Can’t wait to hear pilot comments on this one...

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Thought it was pretty crass that he talked about how “excited” he was to review this accident, and how he hoped everyone “enjoyed” watching it.

And why does he speak in shouts?

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Thought it was pretty crass that he talked about how “excited” he was to review this accident, and how he hoped everyone “enjoyed” watching it.

And why does he speak in shouts?
The fauxhawk (or horrible, horrible injury, I can't tell which) is a natural amplifier of sound.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Slightly depressing. Schappert normally makes pretty good training content. Guy seems to be a solid CFI from what I've been able to tell.

@Stone Cold - Delivery is a little bit shrill, but he does make some pretty interesting observations about the entire scenario.

Last edited:

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I used to try to make people uncomfortable by looking at the top of their forehead when speaking to them because I think it's funny. I'm not sure I could ever look at that guy in the face with that haircut, I'd be mesmerized and confused, why is this rooster shouting at me? I can't fault that video, it's a pretty good lesson for anyone either training for a PPL, or maybe more importantly the times just after you've been granted permission to operate an airplane.

Stone Cold

Slightly depressing. Schappert normally makes pretty good training content. Guy seems to be a solid CFI from what I've been able to tell.

@Stone Cold - Delivery is a little bit shrill, but he does make some pretty interesting observations about the entire scenario.
Oh, I honestly have no clue what he said...I really did only last about 5 seconds into the video, so I was asking for a summary. His voice, to me, was like nails on a chalkboard. Nothing against the guy or his message, I just have better things to do than listen to a voice that annoys me. Call it a flaw in me, as it is. If it was work related, I could make it through it, but yeah, for off time relaxation, I have no desire to put myself through that. ;)

SeanD

Wasn’t this basically a case of “hurry up and get there” at night, over water without an instrument rating? I can’t think of too many ways this would have turned out good.

Stone Cold

Wasn’t this basically a case of “hurry up and get there” at night, over water without an instrument rating? I can’t think of too many ways this would have turned out good.
That's why I asked what I did. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about for 33 minutes. From what I remember, it was an invincible Kennedy flying where he shouldn't have been. The weather was horrible that night.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
That's why I asked what I did. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about for 33 minutes. From what I remember, it was an invincible Kennedy flying where he shouldn't have been. The weather was horrible that night.
Those are the broad strokes. What Schappert does over the course of the video (and I'll concede that he could written his script with more brevity in mind) were the building blocks of the accident chain, the Hazardous Attitudes (he cites Macho, but I'd make an argument for Invulnerability, too) the lack of Wx briefing, refusal to accept an offer from a CFI to accompany (I don't like how Schappert characterized that, either, but that's a minor personal gripe) operating with an injured ankle (rudder control) and multiple opportunities that JFK passed up where he could have diverted.

He uses multiple stages of the flight as object lessons in how these things can happen to seasoned pilots, and how pressures and get-there-itis can mount.

And how ego can get you killed. (my words, not his.)

To me, it's a worthy context to string together multiple things that pilots are taught in a way that shows how they logically flow - briefings, IM SAFE, PAVE, ADM....

Also - for what it's worth - there's bit toward the end where Schappert is speaking in a more normal tone of voice, and it's clear in the video that he's mic'd, so I'm wondering if the shrillness/cadence of his voice is a quirk of his presentation style. I still like the guy's work and think he's got a good mindset to flying, but that's just me.

MidlifeFlyer

With the number of untimely Kennedy deaths (not to mention other events leaving to the term "Kennedy Curse") beginning with Joseph Jr shot down in WW II, in incidents ranging from skiing to drug overdose to assassination, I personally don't think invulnerability was a big issue on this one.
More like a particularly unhealthy case of get-thereitis coupled with distractions in the cockpit.