should be well rounded. Part 91, 135, and 121 Supplemental are great experience that will help you achieve your goal of working at a major.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

A-9er

Well I think what other people are saying is right now you won’t find a 121. Take any opportunity. Go work 91/135 if any is hiring. Learn some new skills. And maybe with a little bit of luck you can be in the first new hire class at the next airline.

Be prepared to jump ship to 121 as soon as hiring picks up again.
QFT!

Mainline_or_bust

Airplanes fly on PFM, Change my mind
Another option is to try and get a job at a place like FedEx and get hired internally to dispatch for them. A lot of people have done that, I think it's the way they hire most of their dispatchers.
Great advice for FedEx I think they hire from within about 95% or more of the time.
This probably would be bad advice though for UPS. Just wanted to put that out there. UPS has had great luck recently hiring from outside with 2 years or more 121 experience and that trend probably will continue.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Great advice for FedEx I think they hire from within about 95% or more of the time.
This probably would be bad advice though for UPS. Just wanted to put that out there. UPS has had great luck recently hiring from outside with 2 years or more 121 experience and that trend probably will continue.
Yeah I know that it used to be fairly common for people to get a job at Pinnacle, get a part-time gig at FedEx, and then get hired internally when a FedEx dispatch position opened up - those applicants had a leg up on the competition because they were both internal and also were getting 121 experience at Pinnacle. Of course, this is no longer an option since Pinnacle moved to MSP and I'm not aware of any other regionals in the MEM or SDF area. It *might* be possible to get a part-time job at UPS or FedEx (anywhere in the country) while working at a regional to get yourself an "in" that way, but I think you are right about UPS - they seem to care more about 121 experience right now than if you are already an employee for them.

Katerina

Another option is to try and get a job at a place like FedEx and get hired internally to dispatch for them. A lot of people have done that, I think it's the way they hire most of their dispatchers.
Hi!
It's probably a silly question, but does it matter what position would that be?
Should it be in aviation field only or any job will do?

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I think pretty much any position would do at FedEx - my understanding is that the Pinnacle guys threw boxes part time. However if you were able to get hired in their NOC as a crew scheduler or something like that it would be ideal since that way you'd get to know people that work as dispatchers and do the hiring for that department.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
I think pretty much any position would do at FedEx - my understanding is that the Pinnacle guys threw boxes part time. However if you were able to get hired in their NOC as a crew scheduler or something like that it would be ideal since that way you'd get to know people that work as dispatchers and do the hiring for that department.
It was my understanding of it, and I may be wrong, that throwing boxes at the airport and working in their GOC would give you a better chance than working at your local fedex store.

paincorp

My understanding is it has to be the Express subsidiary as opposed to Ground, On Time Critical, etc. I know someone who *was* throwing boxes there with no dispatch experience and was told they wanted him to put in some time in the aviation side of the house before considering him for dispatch, so definitely the crew scheduling route or even Ops at a hub/station would be best.

CF34-3B1

Most airlines have a non-compete clause that would prevent one from dispatching at a 121 while also working for the express side since it would *technically* be a conflict of interest. Although I personally don’t see the big deal. If you want to get out there and bust your a$$ working two jobs trying to get on there I say have at it. But I would check with your current carrier before doing something like that to be sure

Mainline_or_bust

Airplanes fly on PFM, Change my mind
Most airlines have a non-compete clause that would prevent one from dispatching at a 121 while also working for the express side since it would *technically* be a conflict of interest. Although I personally don’t see the big deal. If you want to get out there and bust your a$$ working two jobs trying to get on there I say have at it. But I would check with your current carrier before doing something like that to be sure
Any of that would suck, “not only do we want you to work for terrible pay but we’re also doing our best to limit any additional work outside the company to drive through.”