British Airways Pilot Strike

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.

They are on strike for two days, then back to work, then on strike again on the 27th. Sort of an odd way to strike.

The canceled flights could affect as many as 145,000 passengers Monday, and in a lawsuit filed earlier this year the airline told a court the disruptions could cost it nearly $50 million a day. The union says that just over $6 million is what stands between the parties and an agreement.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”

NickH

Dank Meme
One day strikes are a fairly common way of striking in Europe. It costs the company a lot of money without the risk of a prolonged strike that causes significant financial hardship.

BigZ

They are on strike for two days, then back to work, then on strike again on the 27th. Sort of an odd way to strike.
There’s a Speedbird 747 and a A380 parked at ORD if anyone’s in the market for new rims or something

Cherokee_Cruiser

Meanwhile in America, the RLA ties our hands and we almost never get fully released into a 30 day cool off. Even if we do, a PEB would stop a strike once they deem it "too big to fail stop service."

The regional I was at the contract was 1999-2005 and we worked under that contract all the way through 2011 with nothing even close to full retro, just a measly "bonus" for signing a new contract.

I sure hope they can settle in a way that benefits the pilots. They stood by taking pay cuts and benefits being slashed when BA wasn’t doing so well. It’s only right that they should see increased wages and benefits now that they have helped BA get back on track.
Sir, sir... there will be none of that commonsense stuff spouted here in this thread.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
There’s a Speedbird 747 and a A380 parked at ORD if anyone’s in the market for new rims or something
Had a few friends spot some heavies parked in SEA and DEN as well. So, does the company give you a hotel when you're on strike on an overnight?! :p

JDean3204

I was checking out the pay rates/salaries of long haul BA pilots. Compared to US rates post concessionary contract, they are lagging by a wide margin. Majority of US First Officers make more than Captains at BA. Granted the conversion rate helps them a bit as far as a comparison in US dollars, but they live in the U.K. so that really doesn’t count.

SurferLucas

Southern Gentleman
I'm really, really F'in happy we made it out of LHR on Sunday thanks to Virgin Atlantic before that shhhheeeeeeeet show happen

But, good on the BA pilot's for standing up for themselves. I rode on BA last month and the FO had talked to me about the issues there, and I'm hopeful they get the raises they rightly deserve.

Richman

I was checking out the pay rates/salaries of long haul BA pilots. Compared to US rates post concessionary contract, they are lagging by a wide margin. Majority of US First Officers make more than Captains at BA. Granted the conversion rate helps them a bit as far as a comparison in US dollars, but they live in the U.K. so that really doesn’t count.
The entire European market for pilots is fuxxored beyond recognition.

Imagine a place where:

A) If you have military experience, they don't want you
B) If you have a jillion hours in a similar, but different type, they don't want you
C) They're content to put someone with 200 hours total time (mostly simulated) in the seat, when A & B are available
D) Have bizzare and incomprehensible airspace design where you can get dumped out of your IFR clearance without notice (UK I'm looking at you).

Pass.