Bose introduces competitor to Clarity Aloft & QT Halo.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
They might be out of warranty but they'll give you the full $400 I think it is on an old set of zulus towards the 3.
It’s not as much as $400, but yes, they’ll credit toward the 3. Probably going to spring for it this month, I gave the Bose a chance to make a second impression before spending the cash but they just don’t work for me.

amichael

I think the QC15/UFlyMike is the best Bose headset solution available. Way more comfortable than the X and A20, and more robust than the QC25/Harmony. But we don't wear headsets above 18 so I just use the ship's Telex.

Adler

Low-Level Individual
I think the QC15/UFlyMike is the best Bose headset solution available. Way more comfortable than the X and A20, and more robust than the QC25/Harmony. But we don't wear headsets above 18 so I just use the ship's Telex.
And absolutely miserable for the person next to you. I swear, all I ever hear is wind noise, and until the newest version the microphone never stayed properly placed so you had to boost the volume even higher. And that stupid green light on the side. I hate it so much.

Zondaracer

And absolutely miserable for the person next to you. I swear, all I ever hear is wind noise, and until the newest version the microphone never stayed properly placed so you had to boost the volume even higher. And that stupid green light on the side. I hate it so much.
You can adjust the gain. I’ve helped other guys adjust their UFlyMike’s. Most guys don’t know that it is adjustable.

T-Swift

Flew with a guy who very much enjoyed the “getavee” solution instead of uflymike for the QC25/35

Inverted

Resignation in lieu of champ
I have the Harmony/QC25 as a backuo headset and I really don’t like this. The microphone sensitivity is not great and the 3 way gain adjustment on it sucks.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
It’s not as much as $400, but yes, they’ll credit toward the 3. Probably going to spring for it this month, I gave the Bose a chance to make a second impression before spending the cash but they just don’t work for me.
Guy in my club last night was telling me that Lightspeed will CONVERT a Zulu 2 set to a Zulu 3 for around $200.

I've been a fan of the QT Halo for quite a while but it has a couple of quirks I'm not wild about lately. For longer flights - 2-3 hours, I really like it, but taking it off and on for a bunch of shorter flights can be a bit of a hassle, IMHO. I'm toying with the idea of getting a used set of Zulu 2s or 3s. I had an A20 and used it for a few months and it was not comfortable for me at all. Performed beautifully, but hurt after an hour or so.

Max Power

I'm in the market for a headset and I really want to like these. I like these better than the Clarity's in style, if not execution. Seems awfully cumbersome. But I'm not willing to drop $1000 to find out, risk free or not. Just not an in ear fan, but these aren't as in-ear as the Clarity Aloft. I have Zulu 2's right now and I like them, but after trying a pair of Bose last year when the LS's were in for repairs, I'll probably go for the A20's if I pull the trigger.

The 74 is loud. -11 is like a church up front in cruise.
My favorite are the dudes that either use the speaker or the terrible company headset and then bitch about “these damn Chinese controllers! I don’t get how you can understand them so well!”

Let’s see...I’ve been doing this for way less time and most days I have a hard time forming a sentence in my own language. It’s the headset.

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Guy in my club last night was telling me that Lightspeed will CONVERT a Zulu 2 set to a Zulu 3 for around $200.

I've been a fan of the QT Halo for quite a while but it has a couple of quirks I'm not wild about lately. For longer flights - 2-3 hours, I really like it, but taking it off and on for a bunch of shorter flights can be a bit of a hassle, IMHO. I'm toying with the idea of getting a used set of Zulu 2s or 3s. I had an A20 and used it for a few months and it was not comfortable for me at all. Performed beautifully, but hurt after an hour or so.
What are the couple of quirks? I've had to fiddle with some "hot spots" that form with the wire, but otherwise, still going strong.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I tried them on at sun n fun. The headset band is designed to be positioned further forward on the top of your head, and the sides of the band still clamp your head. The in ear plugs are this awkward design that requires you to push in and rotate for it to seal properly. (no I didn't put those gross things in my head after 8,000 other overweight sweaty cheapskate pilots)
I've been using the CAs for 3 years, in GA, survey and 121 and it's still going. The Bose felt awkward with the head band position, and it looked weird. I wanted to like it, but couldn't

killbilly

What are the couple of quirks? I've had to fiddle with some "hot spots" that form with the wire, but otherwise, still going strong.
The cords tend to get twisted no matter how I coil/gently store it - kinda the way a yo-yo string gets after several flicks, you know? I'm STILL trying to figure out how to prevent that.

It's also just a little awkward to put on and take off repeatedly. Because it's so light, getting it to sit stably while I'm messing with getting the cord separated from the ear tube on the left and keeping everything from tangling with itself can be a hassle. It's a nitpicky thing, and once it's on I don't notice it, but getting to that point can be a fiddly business. There's something to be head for the ease of just donning the head clamp.

My problem is that I haven't found a head clamp that didn't feel like a vise - I think a LS might come close, though. I need to see if I can borrow/rent one for an extended tryout and see if I like it. Until then, my Halo is my go-to.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
The cords tend to get twisted no matter how I coil/gently store it - kinda the way a yo-yo string gets after several flicks, you know? I'm STILL trying to figure out how to prevent that.

It's also just a little awkward to put on and take off repeatedly. Because it's so light, getting it to sit stably while I'm messing with getting the cord separated from the ear tube on the left and keeping everything from tangling with itself can be a hassle. It's a nitpicky thing, and once it's on I don't notice it, but getting to that point can be a fiddly business. There's something to be head for the ease of just donning the head clamp.

My problem is that I haven't found a head clamp that didn't feel like a vise - I think a LS might come close, though. I need to see if I can borrow/rent one for an extended tryout and see if I like it. Until then, my Halo is my go-to.
I found the same thing with my CA's...as far as the cord being really particular about how it wants to go back in its case. They're fragile enough that I won't store them anywhere but my hard case for them. I also found now that I'm flying skydivers, I look behind me a lot, and it moves them around, so I'm debating just going back to my old Flightcomm Denali 1st Gen ANR's for them. I also have divers talking to me, and removing the ear plug and putting it back in is a process, easier to just move an ear cup.

killbilly

I found the same thing with my CA's...as far as the cord being really particular about how it wants to go back in its case. They're fragile enough that I won't store them anywhere but my hard case for them. I also found now that I'm flying skydivers, I look behind me a lot, and it moves them around, so I'm debating just going back to my old Flightcomm Denali 1st Gen ANR's for them. I also have divers talking to me, and removing the ear plug and putting it back in is a process, easier to just move an ear cup.
Yeah, exactly. For this kind of thing and shorter flights, I've gone back to my PA-1779T (a remarkably under-rated ANR headset, IMHO) and may continue to use that until I can afford an upgrade to a Lightspeed.

For longer XC flights, I love the Halo.

Max Power

I have Zulu 2's with a coiled cord but GA plugs. Worked pretty good on the captains side of the Dash, strung over the sun visor rail. I figured since they coil anyway, might as well have them coiled to start. It's slightly easier to deal with but they still get coiled up pretty good ( no case, they ride in my flightcase since we still carry paper charts/manuals). Although I did have to have the battery box replaced and when they came back, the cords don't seem to coil as bad.

KLB

I tried them on at sun n fun. The headset band is designed to be positioned further forward on the top of your head, and the sides of the band still clamp your head. The in ear plugs are this awkward design that requires you to push in and rotate for it to seal properly. (no I didn't put those gross things in my head after 8,000 other overweight sweaty cheapskate pilots)
I've been using the CAs for 3 years, in GA, survey and 121 and it's still going. The Bose felt awkward with the head band position, and it looked weird. I wanted to like it, but couldn't
The ear plugs are standard for bose in ear headphones. These are my earbuds I use while running.

Attachments