Canada turns in to a silent auction venue for airlines

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
This week has been almost fictional in how it has played out for the airline industry in Canada.

This passed Monday, WestJet is to be bought for $5 billion and taken private by Onex corporation. God knows what will happen there since Onex wanted to merge Air Canada and Canadian back in the day and sell off parts of them.

And today, Air Canada announced it plans on buying Air Transat. Considering Transat has about 25% of the overseas and carribbean markets (from Canada), its not a small offer to pass up. AC does want more A330s and Transat has some.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Problem is in Canada, consolidation already led to what Air Canada is today. Now Air Transat? WestJet and the new Air Canada will control what, like 95%+ of the inter-Canadian traffic? Yes you have some other smaller Canadian carriers like Canadian North and Bearskin, but they are very small niche carriers.

Does Canada have their version of the DOJ's AntiTrust division?

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
WestJet and the new Air Canada will control what, like 95%+ of the inter-Canadian traffic?
Yes. But to be fair they always mostly did anyways since Transats domestic flights were repositioning flights they sold tickets on as theyre in the charter game.

Yeah, its called the Competition Bureau and they could block the sale if they believed it would be unfair. I know it was 20 years ago now but considering they didnt block the merger of Canadian and Air Canada (at that time AC wouldve controlled about 99.9% of domestic traffic and 90% international), and that both AC and TS are headquartered in Quebec, Id say this is probably already over if Transat accepts the deal. Theres only room for two major scheduled service airlines up here.

Last edited:

z987k

Problem is in Canada, consolidation already led to what Air Canada is today. Now Air Transat? WestJet and the new Air Canada will control what, like 95%+ of the inter-Canadian traffic? Yes you have some other smaller Canadian carriers like Canadian North and Bearskin, but they are very small niche carriers.

Considering Canada's population is roughly 1/10th ours, I'd be surprised if more than 2 major carriers could make it.

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
You figgar it out, give your balls a tug.

Easily the best series on TV right now.
So funny story, the other week couple of my buddies who work at the local bike shop (who are also huge Letterkenny fans) are installing a car rack out in the parking lot. I pull up in my slightly beat 4Runner and yell in my best Shoresy voice, "give yer balls a tug you beep-beepers" (can't say the rest on JC)

We all had a good laugh, then I noticed a nice lady in a Prius next to them with her windows down and likely not amused. Classy moment. Pitter patter.