1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye bye Cuba

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by B200 Hawk, Jun 16, 2017.

1. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

Their passports say Cuba. But whatever

2. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member

Anecdotes aside, refugees leave their families to come here. Why wouldn't they want to go back to the only life they've ever known?

3. drunkenbeagle

In many cases, Cubans have as much family in Florida as they do in Cuba. And it isn't like you can't fly back there to visit.

4. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

My passport says Ireland on it. My other passport says United States. Having one doesn't exclude having the other. I still consider myself a US citizen.

5. matthew

Very true. But I still think Cubans would rather stay in their homeland and do away with the castros.

6. drunkenbeagle

There are lots of Cuban people, I'm sure they all have different opinions. I mean, I meet plenty of Americans that would rather stay in their homeland and do away with the Trumps. You can say that about anyplace.

7. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Sometimes it's like going to the barbershop and being asked something about aerodynamics. You give a reasoned answer with first hand experience but there's always that guy in the corner getting a 'shape up' that mumbles something about you being full of shizzle and overtalks you about what he's read, seen or assumed about the issue and is logically immoveable.

Even though you're a glider pilot, have a lot of experiene and probably know more about aerodynamics than the average powered airplane pilot.

None of that matters on the internet, unfortunately.

Me, I'd love to talk to your colleagues and hear about their perspective. I know, personally, that I've had plenty of debates with people who claim that "Well, Black America wants to (whatever)" and when I say, "Well, I'm American, and I'm black, and I know more people that fit the classification than the TV news-opinion pundit that made that declarative statement, but it's completely shallow and incorrect", well, the intellectual fight is on.

8. drunkenbeagle

Maybe I used to at one time. But I've been going to the same barbershop for 15 years, word got out regarding the airplane thing. They ask questions, I make stuff up now.

Derg likes this.
  9. Cptnchia

Well, there's the problem. Experience will always trump experiene.

10. Murdoughnut

Murdoughnut Well sized member

Bad social scientist too!

11. Murdoughnut

Murdoughnut Well sized member

Do you fly for an airline, and if so, which one? Just want to make sure my family is safe.

12. Cptnchia

Was this really necessary?

mastermags likes this.
  13. drunkenbeagle

BTW, when I lived abroad - despite having the local equivalent of a green card, no one considered me Dutch.

It is a big world out there. We share it with lots of expats of all types.

Derg and Screaming_Emu like this.
  14. drunkenbeagle

No, but as non sequiturs go - it was fair.

15. drunkenbeagle

Obama has exactly zero to do with this. But gender differences in pay are a real thing, on both a macro and micro level. Macro in that we have tax returns from women for, you know, the entire country. And examples of individual employers, like mine, that have settled lawsuits for systemically paying women less, and targeting them in layoffs.

16. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

That and Experiene has all kinds of side effects. Saw a commercial for it once.

17. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

I remember when I told XForces that I could live in Europe. Then he gave me the low down on how they'll slowly drive you crazy because when he lived there, they did just that.

18. Simo

Simo New Member

I really don't care. I would have liked to visit Cuba, but beyond that, it's an oppressive communist country that funneling any money into perpetuates that.

So pretty much so what. I ain't mad about it. We had little to no effect on their daily lives, and this will have no effect on ours.

Adler likes this.
  19. matthew

I'm not really sure the point you're trying to make but my americans comment was tongue-in-cheek. This forum is full of people who travel for a living. I think it's safe to assume were a pretty worldly group of folks. Knowing that, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that their knowledge on issues are reinforced by their life experiences. And I'm a young guy. Which is why I'm surprised to see so much minimizing in just the last couple pages.

20. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

You'd be surprised. My company flies literally all over the planet and I'm not sure I've ever met a more xenophobic group of people. Seeing the world one TGI Fridays at the time.

milleR likes this.