caa/jaa licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello, I am a Portuguese citizen considering flight training in the US.
I would not mind staying there and working for 3-4 years, and then coming home and trying to land a job at TAP, our airline.
I am not too sure about being able to get a working visa for the states, and so today I was told to consider a Caa training program in the states.
How does this caa rating compare with the European Jaa rating? How does this work-part time in the UK, part in US?
What are sugestions about training in Europe or US?
Also anybody know what licenses are needed to fly for african or asian airlines?(Just in case I could not get a job with a US or EURO airline/carrier...
Thanks, sorry about long post-Pedro

I_Money

Just want to clarify something before I answer your question, you have said the CAA I am under the impression you mean the FAA which the US Federal Aviation Authority. The CAA is the old British one (which has been replaced by the JAA) and it might also be the abbreviation used to the Canadian one. If I am wrong in my assumption please explain which one you mean and I will try again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I would not mind staying there and working for 3-4 years, and then coming home and trying to land a job at TAP, our airline.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This unfortunately does not work out very well as the convertion to JAA is quite tough! If you have over 800 TT (which you will if you have worked for 3-4 years) you have to take the ground school course (which includes about 13 tests), and do all the flight exams again! I have a friend doing this now and according to her it is very difficult!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>How does this caa rating compare with the European Jaa rating? How does this work-part time in the UK, part in US?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With your private you will be able to fly in both countries, after that you are looking at the convertion process again!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> What are sugestions about training in Europe or US?
Also anybody know what licenses are needed to fly for african or asian airlines?(Just in case I could not get a job with a US or EURO airline/carrier...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you goal is to fly for TAP I suggest doing you training in Europe. Although it is more expensive you will not have to worry about converting it. If I decide to stay in the UK, will be doing my training here.
About flying in other continents, if they are hiring foreign pilots they will hire you on your JAA or FAA license and take care of the license convertion, what that includes depends on the countries.

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, Ian!
I did in fact mean the caa-old british license, however I have figured out all the differences.
I am taking my jaa medical next week, and that will help me make a decision regarding europe or the US.(I have glasses and jaa is more rigid then FAA).
I will keep ya posted on developments.
I am however very scared that I will blow all my money, and then some and then I won´t be able to get a job.
I fugure it would be much easier in the states, but then I would need a work visa, which is very hard to get, also jaa to faa is easier to convert so for now europe seems like the best option.
$35.000USD Jaa private+commercial with instruments, and multiengine and a frozen airline pilot license with 192hrs-Is this expensive? Best regards.P

I_Money

To the best of my knowledge in Britian you are only able to get JAA licenses now.
Best of luck with your medical and about glasses if your prescription is not too strong you will be fine.
$35,000 USD's sounds quite reasonable, from looking in the backs of magazines in the UK is is about that sterling!

Status
Not open for further replies.