BA vs NY Approach

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Speedbird is notorious for this crap. Needs a specific speed on final, listens to you telling everyone in front of them to maintain 180kts til the faf, doesn’t say anything until you tell them then they’re like “oh no we can’t do that.” A little heads up would be appreciated! Or you slow them to 210 and in the most pretentious British voice they can muster they’re all “oh no sir we will do Two One Three knots.”

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Speedbird is notorious for this crap. Needs a specific speed on final, listens to you telling everyone in front of them to maintain 180kts til the faf, doesn’t say anything until you tell them then they’re like “oh no we can’t do that.” A little heads up would be appreciated! Or you slow them to 210 and in the most pretentious British voice they can muster they’re all “oh no sir we will do Two One Three knots.”
I mean, at least he told you? I think.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I actually recognize the voice of the BA pilot as for sure having given me an unsolicited "Happy Shark Week" in the past and many initial "Ahoy" calls. Interesting to hear this as the reason his voice stands out to me is for being one of the friendliest BA pilots I've worked with. Seems like the controller was cool about it, gotta do what you gotta do.

Pilot Fighter

I thought the controller was pretty professional.
The controller had a plan, a plan she probably ran time after time, she stuck to her plan.

I'm sure she let him fly any numbers he wanted to on his second approach.

That said, I didn't have a big problem with BA guy wanting to stick with his plan and appealing her request for 180. After she canceled the clearance that should have been the end of the debate.

Nark

Sheepdog
Hong Kong was after? I want to say Christmas time.

I remember a story where upon the Japanese had the POW's build Kai Tak, but being cheeky, the Brits poured/layed whatever... the runway so poorly, the first Japanese aircraft landed, and sunk in, severely damaging it.

Pilot Fighter

Hong Kong was after? I want to say Christmas time.

I remember a story where upon the Japanese had the POW's build Kai Tak, but being cheeky, the Brits poured/layed whatever... the runway so poorly, the first Japanese aircraft landed, and sunk in, severely damaging it.
Colonel Saito wouldn't let the British POW's build a proper runway.

Otherwise, he seemed a reasonable type.

Richman

Whats remarkable is that the ATC system in the UK blows, especially for GA pilots. Talk to those guys who fly over here, and they describe a luminous, silky eden, filled with a virtual cornucopia of free ATC services, given simply for the asking by unfailingly polite controllers.

I listened to one guy describe some unbelievable ATC service he got one day...I mean, this guy really went on and on about it like it was something uber special, and after a time, I realized he had just gotten a pop-up IFR clearance.

Props to the controller above. She was full of chill.

Prino

I
they’re like that here Too

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
This is nothing new Speedturd has been pulling this crap back in the 1980s too
Weren’t you based at one of the RAFs during your time? If so, did US controllers ever work Brit traffic? Just wonder if there was any arrogance of “why do I have to talk to some yank over my own country to get permission for anything” lol

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
In Speedbird's defense that may be more of a company requirement than pilot skill or arrogance.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I'll be devils advocate. He was already cleared for the ILS approach. If she needed a speed, why not assign right here with the ILS approach clearance? Looks like the spacing was getting tight so the speed clearance came afterwards. Cleared at 0:20 and then the speed thing happened at 0:54. I don't know if there's time acceleration in this video? Regardless, most likely guess is the BA pilot had already got in a notch of flaps that made 180 no longer possible.

Regardless, there is miscommunication. She says do 180 or greater til 5. He says he can only do 160 or greater til 5. Talking past each other. My only question to the BA would be, "what speed exactly can you do until 5 out?"

And the BA pilot should have answered the question "when you gonna slow to 160?"

And after the useless back n forth, he says yes maam I can reduce to 160 now. Sounds like he was around 170ish?

Reason for approach clearance cancellation? "I need you to maintain 160 for at least 3 more miles."

He already was doing 160 or greater. Miscommunication on both their ends.