Aviation Seminars FIRC

zx6rrider

Anyone ever use the in person FIRC from Aviation Seminars? I got my CFI 4 yrs ago and never got to use it much but now that we have settled would like to start instructing part time. I'm thinking it might be more informative then the American Flyers one again and be a good way to get to know some of the local instructors but not sure if its worth the extra 225 bucks?

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
I'm going through the American Flyers version right now. Kind of seems like a waste of time but if it beats having to do a checkride should I ever decide to be a CFI again, I'll take it.

RECOVER

I used aviation seminars for instrument and commercial, they combine private and commercial class together. As far as FIRC i have no experience with them. Its fairly standard ground training and endorsements i did not feel comfortable taking written tests after either session and just waited until i was more prepared. If you think its worth the fee for 2 days out at an FBO it will get you the endorsement as far as sessions size i couldn't tell you but they usually get people to come out inst was 6 and pvt commercial was 10 with me being the only commercial. It would get you to meet the people at the FBO where its being hosted. Be prepared for a very long 1-2 day powerpoint.

MidlifeFlyer

Anyone ever use the in person FIRC from Aviation Seminars? I got my CFI 4 yrs ago and never got to use it much but now that we have settled would like to start instructing part time. I'm thinking it might be more informative then the American Flyers one again and be a good way to get to know some of the local instructors but not sure if its worth the extra 225 bucks?
An in-person FIRC (I did AOPA a few times a long time ago) has the advantage of human interaction and discussion, which can definitely make the process far more interesting and fun. But although there are stylistic variations, the course content tends to be similar since they are all approved by the FAA. So whether it's worth the extra $$ is your call.

zx6rrider

Thanks for all the thoughts.....Was hoping to hear the seminar was a little more educational and entertaining but sounds like material will be the same. Guess Ill save some money and do the AF version again in my spare time at work.

lhornaday

I did an in person seminar for my last renewal through them. The attendees (about 20 total) were mostly airline, corporate, or retirement aged. So there wasn't a lot they could bring into a CFI discussion. There was some group work and opportunities to practice teaching that I enjoyed. I'm doing their online version now. So far I think the online content is very good. Hope that helps!