C172 vs Drone

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
Yikes... big or small airport? Curious. Most drones now won’t fly near larger airports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
Yeah a clean break like that doesn’t shout impact damage to me.
That’s either fatigue or Vibration. Blade on the other side looks pretty new still. More than a few cases of people whacking runways and still flying, but usually they get both props?

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
That appears to be a stress crack, possibly from not dressing the blade. It does happen occasionally.

z987k

This happened a couple of days ago. They were doing pattern work. Initially, they did not know they hit a drone. They landed and thought the propeller failed from the post landing inspection. After closer inspection, they realized they hit a drone.
Get a picture looking straight on at the blade failure where it separated, we can probably make a very educated guess what happened by the way the metal looks.
But we already know it wasn't a drone.

mrivc211

That’s either fatigue or Vibration. Blade on the other side looks pretty new still. More than a few cases of people whacking runways and still flying, but usually they get both props?

We initially thought it was prop failure. They think they found rust in the prop. The NTSB is doing its thing now