Career Advice. Should I Stay Or Should I Go!

QXDX

It worked for at least 15 people I have worked with over the last 4 years.. all external hires into dispatch. Most straight from a regional. A couple were at the same regional then on to another airline, then Delta. It’s certainly difficult, and yeah a lot of people don’t make it there but having a goal of getting hired by Delta and sticking to it does work out for some. It’s just kind of an all or nothing gamble. But so is staying there in a capacity other than dispatch, hoping to get hired into dispatch. It may work, it may not.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.
15 dispatchers out of how many? 400? 500?
How many out of the hundreds or thousands of Dispatchers that Delta has employed over the years? Yes there are always the exceptions, but that does not seem a strong foundation on which to build a career path.

The historical reality is that the vast majority of Delta Dispatchers are internal hires. Maybe that will change. But again, do you want to base a career plan on that?

LX Sport

I think the real question, for those who decide to stick with the internal route, is are you willing to end up in a non-dispatch career if you dont get past the tests. Being internal, you probably do have a better chance at getting to take the tests, but it doesnt give you better odds of passing those tests. And if you end up failing them, are you ok with working in another department? Or are you dead-set on dispatch. Waiting, possibly for years, for a chance to only fail, could put you in a poor situation if dispatch is your end game.

Just something to think about.

CF34-3B1

15 dispatchers out of how many? 400? 500?
How many out of the hundreds or thousands of Dispatchers that Delta has employed over the years? Yes there are always the exceptions, but that does not seem a strong foundation on which to build a career path.

The historical reality is that the vast majority of Delta Dispatchers are internal hires. Maybe that will change. But again, do you want to base a career plan on that?
All I’m saying here is that just because the only 3 people you know that got hired there didn’t have that as a goal doesn’t mean having that as a goal is a bad idea. Yeah my example might represent a small percentage of the overall success rate but from 1 regional in the last 4 years at least 15 of them have gone to Delta.

Additionally, most if not all of the majors like to hire a mix of internals and externals if not mostly internals. If every regional dispatcher had listened to your positive advice before signing on with joshmo RJ Airlines we’d have a ton of people who are great at rerouting captains and tracking batteries in the parts department all sitting around waiting for one of the majors to extend their glory to them and nobody would have any actual dispatch experience to build on.

While one might have a slightly better chance at getting into dispatch at Delta by getting hired in some other capacity, the reality is it is almost just as difficult that way too, just as LX Sport points out.

Lastly, it doesn’t matter what I want to base my career plan on because my career plan seems to have worked out for me. I’m more or less just trying to give some positivity here to those that are Delta or bust. Yeah it’s good that they know the good, bad, and ugly. Yeah they need to realize that they are severely limiting their options and they have to accept they may not ever make it. But saying that because you know a whole 3 people there and they all just kinda fell into dispatch so setting that as a goal is unrealistic is a little closed minded and quite negative in my opinion.

kawaii_boner

I think the real question, for those who decide to stick with the internal route, is are you willing to end up in a non-dispatch career if you dont get past the tests. Being internal, you probably do have a better chance at getting to take the tests, but it doesnt give you better odds of passing those tests. And if you end up failing them, are you ok with working in another department? Or are you dead-set on dispatch. Waiting, possibly for years, for a chance to only fail, could put you in a poor situation if dispatch is your end game.

Just something to think about.

I think you raise a very good point here. I think for me I would be happy to work anywhere in flight operations at a major airline. The benefits are incredible, the pay is well above average, and flight privileges are unmatched. While the end goal would be to be a dispatcher, I would be happy while waiting for a position to open. Furthermore, I think having a dispatcher certificate and a PPL with instrument rating would give me an advantage to move into flight operations (I currently work in techops). And while that’s not a the same department, I would at least be in the same room with the dispatchers. And that would be a major leg up for future career advancement