British Airways Pilot Strike

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
Don’t forget that in that insane market, BA is your best option.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
The entire European market for pilots is fuxxored beyond recognition.

Imagine a place where:

A) If you have military experience, they don't want you
B) If you have a jillion hours in a similar, but different type, they don't want you
C) They're content to put someone with 200 hours total time (mostly simulated) in the seat, when A & B are available
D) Have bizzare and incomprehensible airspace design where you can get dumped out of your IFR clearance without notice (UK I'm looking at you).

Pass.
It’s almost as if ab initio is a bad idea, with adequately experienced candidates available elsewhere.

Oh, right. Propel. Indentured servitude with a side of hat.

NickH

Dank Meme
It's also worth considering that hard money numbers don't entirely compare. In England you have zero cost healthcare, (but at that income level you'd probably choose very expensive private health insurance). There's also a very high cost of housing and a 20% sales tax... It's really not good in comparison...

citrus

Sound of the suburbs
Strike could cost $50 million a DAY meanwhile the difference between the parties is $6 million....:oops:

"The airline has offered pilots a pay increase of 11.5 per cent over three years but the union wants a bigger share of company profits."

Could it really be $6 million? $3 billion in annual profits, membership of less than 10,000 [BALPA figures] - I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between but I do agree with profit sharing model though.

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
"The airline has offered pilots a pay increase of 11.5 per cent over three years but the union wants a bigger share of company profits."

Could it really be $6 million? $3 billion in annual profits, membership of less than 10,000 [BALPA figures] - I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between but I do agree with profit sharing model though.
I believe the valuation was determined by the company also.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Due to the runway apocalypse at SFO, BA had (presumably) management pilots ferry the A380 over to OAK for parking since there are hundreds of cancelled flights daily at SFO and RON spots are needed badly. Today, I got to watch the A380 depart from OAK, do a low sweeping left turn right over downtown SF to join the downwind for 28R at SFO, and then make another sweeping turn to final and land. A 14 minute journey and neat to watch the whole thing. Must have been pretty damn cool in a huge jet that usually makes a few turns then cruises for 10+ hours, though they had close to a 2 hour sit for flow prior to departure.

1568179043398.png

BigZ

Haven't been to work today, but 99% sure I saw a Speedbird A380 climbing out of ORD

QXDX

Most top management is immune to such reason. It could be a 50 million or 100 million difference. It doesn't matter.

When it gets to that point, it becomes a Richard Dimensional Evaluation.
Same could be said for the pilots.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
This was on Sunday, so no clue if these fatties are still sitting over south of 10L in ORD.
07760F35-BDCA-4FB9-AF52-05CA07E7AA42.jpeg

A80TRACON

The Empire strikes back. According to an ex colleague all pilots involved lost their staff travel for 3 years. No company, no pilot bonus for this year. No access to overtime rate to pick up trips m, plus no chance to bid for a fleet change on long haul - for ever.
Interesting negotiations ahead.

"What makes this interesting as well is that many pilots commute to work (they don’t live where they’re based), and they rely on these benefits to get to & from work. The Sun suggests that even those benefits are suspended"

I don't take much stock, if any, in anything The Sun says, but if this is true this is super sucky.

Last edited:

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
The Empire strikes back. According to an ex colleague all pilots involved lost their staff travel for 3 years. No company, no pilot bonus for this year. No access to overtime rate to pick up trips m, plus no chance to bid for a fleet change on long haul - for ever.
What a bunch of phalli.

Skåning

If the company is gonna play those stupid games I think another strike is in order. Those guys took consessions when BA wasn’t doing well, now that they are, it’s time to get back what’s theirs.

z987k

"What makes this interesting as well is that many pilots commute to work (they don’t live where they’re based), and they rely on these benefits to get to & from work. The Sun suggests that even those benefits are suspended"

I don't take much stock, if any, in anything The Sun says, but if this is true this is super sucky.
This seems like BA digging their own grave. No jumpseating to work and no OT. Lol, good luck moving your airplanes.