1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cathay Cadet Program

Discussion in 'Expatriate Aviation' started by chris, Jun 19, 2009.

1. DetPilot

DetPilot Well-Known Member

I was flight instructing and had about 1400 hours. The other guy interviewing with me didn't have his commercial yet. They care more about your education than they do about your flight ratings. Even with 1400 hours I was still going to have to go through training for all the ratings again to their standards. Btw, I looked at the handout they gave us and it is actually around $80,000/ year INCLUDING the housing allowance.

2. cmhumphr

cmhumphr Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the more experience you have, the more they'll expect you to know. I believe folks with an ATP have to do two interviews and a 747 sim eval.

3. Whatusername

Whatusername Drive hard and NEVER lift.

Is is ok if I shoot a PM later in the week? I have a ton of questions about this.

4. Papoo

Papoo Polar 1.

Feel free to PM me on this subject, if you wish. I can give you my insight throughout the entire selection & training process.

5. heeha

heeha New Member

6. Minima-No-Contact

Minima-No-Contact Well-Known Member

Some good info here regarding the new scheme.
    I can see how tempting it must be for alot of young guys looking to get into a major airline and fly some heavy jets. However, dont be misguided with what you read about HKG being affordable, and comparing it to $US will definitely lead you astray.
    HKG is expensive. If you want to eat & live like a local, sure, you can. That will be cheap. However, if you want to keep a lifestyle that resembles your 'normal' way of life as closely as possible - expect to pay for it.

If you are serious about CX, come and visit HKG first. Spend a bit of time eating and drinking with the expats, then go and eat and drink with the locals in the 'affordable' areas, and picture yourself doing that for the next 8+ yrs to see if you can handle it. How will your Wife and kids feel about living in 500sq/ft?
    For potential candidates considering joining on the new scheme, I always ask them how they will feel when they are sitting next to a former SO that joined on a package worth more than double, and whether or not this will bother them. CX pays off their HK$4million unit in under 5yrs, whilst you are making HK$10,000/month in 'housing'...

Dont get me wrong, I love the job and the flying. Generally a great bunch of guys to go to work with and plenty of time off.

If you can see this new scheme as a 4-6yr stepping stone to something better, go for it. Career wise, its sad to see the package heading this way...

7. rkfly11

rkfly11 New Member

You send in a cover letter with your app mentioning how you would love to fly that big plane for free and never desire anything more than to live in the Hong Kong projects and eat their version of ramen noodles... i think you might have a shot.

8. HVYMETALDRVR

HVYMETALDRVR Well-Known Member

Little piece of friendly advice... Flying ALONE cannot make you so happy that nothing else in life matters, it simply supplements a well-rounded life of a close family, good friends, and some good and fun hobbies and activities outside of work. Just keep that in mind when your applying for an airline job, and if you don't believe me. Ask anyone that works as an airline pilot...

Good luck!

9. cmhumphr

Best advice ever Heavy Metal Driver, only because it's so true.

10. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

+1 million?

11. cmhumphr

:clap:

12. scramjet

scramjet Well-Known Member

I'm not even an airline pilot yet and I really agree with that advice. Work is by far not everything.

13. HVYMETALDRVR

HVYMETALDRVR Well-Known Member

Just sharing what has been passed on to me :)

14. Bajan Hopeful

Bajan Hopeful Well-Known Member

System Error

The online application system is currently unavailable, please update your application information later.
    If you need further assistance, please contact our eService Centre at +852 2747 2200 or send an email toeservice@cathaypacific.com. (1099)

Does this message mean they are still processing the old application? Just curious...

15. Brazilian_Pilot

Brazilian_Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not an airline pilot yet but I agree 100% there is so much more to life than just thinking about airplanes!

16. knma'91

knma'91 Well-Known Member

I am getting the same thing, applied in 2009. Sent them an email about 2 months ago and still nothing.

17. Thunder-Robo

Thunder-Robo Well-Known Member

Hey Guys, just got this a few hours ago... And no, this isn't a April fools joke!

18. FlyByWire22

FlyByWire22 Well-Known Member

Congrats!! Been looking at this as a possible option for a few years down the road. If you don't mind me asking, what were your times? And Good Luck!

19. Thunder-Robo

Thunder-Robo Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I think I had 220hr - Muti / ifr Commercial when I applied. Currently a JR here at UND, and am a Canadian Citizen holding a Hong Kong permeant residence card.

I applied sometime in the fall of 2011.

Hope this helps!
    d

HVYMETALDRVR likes this.
  20. FlyByWire22

FlyByWire22 Well-Known Member

Very cool! I wish you well!