Caravan.....not even sure how this happened

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
So for those of you who haven't flown a Caravan, let me describe how hard this is.

The van, fully loaded, can do 160 to short final, say the end of an ALSF II... pull the power back, pitch up, fwaaaank on the prop, and be in flap range by, say, the middle bars on a MALSR... about a thousand feet from the threshold. From there, it's like you have dive brakes out, and you can just kinda drop out of the sky, touch down on the numbers and be off in a thousand feet and change, without touching the brakes or using reverse.

This accident reminds me of this video:

'Cause it takes skill.

(NB. Fly the plane you're in. Fly a caravan like a caravan, fly a jet like a jet. Bleh.)

-Fox
I’m wondering if the usual base to the end of the runway setup for landing led to the unstable approach. Most speedbuggy pilots were ok. There were some that flew it like they only had boxes aboard.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
So for those of you who haven't flown a Caravan, let me describe how hard this is.

The van, fully loaded, can do 160 to short final, say the end of an ALSF II... pull the power back, pitch up, fwaaaank on the prop, and be in flap range by, say, the middle bars on a MALSR... about a thousand feet from the threshold. From there, it's like you have dive brakes out, and you can just kinda drop out of the sky, touch down on the numbers and be off in a thousand feet and change, without touching the brakes or using reverse.

This accident reminds me of this video:

'Cause it takes skill.

(NB. Fly the plane you're in. Fly a caravan like a caravan, fly a jet like a jet. Bleh.)

-Fox
Standard "well...how...what..." etc.

Kimo

“Another Mokulele pilot was on the plane at the time, too. He said he did not hear or smell the brakes locking up and said no skid marks were on the runway afterward.“

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Someone going out of their way to comply with some ridiculous, non specific company policy typically doesn’t end well. Especially if they’re militant about it.
I missed going to get USS RUNWAY OVERRUN from Pellston, MI one fine winter by one number. Lucky me.

Nark

Sheepdog
Way back, and I mean way back, I was told fuel is cheap, but brake pads aren’t. So use reverse thrust and not the brakes.

Well, after owning and operating a STOL airplane for a while now, I stand on the brakes, often. There isn’t an early turn I can’t make at the local Aerodrome. I have yet to replace the liners (pads). @Roger Roger how often did you replace the big Six’s?
Point being: there is a system designed for that aircraft. Use it.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Way back, and I mean way back, I was told fuel is cheap, but brake pads aren’t. So use reverse thrust and not the brakes.

Well, after owning and operating a STOL airplane for a while now, I stand on the brakes, often. There isn’t an early turn I can’t make at the local Aerodrome. I have yet to replace the liners (pads). @Roger Roger how often did you replace the big Six’s?
Point being: there is a system designed for that aircraft. Use it.
I’ve seen way more money wasted on brakes because mechanics wanted to change them “because they’re getting worn” (translation: I want to milk a brake job instead of doing some work that requires real skill or brainpower) when they had lots of life left than from anything pilots ever did.

Pilot Fighter

If this is a competition, CAP plays for keeps. Last year CAP went off the end of the runway and through the perimeter fence at Outlaw Field in Clarksville, Tennessee...in a C-182.