Best Route to Iran

mrivc211

I had a Persian gf for 8 years, some of my lifelong friends are from Iran. I eat their food 2-3 days a week. I think it’s time for a visit. What’s the easiest airline/route to take from the West Coast. I’ll be buying a ticket. And tips? Dos and donts?

Stone Cold

I had a Persian gf for 8 years, some of my lifelong friends are from Iran. I eat their food 2-3 days a week. I think it’s time for a visit. What’s the easiest airline/route to take from the West Coast. I’ll be buying a ticket. And tips? Dos and donts?
I'm not sure what the status of the sanctions are in Europe, but when I was flying business jets to Tehran, you'd see Middle East carriers and some Eastern European carriers, and that was it.

If I were wanting to go, I'd look into the ME3. Otherwise, you're talking Aeroflot or Ukraine International, or Aeros_it. All can get you there from the US.

Having said all that, 2010 was the last time I was there.

Let us know what customs does/ says upon return too. Out of all the times I was there, I was only questioned once. Go figure.

citrus

Sound of the suburbs
Not sure if you're a US citizen but my first thought was to check US State Dept.'s site and my initial inkling was right, they have Iran designated as a "Do Not Travel" country.
Iran Travel Advisory

All that aside, your best bet would be EK, QR or TK if you're travelling from the west coast.

touch-n-go

EK is a good one to fly from west coast. LAX, SFO or SEA-DXB. Then DXB-Tehran. I think EK only flies to Tehran in Iran so am not sure if you were looking to go to other cites.

mrivc211

I grew up summers in Dubai as dad was a EK pilot so I’m thinking that’s the way to go. A friend that lives there says there’s a good chance I’ll be harassed. I’m still not scared enough to go

Pilot Fighter

I grew up summers in Dubai as dad was a EK pilot so I’m thinking that’s the way to go. A friend that lives there says there’s a good chance I’ll be harassed. I’m still not scared enough to go
Unless you are running around waving an American flag and handing out Bibles, you are just going to be mistaken for any number of Europeans visiting Iran on business or on vacation. When your nationality is discovered, you're likely to be treated even better by just about everyone you meet. Iranians know they have a PR problem. Show an interest in the Shia flavor of Islam and you'll likely be introduced to an Imam that would be happy to drink tea with the "people of the book".

The Americans that get in trouble are most often exercising bad decision-making. Stay away from groups that are critical of the government and don't attend Christian services in the homes of Iranian Christians.

Contact the Iranian Interests Section in DC and discuss your travel plans and interests.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
AMS or CDG. KLM and Air Fronnnnnnce fly there daily.

Skåning

Yeah you'll be fine. Went to Mashhad a few time when I was flying corporate out of Dubai, but I used my other passport (Swedish). Keep in mind you'll need a visa to enter, not sure how you'd go about getting that. Our company set it up for us and we had to go the embassy in Dubai in person to have it stuck in our passports.

When you're there you shouldn't have any issues as long as you exercise some common sense. I'd suggest taking a bit of cash, your ATM cards wont work over there because they aren't on the western banking system. Some good old Benjamin's should get you by ok.

Oh and enjoy the interesting aviation stuff! Like this IranAir MD-80 I saw, still with Continental gold and grey!

mrivc211

I’m not usually a nervous guy, but the thought of me(an American) on a Iranian airfield taking pictures of planes doeant sound like it would go well for me. Lol.

I’m screwed in America and Iran!!!!!

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Unless you are running around waving an American flag and handing out Bibles, you are just going to be mistaken for any number of Europeans visiting Iran on business or on vacation. When your nationality is discovered, you're likely to be treated even better by just about everyone you meet. Iranians know they have a PR problem. Show an interest in the Shia flavor of Islam and you'll likely be introduced to an Imam that would be happy to drink tea with the "people of the book".

The Americans that get in trouble are most often exercising bad decision-making. Stay away from groups that are critical of the government and don't attend Christian services in the homes of Iranian Christians.

Contact the Iranian Interests Section in DC and discuss your travel plans and interests.
This dude is a Mullah. He won't have any trouble.