Calling A319/320/321 pilots

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The problem with a pilot trying to “Build the airplane“ is that most of your manuals are heavily simplified “logic” flowcharts of how a system (sort of) works and it’s especially bad on the Airbus products. A lot of things are bussed together so when you lose something like the LGICU, the books talk about reverting to the other LGICU but in all honesty, you’ve lost FAR MORE capabilities than you think you have and STFU and pull out the book.

”Oh, that’s just a...”

”STFU, run the ECAM, pull out the QRH”

///AMG

Thanks for the responses (and PM). Not getting typed, just taking my ATP practical in the 320 sim, so no real “company guidance” so to speak of. I’m used to verbatim imm action procedures, but the confusing part I guess is stuff like “EGPWS” or “TCAS” warnings, stall recovery, stall warning at lift off.....none of those say anything about memory or immediate action, and they (mostly) are all long and rambling with like 2 actual actions. TCAS written procedure, for instance, is 2 things that don’t actually involve reacting to the RA or avoiding a midair. To get to that, you would have to memorize about 3 paragraphs of stuff. Our longest boldface is like 7 steps, with a small bit of wording between a couple steps, and it takes 10-15 seconds to recite. Concur that this is not the biggest of my concerns, but thinking back to flight school, not knowing boldface was pretty much an auto fail.....don’t want to show up under prepared in that department I guess

Cherokee_Cruiser

What’s your TCAS?

AP off, FDs off, avoid red and go into green, notify ATC.

When AP off, get both FDs off, because all sorts of fun stuff can happen in a fixed thrust setting if you turn off only 1 FD and the other FD is still on.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Yeah some of our planes have the TCAS armed in blue and the plane could maneuver but to keep a uniform policy, all TCAS avoidance must be handflown. Just like the soft go around feature of the A321neo. Since only these types have it, and not the 319/320, we can’t utilize that feature. One uniform policy for all 3 fleets.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Thanks for the responses (and PM). Not getting typed, just taking my ATP practical in the 320 sim, so no real “company guidance” so to speak of. I’m used to verbatim imm action procedures, but the confusing part I guess is stuff like “EGPWS” or “TCAS” warnings, stall recovery, stall warning at lift off.....none of those say anything about memory or immediate action, and they (mostly) are all long and rambling with like 2 actual actions. TCAS written procedure, for instance, is 2 things that don’t actually involve reacting to the RA or avoiding a midair. To get to that, you would have to memorize about 3 paragraphs of stuff. Our longest boldface is like 7 steps, with a small bit of wording between a couple steps, and it takes 10-15 seconds to recite. Concur that this is not the biggest of my concerns, but thinking back to flight school, not knowing boldface was pretty much an auto fail.....don’t want to show up under prepared in that department I guess
Do what you gotta to be comfortable. Airlines are just different than military training. I've watched two groups of classmates struggle with the differences and I've learned I'm not good at translating.

When you get to talking ground ramp and iceman I found a good way to explain it with pictures. No kidding.

///AMG

What’s your TCAS?

AP off, FDs off, avoid red and go into green, notify ATC.

When AP off, get both FDs off, because all sorts of fun stuff can happen in a fixed thrust setting if you turn off only 1 FD and the other FD is still on.
Cool, yeah that is the same. If that is how you would say it in a check, that's good enough for me. AP-OFF, FD's-OFF is easy, its the other 5 paragraphs of very verbose discussion of what to do next that would be a challenge to memorize verbatim, though easy to summarize in order in my own words. In short, all I'm trying to figure out is what portion of those QRH pages I would need to say verbatim, and what portions (if any) I could just talk through if queried about memory items. BRAKE FAILURE and UNRELIABLE SPEED/ALTITUDE INDICATIONS are straightforward, the rest not as much, at least to my simple brain. I don't think I am communicating my question very clearly.......clearly :)

Thanks guys!

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Our 321 fleet has it. Kind of creepy to watch it do its thing... but way less work and room for error than having guys hand fly an escape maneuver.
It has been loaded into the sim I had for CQ, pretty trippy.

I wish more airplanes had that. The worst RA I had was when some yokel admitted that he didn’t follow the guidance because he “had us on the ’feeesh findah’” and kept climbing. He saw the wrong airplane.